Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Old May 6th 2013, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Originally Posted by james.mc
The airline check-in staff don't always know the legal/entry requirements of every country. Far be it from them to take advice from a passenger trying to talk their way onto a flight with a one way ticket! They will likely take the side of caution and boot you off, rather than give you the benefit of the doubt.
Not many reports out there of this happening for real - at least not by the airline. Probably less risk of problems if you fly with Air Canada rather than a charter airline. And an airline that sells a one-way ticket to country X is asking to be sued if they then don't provide transit.

People can be, and are, refused entry by Immigration, although even that is not common.

All that said, it's advisable to have a return ticket, and not necessarily more expensive either. However, at least for Canada, there is no evidence that it is mandatory.
Old May 6th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And an airline that sells a one-way ticket to country X is asking to be sued if they then don't provide transit.
They probably have been there, done that, got the proverbial T-shirt, and are now covering their backsides. Last time I bought a one-way ticket from Air Transat, I found the following at the end of the confirmation e-mail. Note the very last sentence...

General Information:
British citizens, British Overseas Citizens (who are re-admissible to the UK) and British Dependant Territories Citizens DO NOT require a visa to visit Canada.
British Visitors passports are not valid for travel to Canada.
British Subjects and British Protected Persons DO require a visitor visa to travel to Canada.
Please contact the Canadian High Commission by fax 020 7258 6506 or www.cic.gc.ca

Note: It is your responsibility to have a valid passport and any visas (including transit visas) required for your trip. All other nationalities and passport holders should contact the Canadian High Commission to check whether a visa is required for your trip.

If you are travelling on a one way ticket you must have either a correct entry visa, a return ticket or a Canadian passport.
Old May 6th 2013, 4:38 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not many reports out there of this happening for real - at least not by the airline. Probably less risk of problems if you fly with Air Canada rather than a charter airline. And an airline that sells a one-way ticket to country X is asking to be sued if they then don't provide transit.
Not quite so. I have had several occasions where a pax was refused boarding fortunately in most cases before their bags made it into a can.

All carriers has terms of carriage, which includes all the proper documentation to be allowed into the destination country, if the pax fails to meet those terms may be refused carriage.
Old May 6th 2013, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

galego is an unknown quantity at this point

Just stumbled on this thread whilst browsing around the web, so apologies for butting in

I'm a dual-national, British and US. I may potentially be offered a job in upstate New York for the summer. I've seen a one way flight to Montreal for about £199. I could fly there and easily get a train to where I need to go (I also for the life of me can't think of a charter airline that sell one way flights to NYC).

However, if I fly into Canada on a one way is there a chance of being sent away? Would it be enough to pre book a train out of Canada, to show I'll only be there a couple of days? Show some kind of letter that proves I have a job in New York state?
Old May 6th 2013, 7:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galego
Just stumbled on this thread whilst browsing around the web, so apologies for butting in

I'm a dual-national, British and US. I may potentially be offered a job in upstate New York for the summer. I've seen a one way flight to Montreal for about £199. I could fly there and easily get a train to where I need to go (I also for the life of me can't think of a charter airline that sell one way flights to NYC).

However, if I fly into Canada on a one way is there a chance of being sent away? Would it be enough to pre book a train out of Canada, to show I'll only be there a couple of days? Show some kind of letter that proves I have a job in New York state?
If you can demonstrate that you will leave Canada (train ticket should do it) immigration are not going to give you grief. When you check in at the airport, it may still be a problem getting on the flight, again your train ticket out of Canada may help. Phone the carrier and ask.
Old May 6th 2013, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

galego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you can demonstrate that you will leave Canada (train ticket should do it) immigration are not going to give you grief. When you check in at the airport, it may still be a problem getting on the flight, again your train ticket out of Canada may help. Phone the carrier and ask.
that'll work, cheers