Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Calgary but confused as to best method.

Want to move to Calgary but confused as to best method.

Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

somtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to move to Calgary but confused as to best method.

Hi
Myself and partner have been looking at moving to the Calgary area of Canada but the more we research the more confused we become .
Iam a degree qualified in civil engineering and have spent the last 25 years working on civil and building jobs as a setting out/site engineer. My partner has worked in the care sector and or hospitality but is currently unemployed.
My questions are if we were to go the TWP route do we both need to apply separately or if I was to get one would that enable my partner to work.
It looks to me that you can only get a TWP if you have a job offer which seems to be harder to get these days.
Looking at going straight down the PR route on the grounds of skilled worker I can get to 67 points without a job offer but not sure if my work experience would fall under the Construction Manager category.
Assuming yes how long does this take.
I believe civil engineers and hotel hospitaility workers are on a list of wanted people in Alberta at least thats what i read.
Also at this time I could not prove the settlement money as it would involve selling our cars to raise the neccessary funds.
Any advice on the best way forward would be most appreciated.
Peter
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:09 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Calgary but confused as to best method.

Not an expert, but maybe the way would be to come out on a visit/research trip and try to secure a job offer to come on a TWP.
Research first and find companies to approach, but it's often difficult to make companies accept you as serious while you are contacting them from outside of Canada.

Once you were here on TWP you could apply for PR. And yes, if one of you gets a TWP the spouse is allowed an open work permit too ...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Many thanks for the info about the spouse getting an open work permit, thats good news, unfortunately at the moment we cant really afford to do a recce trip as that would leave us with little money to then move out to Canada.
Peter
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by somtec
Looking at going straight down the PR route on the grounds of skilled worker I can get to 67 points without a job offer but not sure if my work experience would fall under the Construction Manager category.
Do you:

Construction managers perform some or all of the following duties:

* Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate construction projects from start to finish according to schedule, specifications and budget
* Prepare and submit construction project budget estimates
* Plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress against established schedules
* Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and subcontractors
* Develop and implement quality control programs
* Represent company on matters such as business services and union contracts negotiation
* Prepare progress reports and issue progress schedules to clients
* Direct the purchase of building materials and land acquisitions
* Hire and supervise the activities of subcontractors and subordinate staff.
?

If so, then you do, if not then you don't.

Assuming yes how long does this take.
6-12 months currently.

Also at this time I could not prove the settlement money as it would involve selling our cars to raise the neccessary funds.
Do you own your home? I understand that London will accept equity in a home as proof of funds at the application stage, but they will need to be liquid at the time you land in Canada.

Also, you need to be realistic about the cost of all this. If you are young, and have a job lined up in advance it is possible to arrive with a knapsack and a couple of thousand dollars in your pocket and make a go of things. However, if you need to transport possessions over, need to get a place to live and a car when you get here, and need to fund yourself until you find work then the minimum funds required by CIC are not going to get you very far. Some have suggested that a budget of UKP20,000 for a family is not unreasonable.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Many thanks for the info about the spouse getting an open work permit, thats good news, unfortunately at the moment we cant really afford to do a recce trip as that would leave us with little money to then move out to Canada.
Peter
Then I suspect you are between a rock and a hard place. It really does cost money to emigrate ... lots. If you can't afford to visit, you will probably find it hard to get a job IMHO.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks again for your replies.
Looking at the list of requirements that fit a construction manager then i do carry out suprvisory duties and quality control so that would probably work.

Ive probably made it sound that we dont have any money at all but I do own my own house so if we sold up completely then there would be money available.

Peter
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks again for your replies.
Looking at the list of requirements that fit a construction manager then i do carry out suprvisory duties and quality control so that would probably work.

Ive probably made it sound that we dont have any money at all but I do own my own house so if we sold up completely then there would be money available.

Peter
Look on the immigration thread as there have been a few refusals recently for people appplying under a certain NOC code and being turned down as they cannot prove they have the experience in most of the things on the list.

There is a thread on there by someone asking - how you quantify "some" duties. Personally I would think it would be by being able to prove you can do (by letters of reference) about 80% of things on the list. Though thats just a personal opinion.

If you are saying you just do 2 things on there then i'm afraid that probably wouldn't be enough.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Look on the immigration thread as there have been a few refusals recently for people appplying under a certain NOC code and being turned down as they cannot prove they have the experience in most of the things on the list.

There is a thread on there by someone asking - how you quantify "some" duties. Personally I would think it would be by being able to prove you can do (by letters of reference) about 80% of things on the list. Though thats just a personal opinion.

If you are saying you just do 2 things on there then i'm afraid that probably wouldn't be enough.
I agreed with mandymoochops you will need to prove to have experience in the majority of the duties as detailed in your chosen 'NOC'

regards
Joinerboy
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:41 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Peter
Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Then I suspect you are between a rock and a hard place. It really does cost money to emigrate ... lots. If you can't afford to visit, you will probably find it hard to get a job IMHO.
Once again Rose saves me time (and somtec from my sarcasm)

And Mandy saves me even more time.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:46 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

we are your saviours today Butch - and considering its my first day off the fags I think I've been pretty restrained (although Darcy is adamant he's buying me some tomorrow - somrthing about my interviewer not suffering the same fate he has today )
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:54 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

we are your saviours today Butch - and considering its my first day off the fags I think I've been pretty restrained (although Darcy is adamant he's buying me some tomorrow - somrthing about my interviewer not suffering the same fate he has today )
Hun, If I was in the area I'd lend you a couple (and buy you a coffee )