Reload this Page >

Visting USA for 3 days on IEC visa

Visting USA for 3 days on IEC visa

Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visting USA for 3 days on IEC visa

Hey,

Just wanted to check with those more knowledgeable than me! I think I am correct in saying that if I visit the US by car (over-land) then I do not need ESTA and simply need to show my passport and work permit (IEC) and I will be granted temporary entry on a visa waiver?

Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to allKitslane is a name known to all
Default Re: Visting USA for 3 days on IEC visa

yep that's right, when you're at the border they'll issue you a visa waiver (usually they'll ask you to pull aside and go into the building where they'll ask a few questions at the counter and issue your visa), its pretty simple...oh there may be a small fee too, i cant remember how much exactly but its not much at all
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

michty6 is on a distinguished road

I've done it a few times on IEC. No problems at all. They pull you into a building, make you sign some forms, scan your finger prints, take a picture and make you pay something like $12 US (they take credit card!).

EDIT: This is on a UK passport... You only need ESTA if you are flying into the USA.

Also the passport stamp they give you is either 60 days or 90 days (can't remember which) so if you need to cross again at some point in the future and the stamp is in date then you just get waved straight passed without the form filling etc!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

flo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to all

I had a question on this same subject. What if I go to the USA for say 2 weeks, then head back to Canada. If I want to go back to the USA after my Visa waiver has expired I.e. on the 91st day, would they let me back in? I've searched in this topic before, but there never seems to be a straight answer.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

michty6 is on a distinguished road

That should be fine. It would probably depend on the mood of the guy at the border. But as far as I'm aware back to back US tourist entries aren't that big a deal, especially if you have a Canadian visa. I think I've been in and out of the US on different 90 days tourist stamps probably 10 times in the last 5 years with no problems.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:03 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by flo-bee
I had a question on this same subject. What if I go to the USA for say 2 weeks, then head back to Canada. If I want to go back to the USA after my Visa waiver has expired I.e. on the 91st day, would they let me back in? I've searched in this topic before, but there never seems to be a straight answer.
Strictly speaking a non-PR of Canada would have to leave North America to "reset" the VWP 90 days, however it is up to the CBP officer's discretion, and this rule really exists to prevent people popping into Canada and back to the US to extend their visit. It is unlikely to be an issue, though the CBP officer can deny entry for pretty much any reason. Just remember to hand the I-94W to the CBSA officer in Canada when leaving the US for the last time in your 90 day window.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

jonesyp is an unknown quantity at this point

The Fee for the wavier is $6 only in US Dollars or Credit card. they don't accept Canadian.

I find the Aldergrove border crossing quieter for going inside.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help. Was pretty sure of how it worked but wanted to make sure!
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonesyp
The Fee for the wavier is $6 only in US Dollars or Credit card. they don't accept Canadian.

I find the Aldergrove border crossing quieter for going inside.
$6 US is right. Just be aware that some border crossings may not accept credit cards. Much easier to take some cash. Also, be prepared to be photographed and fingerprinted. Give yourself a couple of hours if the crossing will be busy.
Old May 6th 2013, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

craigallan90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am planning on going to LA before going to Vancouver. When I enter LA I will not have my IEC. Up until this point I thought all I would need is an ESTA Visa. However I have recently read in a different forum discussion that after the 90 days of your ESTA, you need to leave North America (inc Canada) otherwise you will be violating the rules. Obviously Canada will not have an issue with this as I will have registered the IEC Visa on entry. It will only be if I try and re-enter the States there will be a problem.

Can anybody clarify this? Or offer a solution to get around this which does not involve flying outside of North America?