Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

WARNING - Canadain Affair

WARNING - Canadain Affair

Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

montpro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WARNING - Canadain Affair

Just to let you all know about the poor service I have received from Canadian Affair. We booked our flights through them and also booked our seats going out and back (extra cost!) to ensure our family of 5 were seated together (especially as we have 3 children, one being only 3). The trip out was fine but on the trip back our seats were given to someone else and we were offered seats in a 3 -2 configuration across at different parts of the plane. The check staff said there was nothing they could do and we needed to take it up with Canadian Affair. I have tried taking it up with canadia affair but they are extremely arrogant and dont seem to want to do anything about it.

On talking to other people on the flight it appears as though this is common practise for Canadian Affair and anyone paying for allocated return seats should be very careful.

My advice is to go with Fly Zoom.

Last edited by montpro; Jun 14th 2008 at 3:17 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WARNING - Canadain Affair

I think it depends very much on the airline they booked you on, which was...?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
I think it depends very much on the airline they booked you on, which was...?
FWIW I would always rather book with the airline directly.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, especially as it is usually cheaper (albeit by a dollar or two). We've had the best service from Transat and Thomas Cook, over the years.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

We booked with Canadian Affair, on the way out it was a claustrophic nightmare, tiny seats, overheated plane, stuffy. That was Air transat Airbus. On the way back we had Thomas Cook and it was great. They had a family of 5 who werent seated together so they asked us to move seats, which we were happy to do as long as our seats were still together. Then they also had to move another couple who werent seated together. TC had moved them to be seated together thinking this was a good thing, but the couple had prebooked aisle seats across from each other. It was complicated but TV staff did everything they could to be helpful. PLus they gave us free drinks for moving, bonus!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:55 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
We booked with Canadian Affair, on the way out it was a claustrophic nightmare, tiny seats, overheated plane, stuffy. That was Air transat Airbus. On the way back we had Thomas Cook and it was great. They had a family of 5 who werent seated together so they asked us to move seats, which we were happy to do as long as our seats were still together. Then they also had to move another couple who werent seated together. TC had moved them to be seated together thinking this was a good thing, but the couple had prebooked aisle seats across from each other. It was complicated but TV staff did everything they could to be helpful. PLus they gave us free drinks for moving, bonus!

Mr Oldbag flew with Canadian Affair about four years ago and booked a seat with extra leg room. He was seated right at the emergency escape hatch which has.....much LESS leg room. So he took photographs, using another passengers newspaper folded on the floor to show how small the space was. These we sent to My Travel, the airline used at that time by Can Aff. We did eventually get a refund of the extra cost and an apology. Took a few weeks and more than a few strong words, but we got it in the end.
I've travelled with Canadian Affair several times, and each time been lucky enough to be on a Thomas Cook flight. Last October I booked direct with Air Transat....horrible, horrible, horrible. It took hours for me to unfurl and I still tend to eat with my elbows jammed into my ribs and my knees under my chin. Coming back although it was Air Transat, it was a Thomas Cook plane........much better. In march we went with Zoom, and have booked our last flight home with Zoom......better flight times, better plane, better leg room and better price!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:00 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you even book with Thomas Cook direct - I looked before and couldn't find anywhere that had TC flights to Canada other than Canadian Affair...?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:38 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Can you even book with Thomas Cook direct - I looked before and couldn't find anywhere that had TC flights to Canada other than Canadian Affair...?
I believe you can but I don't know how the prices compare with Canadian Affair. Here's the link..........

http://www.thomascookairlines.co.uk/

I've just had a quick look at the website, and although it gives Toronto as one of the airports served, it's not givning me any flight details!

Last edited by Jay Bird; Jun 14th 2008 at 4:42 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:28 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag

I've just had a quick look at the website, and although it gives Toronto as one of the airports served, it's not givning me any flight details!
That's what I mean - seems Canadian Affair is the only way of booking them....
Old Jun 14th 2008, 6:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of threads on this forum about flight experiences people have and there are good and bad with all of them.

Nobody would fly with anyone if everyone decided not to fly with an airline because someone else had a problem.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 6:35 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There are plenty of threads on this forum about flight experiences people have and there are good and bad with all of them.

Nobody would fly with anyone if everyone decided not to fly with an airline because someone else had a problem.
Ditto with banks..... and probably everything else in life!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by montpro
Just to let you all know about the poor service I have received from Canadian Affair. We booked our flights through them and also booked our seats going out and back (extra cost!) to ensure our family of 5 were seated together (especially as we have 3 children, one being only 3). The trip out was fine but on the trip back our seats were given to someone else and we were offered seats in a 3 -2 configuration across at different parts of the plane. The check staff said there was nothing they could do and we needed to take it up with Canadian Affair. I have tried taking it up with canadia affair but they are extremely arrogant and dont seem to want to do anything about it.

On talking to other people on the flight it appears as though this is common practise for Canadian Affair and anyone paying for allocated return seats should be very careful.

My advice is to go with Fly Zoom.
I agree, I thought Zoom was excellent for a low cost carrier.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

tracy-cheshire.UK is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in a similar situation last year on our return trip from Vancouver. We had pre-booked seats in premium cabin and on arrival at the airport were told that they had been double-booked.

OH and I had to sit in different rows and it really wasn't a pleasant end to the holiday as I got all stressed out about it.

We were with My Travel and they said it was Canadian Affairs' fault. Surprisingly they wanted nothing to do with it, when I got back to the UK I sent a letter of complaint and they said it was the airline at fault.

I wouldn't bother wasting your time complaining - all I got was the £7 pre-book charge refunded !
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

I just got back from our recce last night booked canadian affair flying with thomas cook both ways from Gatwick to Calgary and I have no complaints at all.

Leg room was fine service was great no probs with seats we paid 9 pound extra for our seats delay on way out but not that bad these things happen.

Plane on the way back was better as it was newer and TV screens were better,also plane wasn´t full so we could all spread out and have a row to our selves to sleep.

All in all a pleasent experience and I will be booking our next flights out with them and would certainly recomend them much better than ryanair anyday.

Oh and also a lot cheaper than zoom and booking with thomas cook direct to go direct it would have cost 400 pounds more than I paid and that wasn´t prebooking seats or the car hire included.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by allicat001
I just got back from our recce last night booked canadian affair flying with thomas cook both ways from Gatwick to Calgary and I have no complaints at all.

Leg room was fine service was great no probs with seats we paid 9 pound extra for our seats delay on way out but not that bad these things happen.

Plane on the way back was better as it was newer and TV screens were better,also plane wasn´t full so we could all spread out and have a row to our selves to sleep.

All in all a pleasent experience and I will be booking our next flights out with them and would certainly recomend them much better than ryanair anyday.

Oh and also a lot cheaper than zoom and booking with thomas cook direct to go direct it would have cost 400 pounds more than I paid and that wasn´t prebooking seats or the car hire included.

We have flown with Canadian Affair two years in a row and were happy with the three flights that were Thomas Cook. The air transat flight was awful. Service was rubbish, the plane was making all sorts of noises and the floor under my feet was vibrating!

I was very glad when we arrived!

We are flying with them again in August!

Last edited by tracys; Jun 14th 2008 at 11:24 pm. Reason: add info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.