Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

warning to heathcare professionals

warning to heathcare professionals

Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice
Default warning to heathcare professionals

Here is a warning to any nurses or healthcare professionals about to enter british Columbia
The major health authorites are currently merging and making sweeping cut backs
here in BC they opperate a seniority system that if somebody with greater seniority can bump off and take the job with somebody less. Its very much last in first out and with the work visa it can seriously cock up your immigration plans
working visas only will cover one healthcare authority and there are 5 in BC if you have to apply to another health authority its $140 dollars per person and approx a 3 month wait it sucks!!!
Also a tip from experience is to check pay scales as soon as you start. I worked for PHSA and they ripped foreign workers off where ever they could and refused to back pay. Be careful they are the worst employers I have ever worked for
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of
Default Re: warning to heathcare professionals

It doesn't even have to be last in first out as in my place of work there have been several staff join since I started but they have been allowed to port (transfer) their seniority so infact if there are job cuts then it will be me that goes.
Saying that we have made the decision to go home and that really would not worry me now but 2 months ago (before house sold) definitely.

Any nurse considering coming to BC should really check out with nurses on this site for first hand information because the employer and union do not always make clear the nitty gritty of being an internationally educated nurse employed in BC (aka 2nd class citizen IMO)

Elaine

Last edited by Griff; Nov 16th 2009 at 2:44 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

I hope VCH don't resort to this, I've been here nearly 2 years and have the same problem even though others have started after me I'm still at the bottom with regards to seniority......
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

kazchug it is nothing to do with VCH it is the BCNU rules so in which case - yes it applies to you.

I know it sucks...
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Do all health care professionals have such accomplished grammar?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:57 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, BC unions. What a surprise.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:32 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Oh, BC unions. What a surprise.
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but don't most UK unions have a last in, first out policy?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but don't most UK unions have a last in, first out policy?

I think they do but what we are highlighting here is that the BC union does not...I am 4th in but would be first out in my current circumstances