Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Reply

Old Apr 16th 2018, 4:45 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 325
graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Hi!

This should hopefully be a quick question. I know all the rules regarding visitors bringing in gifts, the values associated, etc. FL and Aviator helped me out last year with this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...eclare-906340/

However, what would happen in this situation. Say I decide to buy something on Amazon UK and have it delivered to a friend or family member in the UK. Then I ask them to bring it with them when they come to visit.

Does that fall into the 'gift' category (i.e. $60 or less to be duty free), or does that fall into a totally separate category since I was the one that paid for it in this scenario? If the latter, can you give me some details please? What values are associated, what would the person bringing it declare, etc.?


Thanks! :-)
graham1710 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 5:12 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 325
graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Sorry - just realized that while rushing, I may have posted this to the incorrect Canada forum. Probably isn't immigration related :-)

Feel free to move, as appropriate, please.

Question still stands though.

Graham
graham1710 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 5:40 pm
  #3  
 
Aviator's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: CYXX
Posts: 12,672
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

If you have it ordered and delivered in the UK and if there is VAT on the item, you pay the VAT. If it is delivered outside the UK, it is sent VAT free (20%) and any taxes and duty are paid on entry to Canada.

Visitors bringing goods in are subject to the same gift limit.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html
Aviator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 5:48 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 325
graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
If you have it ordered and delivered in the UK and if there is VAT on the item, you pay the VAT. If it is delivered outside the UK, it is sent VAT free (20%) and any taxes and duty are paid on entry to Canada.

Visitors bringing goods in are subject to the same gift limit.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html
Thank you!

So yep, if I did order something from Amazon UK, it would be delivered in the UK and therefore have VAT already paid on it.

So if VAT was already paid on it, would they be able to bring it to Canada for me and no taxes/duty would have to be paid, regardless of value? Or would taxtes/duty need to be paid if it were above $60, regardless of whether VAT was already paid on it?

Thanks!
graham1710 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:12 pm
  #5  
 
Aviator's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: CYXX
Posts: 12,672
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Originally Posted by graham1710 View Post
Thank you!

So yep, if I did order something from Amazon UK, it would be delivered in the UK and therefore have VAT already paid on it.

So if VAT was already paid on it, would they be able to bring it to Canada for me and no taxes/duty would have to be paid, regardless of value? Or would taxtes/duty need to be paid if it were above $60, regardless of whether VAT was already paid on it?

Thanks!
The limit is $60 per gift, VAT paid or not. Anything higher value has to be for the use of the visitor, and removed from the country when they leave to be exempt.

VAT has nothing to do with Canada sales tax. With VAT included, if you get dinged for sales tax on entry you would pay more, as the value would be higher on the receipt with the VAT included. You may end up paying tax twice, and tax on the tax. Depending on whether duty is charged or not and which province the item is imported to, one could end up paying 35 to 50% in taxes between VAT, GST/HST and duty.

When I from the UK, buy sales tax exempt and have it shipped to Canada.
Aviator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 7:21 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 325
graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
The limit is $60 per gift, VAT paid or not. Anything higher value has to be for the use of the visitor, and removed from the country when they leave to be exempt.

VAT has nothing to do with Canada sales tax. With VAT included, if you get dinged for sales tax on entry you would pay more, as the value would be higher on the receipt with the VAT included. You may end up paying tax twice, and tax on the tax. Depending on whether duty is charged or not and which province the item is imported to, one could end up paying 35 to 50% in taxes between VAT, GST/HST and duty.

When I from the UK, buy sales tax exempt and have it shipped to Canada.
Thanks for the extra info.


So the one thing I'm unclear on, does it matter whether it's a 'gift' or something purchased by me, when the visitor brings it into the country for me? To me, a gift is when they purchase it and are giving it to me. That would therefore fall into the $60 gift limit.

However, if I actually purchase it and they're simply bringing it to me, what does it count as then? Would it still fall into the $60 gift limit? Or is a different value where it would be duty/tax free? Or am I totally misunderstanding? :-)


As for buying it VAT free in the UK and having it shipped here, is that just an option you usually have to look for on the website itself?

Thanks.
graham1710 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 8:30 pm
  #7  
 
Aviator's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: CYXX
Posts: 12,672
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Originally Posted by graham1710 View Post
Thanks for the extra info.


So the one thing I'm unclear on, does it matter whether it's a 'gift' or something purchased by me, when the visitor brings it into the country for me? To me, a gift is when they purchase it and are giving it to me. That would therefore fall into the $60 gift limit.

However, if I actually purchase it and they're simply bringing it to me, what does it count as then? Would it still fall into the $60 gift limit? Or is a different value where it would be duty/tax free? Or am I totally misunderstanding? :-)


As for buying it VAT free in the UK and having it shipped here, is that just an option you usually have to look for on the website itself?

Thanks.
If you purchase it and a visitor transports it to you, then tax and duty is due on import. Depends what your friends tell customs when they bring it in as to how it is dealt with.

Businesses that ship overseas should be set up for this. Their website shows the net price once an overseas address in used for shipping. If in doubt call and ask.
Aviator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th 2018, 8:43 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 325
graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
If you purchase it and a visitor transports it to you, then tax and duty is due on import. Depends what your friends tell customs when they bring it in as to how it is dealt with.

Businesses that ship overseas should be set up for this. Their website shows the net price once an overseas address in used for shipping. If in doubt call and ask.
Thanks! That clears things up :-)

I'll take a look into business that will ship overseas and see what their options are, too.

Thankfully amazon.ca are now offering some of the things I've previously looked on amazon.co.uk for, so that removes that issue.
graham1710 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th 2018, 2:41 am
  #9  
 
Aviator's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: CYXX
Posts: 12,672
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors Bringing Items to Canada

Originally Posted by graham1710 View Post
Thanks! That clears things up :-)

I'll take a look into business that will ship overseas and see what their options are, too.

Thankfully amazon.ca are now offering some of the things I've previously looked on amazon.co.uk for, so that removes that issue.
We have got things cheaper and quicker from Amazon UK than Amazon Canada.
Aviator is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service