visa query

Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

mattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the rough
Default visa query

I know two bricklayers that went to Alberta last year on a recce trip and ended up working for cash for four months. They came home at christmas.
One of them flew back in the new year on a six month return ticket. When he landed he was quizzed and couldt prove he had funds to support himself. So they done a bit of digging and found out he was working for cash over there and sent him back on the next flght.
So now they want to apply for visa's and go legit hence i have two questions for anyone who cares to throw in ther tuppence.
1- Does the guy who got sent back have any chance of getting a visa now.
2- How long is it likely to take, if they started the ball rolling today to when they can go.
Thanks for reading
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa query

Hi Matt,

I don't know if working illegally will affect things for your friend now (although suspect it will) but the whole Temporary Work Permit process usually takes around 6 months - but that's including finding a job and waiting for the LMO. The TWP itself can be applied for at the airport so that's pretty much instant, but it's the rest of the process that takes that time.

If they manage to find jobs quickly (you can't get a work visa without a job offer) then it may happen quicker than that.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:21 am
Just Joined

mattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the roughmattyr40 is a jewel in the rough

Well the firm they worked for for cash wants them back legit but i cant see how you could get a visa after being thrown out
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattyr40
Well the firm they worked for for cash wants them back legit but i cant see how you could get a visa after being thrown out
Then I guess all they can do is try. They'll need the company to have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Then the company can apply for the LMO and I guess just wait and see whether them working illegally previously will affect the application.

Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:58 am
Just Joined

I thought if it was one of the jobs in demand you can offer it to anyone. If you had to wait six months to employ a tradesman youd go bust
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Given their circumstances/background though I wouldn't have thought it'd be advisable to risk applying for TWP at POE?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Well i think they started the process yesterday and im interested because i may be going over this year as a brickie.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mattyr40
I thought if it was one of the jobs in demand you can offer it to anyone. If you had to wait six months to employ a tradesman youd go bust
No, you still have to go through the LMO/TWP process etc. There are very few occupations that are LMO exempt and they are IT based jobs. There are plenty of skilled tradesman on here who have managed it, if there is a shortage of people to do a job then employers are prepared to wait.

I agree with Adele though, if I were them I wouldn't risk applying for TWP at POE just in case it's refused because of their history, I'd apply via London.