Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Waiting... Waiting... Waiting... How to stay Sane!!

Waiting... Waiting... Waiting... How to stay Sane!!

Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice
Default Waiting... Waiting... Waiting... How to stay Sane!!

As the title says! How do people keep themselves sane during the waiting period? This emotional roller coaster of wondering every day if today is the day we get an update is a toughy!! How do you all cope and stop your selves going a bit doolally!!

Ails
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waiting... Waiting... Waiting... How to stay Sane!!

Looks like you're too late babes, they've all gone mad.

wibble wibble

Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Dunno. Most of us flipped ages ago.

3 years for us in April, and 2 applications... still waiting...
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave
As the title says! How do people keep themselves sane during the waiting period? This emotional roller coaster of wondering every day if today is the day we get an update is a toughy!! How do you all cope and stop your selves going a bit doolally!!

Ails
you know i just got on with my life and never even thought about it..in fact i got with my life so much i almost never ended up leaving in the end.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

Ails
Hi Alisa,

We posted our application in 2009 and have only just received medical requests. The processing times then were 13 months. We put our lives on hold and stalked the postman for a while. Then when we saw the processing times increase for the third and fourth times we decided to just get on with life or we'd go mad. OH got a promotion at work, I got a Masters and the kids have both almost finished school.

In the meantime, I've found that doing things like sorting out the loft, de-cluttering, deciding what's going and what's staying helped me feel like I was doing something positive in preparation for the move but has helped stop me obsessing about it.

I totally sympathise and understand how frustrating it is. Hopefully in a couple of years we will see the funny side of all of this
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

With all due respect, you've not really been waiting for that long.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:56 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
+1

It took close to 4 years for my PR application to come to fruition.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Ails
Why not plan your return to the UK?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by jericho
Lol This time around.... we first started the process in 1996...
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Trying to do the same, just getting on with life! Congrats on getting your med requests finally!

Yes I'm sure in a few years we'll all look back and wonder why we put ourselves through it and laugh!

Originally Posted by beckybev
Hi Alisa,

We posted our application in 2009 and have only just received medical requests. The processing times then were 13 months. We put our lives on hold and stalked the postman for a while. Then when we saw the processing times increase for the third and fourth times we decided to just get on with life or we'd go mad. OH got a promotion at work, I got a Masters and the kids have both almost finished school.

In the meantime, I've found that doing things like sorting out the loft, de-cluttering, deciding what's going and what's staying helped me feel like I was doing something positive in preparation for the move but has helped stop me obsessing about it.

I totally sympathise and understand how frustrating it is. Hopefully in a couple of years we will see the funny side of all of this
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:41 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

This might be a long shot, but have you thought about doing volunteer work in the mean time? All that good karma and that :-)

I volunteered at the heart and stroke foundation while waiting for my PR
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Each day is a step fullward and closer to our dream
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Fitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really nice

We waited for four years and have been here in Montreal for one. Via work I have been back to the UK twice, each time slapping my forehead saying "before we left I wish I had done more....." Such as re-visit a couple of favourite locales inland and on the coast. Meet up with some more friends, for longer, and go see the art galleries and exhibitions I thought we would eventually get to.

Maybe fill up on the things you like the most before, eventually - and hopefully - departing to Canada. Having travelled around the globe for extended work periods I can attest to daily life quickly becoming ordinary; I remember hurrying past the Eiffel tower without looking up and driving along the Rio beachfront without gazing out to sea after two weeks of repetition and rushing to the office.

Enjoy it now and hope it comes off ok for you.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Canada as a visitor in January 2002, married in December 2003 - went back to the UK for 1 week in December 2004 to get paperwork that was in storage, been here ever since. I would have gone back to get it earlier but finances didn't allow.

I submitted my application for inland spousal PR February 16th 2005 and got my final approval in January 2010, landed at the local CIC office on January 10th 2010 - my son who was outland family PR landed February 26th, 5 years and 10 days after we submitted.

It was the longest, most frustrating episode of my life.

Still think you have been waiting a long time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.