Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vulnerable Sector check

Vulnerable Sector check

Old Jun 2nd 2016, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vulnerable Sector check

I've just started the RN Bridging program to become licenced as a nurse in Nova Scotia.
I am completing the theory online whilst living here in the UK. I have been asked to complete a vulnerable sector check because I will be working with vulnerable adults when I go over to complete practical placement hours.
Does anyone know how and where I get this done whilst still living here in the UK? I already have a police certificate but the Registered Nurses Development centre in Nova Scotia say this does not include a vulnerable Sector check, it just proves you have no criminal record.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vulnerable Sector check

Originally Posted by telgar32
I've just started the RN Bridging program to become licenced as a nurse in Nova Scotia.
I am completing the theory online whilst living here in the UK. I have been asked to complete a vulnerable sector check because I will be working with vulnerable adults when I go over to complete practical placement hours.
Does anyone know how and where I get this done whilst still living here in the UK? I already have a police certificate but the Registered Nurses Development centre in Nova Scotia say this does not include a vulnerable Sector check, it just proves you have no criminal record.
Did you not have to have an enhanced police check here in the UK to work as a nurse? I did and I wasn't even a nurse but worked in Pathology and occasionally had to do tests on young children. I would assume this is the sort of check they are asking for, however AFAIK, you can't get it done yourself.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

telgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond reputetelgar32 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Did you not have to have an enhanced police check here in the UK to work as a nurse? I did and I wasn't even a nurse but worked in Pathology and occasionally had to do tests on young children. I would assume this is the sort of check they are asking for, however AFAIK, you can't get it done yourself.
Yes, I did have a CRB check here in the U.K, to prove I have no criminal record. I've done that and provided Canada with my police certificate. They have said this doesn't include a vulnerable sector check. In Canada it appears that rcmp do this check separately, but only for people who already live in canada.
I'm trying to find how I get this done whilst I'm still living in the uk.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe it's possible to get one done in Canada unless you are living here, because they search the Canadian databases, not the UK ones.

I believe you need an Enhanced DBS check if you are in the UK. This is not the same as an ACRO police check which only gives details of criminal record.

Enhanced DBS Checks | Experian UK / Get my own background check | Experian UK or you can apply to the Police Force in your local area.
Enhanced DBS (CRB)

Complete criminal history checks, containing all conviction information, spent and unspent, and any other non-conviction information considered to be relevant by the police or other Government bodies
This type of DBS checking is available for positions involving work with children and vulnerable adults
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:03 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be in Canada, it cannot be done while you are living overseas. If anyone with the same name and DOB comes up in the check, you have to go in and get your fingerprints taken as well. It has to be done by the RCMP. Unless you are doing this for a volunteer position, there is a charge to get it done.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 1:44 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You have to be in Canada, it cannot be done while you are living overseas. If anyone with the same name and DOB comes up in the check, you have to go in and get your fingerprints taken as well. It has to be done by the RCMP. Unless you are doing this for a volunteer position, there is a charge to get it done.
Yes, that's what I think too. I am the Chair of our cadets, and my husband is a civilian instructor. We both had to have fingerprints and interviews, but we also had to give extensive background details of where we had come from. These were checked, as would be expected.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 3:42 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes, that's what I think too. I am the Chair of our cadets, and my husband is a civilian instructor. We both had to have fingerprints and interviews, but we also had to give extensive background details of where we had come from. These were checked, as would be expected.
I had to do one to instruct as well and of course someone with the same name and DOB came up as a crim and I had to have prints done.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I don't believe it's possible to get one done in Canada unless you are living here, because they search the Canadian databases, not the UK ones.

I believe you need an Enhanced DBS check if you are in the UK. This is not the same as an ACRO police check which only gives details of criminal record.

Enhanced DBS Checks | Experian UK / Get my own background check | Experian UK or you can apply to the Police Force in your local area.
Enhanced DBS (CRB)

Complete criminal history checks, containing all conviction information, spent and unspent, and any other non-conviction information considered to be relevant by the police or other Government bodies
This type of DBS checking is available for positions involving work with children and vulnerable adults
As it says in those links, the enhanced check can only be done by the employer unfortunately, so would have to be requested from Canada.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As it says in those links, the enhanced check can only be done by the employer unfortunately, so would have to be requested from Canada.
Oh you are quite right - I didn't see that until now, well spotted MikeL!

Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:46 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Oh you are quite right - I didn't see that until now, well spotted MikeL!

Yes, I knew because I have checks at both levels, enhanced through working and contact with young children, and the standard one through an organisation I was an officer of.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by telgar32
Ask your organisation-the Registered Nurses Development centre how to do vulnerable sector check and they will provide you with instruction how to do it for NS.

Vulnerable sector check for Toronto seems to be done via organization only but not sure for NS. so you need to check it out for NS.

no! UK CRB or police check is not enough. they will request Canada criminal check even though you never lived here.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:21 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

So I think and you need to check with nursing organization in Nova Scotia that you can start placement with a vulnerable sector check pending... You will need to have an address to complete the VS check with local OPP and so would need to be in country, but I have seen nursing jobs advertised with the caveat "must complete vulnerable sector check within X amount of time". My husband just got one done for a voluntary position and it tools two weeks. You need to double check this though!!!
Old Jun 7th 2016, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get one of these in the UK when I was involved in a research project where I had to interview high school students. The research team I worked with applied for the check (as far as I recall) and it was definitely different to the normal police you have to get for CIC applications.

S
Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:58 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I had to get one of these in the UK when I was involved in a research project where I had to interview high school students. The research team I worked with applied for the check (as far as I recall) and it was definitely different to the normal police you have to get for CIC applications.

S
The enhanced check also covers things they may have investigated you for, but never got to charging or even interviewing, so if you were a 'person of interest' in an investigation it will be there, even if you were cleared.