Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visiting the US when on an IEC Visa

Visiting the US when on an IEC Visa

Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

hungrytigers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting the US when on an IEC Visa

Apologies if this has been covered already - the search feature is down so I can't locate related threads.

I'm a British citizen in Canada as a temporary resident on the IEC scheme and currently living in Toronto. I have a lot of friends who live in NYC and for various reasons (festivals, weddings, events) I've visited for a few days each month I've been here.

I've made sure that I am spending more time out of the US than I am in it, I am not seeking to 'abuse' the VWP and my trips are just vacation trips.

I know as a UK citizen I am issued a 3 month period of time to be in the country for max - but as I am coming from a Canadian border when I leave and re-enter the US within those three months the time limit isn't 'reset' and instead the old 3 months is activated. This of course means that I am pretty much always with 3 month entry visas that do not have 3 months between them and I have no clue as to whether this is totally frowned on and if I am going to be stopped from entering the US at some point?

(I hope this all makes sense to someone)

As said I am always out of the country far longer than I am within it - but short of flying all the way out the country and in from a far away border to get the 3 months properly reset so its clear that I am not just stitching 3 month stays back to back to back. Although surely it is listed on their systems that I have left the country.

hmmm.

I do also intend to stay out the US for a period of 3 months in the near future, but damn weddings keep coming up.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting the US when on an IEC Visa

Your post kind of confused me, when you enter America via a land border you will get given a I-94 which allows you to leave and enter as often as you like in the 3 months it is valid. After the 3 months you can just get another one no problem.

I cross the US border every weekend on a UK passport no problem and spent nearly 4 months last summer in the US (Border hopped to get another I-94)

Last edited by MountainHiker; Mar 14th 2014 at 1:38 am.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:01 am
Just Joined

hungrytigers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visiting the US when on an IEC Visa

Sorry, I came in via train last time which is a land border crossing (I have an I-94 piece of paper stapled in)- but when I say 'land border' above I simply mean a country which shares a land border (sometimes I will be flying in). I'd assumed that when I came in from Canada I was issued the same visa for the US as I would have if I was coming from the UK.

My concern is that I've read posts from people coming from the UK to the US who stay for the whole 3 months, go home for like a month and then try to re-enter for another 3 months and get stopped as you aren't meant to be issued these sorts of entries back to back. I'm obviously not doing this - but - my visa entries are stacked as if I have been. My concern isn't so much for going in and out in those 3 months - but more that if that 3 month period ends and then I re-enter before say 3 months has passed that I will be denied entry despite being out the country longer than I had been in it.

I've been trying to google help for this stuff and the internet is a bit of a mess to navigate to find the right answers - I know this query is a bit convoluted but I'm hoping someone understands what my concern is here as I don't know a lot about US/ Canadian/ UK entry details.

- although from what you've said above it sounds like I should be okay, although from what I've read border hopping to extend after a 3 months visit is a somewhat risky move -

Last edited by hungrytigers; Mar 14th 2014 at 2:10 am.