Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Want to study in Canada... Anyone got first hand knowledge?

Want to study in Canada... Anyone got first hand knowledge?

Old Nov 16th 2015, 2:40 pm
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future
Default Want to study in Canada... Anyone got first hand knowledge?

I'm now a PR living in Ontario, and would like to go to college and maybe even university...
Im from the UK, and I completed my GCSE's and did some A levels which I assume would be Grade 12 in Canada?

Anyone got any recent info / advice?
I'm getting my certs sent from the UK
but do i need to get my qualifications recognized in Canada?

thanks

Last edited by snuggs; Nov 16th 2015 at 2:42 pm. Reason: typo
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to study in Canada... Anyone got first hand knowledge?

Ontario Immigration - Adult Education
Ontario Workinfonet (OnWIN) - Links - Preparing for Further Education

Those might be of help until you get some other answers!

Old Nov 17th 2015, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

We came over 5 years ago, just after my daughter did her GCSEs. To go to high school, she had to go through an organisation PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) to get her grades 'translated' into credits for the school to accept. They also gave her credit volunteer hours for things she'd done as part of her Duke of Edinburgh. Perhaps worth looking at this?
Old Nov 17th 2015, 10:58 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I only did High School in the UK, but am now enrolled at Simon Fraser University for a part time bachelors degree. I only had to provide my English GCSE and Math's (which wasn't a pass so I have to do an equivalent course). Maybe take a look at some of the universities and see if they offer courses for mature students?
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
Maybe take a look at some of the universities and see if they offer courses for mature students?
Not sure what age has to to with it, to get into university you need the right subjects and grades and to be breathing. Courses don't vary by age groups.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

If you are free Saturday https://www.fanshawec.ca/about-fansh...-us/open-house

They should have people there to advise. Quite often they will look at mature students and be more lenient with admission requirements.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:53 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not sure what age has to to with it, to get into university you need the right subjects and grades and to be breathing. Courses don't vary by age groups.
I just needed to show I had my GCSE English and I was accepted. The OP said he has GCSE's and A Levels so I can't imagine he would have any issues with enrolling. Yes it depends on the subject, and they haven't said what their goal was.

My point was that I had enrolled in a degree program with less education in the UK than the OP.