Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visiting USA - covid testing

Visiting USA - covid testing

Old Oct 17th 2021, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting USA - covid testing

We’re currently visiting the US for a few days for wedding celebrations and the one thing I was worried about was our pre-flight testing to return home to Canada.
We booked NAAT-ID tests with Walgreens - online, a few days ago - for this afternoon. Turned up with confirmation of our appointment and proof of identity as requested although they didn’t ask to see either. Did their drive thru test in front of them and drove away within five minutes,
Received our negative results 30 minutes later which we input into the VeriFLY app, as we’re flying with American - accepted and confirmed within about five minutes.

Speedy efficient service and it was free. Excellent! Can now relax and enjoy the last couple of days.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 1:44 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting USA - covid testing

Oh that is interesting. Which exact test did you get there? I'm looking at their website and see:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)

Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR)

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW)

Old Oct 18th 2021, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Oh that is interesting. Which exact test did you get there? I'm looking at their website and see:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)

Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR)

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW)
The ID NOW one
Old Oct 18th 2021, 2:09 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I cannot recall where my girlfriend got her first couple of tests from, I know it was not Walgreens though, and they were free and results came quickly, however just as Canada opened the land border the time to get results jumped up, so she had to pay for a test, fairly sure it was US$125, but the results came back quickly.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 5:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
We’re currently visiting the US for a few days for wedding celebrations and the one thing I was worried about was our pre-flight testing to return home to Canada.
We booked NAAT-ID tests with Walgreens - online, a few days ago - for this afternoon. Turned up with confirmation of our appointment and proof of identity as requested although they didn’t ask to see either. Did their drive thru test in front of them and drove away within five minutes,
Received our negative results 30 minutes later which we input into the VeriFLY app, as we’re flying with American - accepted and confirmed within about five minutes.

Speedy efficient service and it was free. Excellent! Can now relax and enjoy the last couple of days.
Presume you have to also enter the information into ArriveCan? https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html

Old Oct 18th 2021, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Presume you have to also enter the information into ArriveCan? https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html
Yes - I think so but forgot to mention it because frankly I forgot exactly what info I input where - there’s a lot of duplication between the two but I required the VeriFLY reference for the ArriveCAN one.
I like the VeriFLY app because it gives you a green tick to confirm you’ve met the appropriate requirements.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 2:03 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it had to be a PCR test to enter Canada?
Old Oct 18th 2021, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I thought it had to be a PCR test to enter Canada?
If you check the government site, there’s a list of acceptable tests - must be a molecular test and can’t be antigen. NAAT is listed and has been accepted on my application
Old Oct 18th 2021, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just took this off the travel.go.ca siteRapid antigen tests will not be accepted.

Accepted types of molecular tests

These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)

Last edited by Twitcher1958; Oct 18th 2021 at 2:44 pm.