Wahooo!

Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wahooo!

Originally Posted by jericho
However, we're not desperate to leave the UK.
There's not much point in me accepting a job if the salary is unaffordable.
An extra $5k might not sound like a lot, but as someone else pointed out, it could cover the cost of a car for instance.

Thanks again...
Contrary some on here, I certainly negotiated my salary from outside the country when I came (back) here 15 years ago. I said exactly what jericho implied in the first post... that I was concerned about mortgage multipliers and high houses prices in Toronto. Hey presto, another 10% was suddenly on the table.

Bear in mind that starting salary is the base point for all future cost of living percentage rise calculations, so that initial 10% hike has now "compounded" into many more $/year than at first.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:29 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

There's not much point in me accepting a job if the salary is unaffordable.
An extra $5k might not sound like a lot, but as someone else pointed out, it could cover the cost of a car for instance.
Unafordable is subjective, as many on here have accepted way less because their sole objective was to get into the country. The rest sorts itself out over the course of time. I took a way lower salary and position, however now am doing way better than would have done in the UK. After tax, it might cover a beater, but not much of a car, it might do the insurance though.

The fact that we're applying from outside Canada shouldnt mean I'm forced to accept a lower paying job. The company are obviously keen to get me, and I really want the job
The gamble is, do you want the job more or do they want you more? However nobody is forcing you are they? I guess it's down to how much of a chance you want to take. Unfortunately you will only know how keen they are when you ask the question and see what answer you get. While you are waiting could your permit expire and you are forced to take whatever you can get?

I'd rather stay here and take my chances of something better coming along, than accepting it and finding out it's not enough.
Back to the gamble, unless you have been flooded with high offers, there is a chance nothing better will come along. You may get a better offer once in Canada, on a PR permit, you are not tied to one employer. What if nothing better comes along?
Also, for what it's worth, the employer is a multi national company, with tens of thousands of staff around the world. They're not going to struggle by paying a few thousand dollars more, and I dont think they're going to run for the hills if I ask for a bit more. They also know Im coming to a new country with a family to support, and I would have thought they'd expect a little negotiation.
If you ask, you will soon find out. Being a large organization does not make them any more benevolent. I guess it also depends on whether they have a pool of people to choose from. They have to make money for the owners.

From your original post
I'm pretty pleased with that, I have to say.
So I guess it depends on whether you are or not.

Negotiation is about playing hard ball, being prepared to walk away if you don't get what you want. He who speaks first loses!

You might be able to ask if there is any room for movement on the salary, then decide.

Your question about being greedy, what do you think? It's your future.

Hope you get the answer you are looking for.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Feb 10th 2008 at 8:41 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:38 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Just as a matter of interest..........would you negotiate a higher salary if you in a similar situation in the UK - say, for example a relocation to a different part of the country? Or is it simply because it's a different country you think this might be the norm? Just interested to know......
Maybe I'm just a money grabbing opportunist, but have always figured that if you don't ask, you don't get.

As an employee it's always been the norm for me to negotiate. As an employer, I've always been open to someone wanting to haggle - I've always the right to say no, but I wouldn't choose someone else just because a candidate's made a polite or considered enquiry about what's on the table.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

The company that offered $48k have now come back asking what salary would entice me to join them. Im not sure its realistic for me to request another $25k, and I dont want to lose any credibility. Not quite sure what to do really. Even if they'd agree to up their offer to $70k ish, it would make me wonder why they didnt offer it in the first place.

However, I've gone back to the other company to see if there's any room for negotiation, and they've agreed to look in to it and let me know.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:36 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

The company that offered $48k have now come back asking what salary would entice me to join them. Im not sure its realistic for me to request another $25k, and I dont want to lose any credibility. Not quite sure what to do really. Even if they'd agree to up their offer to $70k ish, it would make me wonder why they didnt offer it in the first place.

However, I've gone back to the other company to see if there's any room for negotiation, and they've agreed to look in to it and let me know.
Seems to me that no matter what you're offered, by whoever, you're going to wonder and worry about it!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by oldbag
Seems to me that no matter what you're offered, by whoever, you're going to wonder and worry about it!
Anybody would think its a life changing decision...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

you can always tell them of your other offer, would make them think....
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
you can always tell them of your other offer, would make them think....
Nooooooo! That way they'll only match it at best. Unless one is in a much lower priced real estate environment than the other, what has he gained?

I forget what the other offer was now, let's say $65K. Tell the first company you've been offered $68k at least. And sweeten up the benefits while you're at it.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

Well, in the end, they agreed to increase the salary whilst still keeping the relocation package. I've gladly accepted.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:31 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in the end, they agreed to increase the salary whilst still keeping the relocation package. I've gladly accepted.
Congratulations, jericho. Well done. I'm glad for you.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been following this thread with interest.

A great big congratulations.

When does the proposed move take place?

All the best.
Steve
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:27 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Best of luck with your move
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Cheers all.
Now just for the small matter of going through the LMO process.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, big congrats to you.

I've also been following this thread with interest as I was interested to hear of others points of view. For what it's worth, I have always negotiated for jobs here in the UK and always been offered more than the originally stated salary (and I wasn't a high flier by any means, just a PA!). And hubby has been negotiating with companies in Canada and has in one instance got them to up their offer several times, eventually by $40k more than the original one!! (although admittedly he's got quite niche skills). But imo it's definitely worth asking the question.

Hope that the LMO process goes smoothly and congrats again - think a glass of bubbly must be in order!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.