visa or job

Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

luxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa or job

hi
my family and I are coming over for a fact finding holiday in june, we are staying in Barrie and looking at all the neighbouring areas. could anyone tell us any areas to visit.
We were advised to find work then apply for a working visa, then we can apply for a permenant recidence.
we could find ourselves living there within a year.
has anyone got any advice????
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:33 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa or job

Hello, luxel, and welcome to the BE forum.

I suggest you read Beginner's Guide to Canadian Immigration.

In many cases, it's more difficult to get a work permit if you're heading to Ontario. The reasons will become apparent when you read the above-mentioned article.
x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luxel
hi
my family and I are coming over for a fact finding holiday in june, we are staying in Barrie and looking at all the neighbouring areas. could anyone tell us any areas to visit.
We were advised to find work then apply for a working visa, then we can apply for a permenant recidence.
Hi welcome to BE

If you apply for a Skilled Workers visa and perm residence you could be waiting in excess of about 5 years so the temp work permit is the quickest route for you to take at the mo.

We have a search facility on the forum so I would search for LMO and TWP and poss AEO this should give you all the info and answer questions for you.

Some of us on the site have set up an info system on here called the WIKI and you should be able to find information on there as to immigration .

HTH

Gaynor
x

PS Judy beat me again hi hun hope ur ok x
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

hi
The best advice anyone can give you is as the others have mentioned, have a good look through the Wiki as that will help you understand the process and answer any questions.

Getting a temporary work permit is not easy unless you have very specific skills or work in a job with not enough people to fill vacancies. To hire a foreign worker, a Canadian employer has to advertise the job extensively and then prove to government that they have been unable to find any Canadian willing or able to do the job, which is the stumbling block most people come up against. Hence why temporary work permits only really apply if you have something special to offer an employer, to compensate for the time and money they have to spend in hiring you. Most people end up having to wait the 5 years + for skilled worker permanent residency as getting a job without a visa is so tricky, but there are other ways to get to Canada quicker - check out the Wiki for details.

What do you do?? That might give us an idea of whether you would qualify for the above and how advice can be best directed. You may well be better off thinking about a different area of Canada - for example, your occupation could well be in demand in a different province so you would be able to get in much easier there. Don't decide on where you're going to live just yet until you've explored all the options and know where you stand the best chance of getting a job. Ontario may well not be the best option for you.

Welcome and good luck.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hello, luxel, and welcome to the BE forum.

I suggest you read Beginner's Guide to Canadian Immigration.

In many cases, it's more difficult to get a work permit if you're heading to Ontario. The reasons will become apparent when you read the above-mentioned article.
x
thanks for your help but i couldnt find the info on the dificulties of getting into ontario, could you direct me to the area of info i need to read
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:34 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your help but i couldnt find the info on the dificulties of getting into ontario, could you direct me to the area of info i need to read
Under the heading of Not just any job, the "Beginner's" Wiki article states:

• It has been stated that, for many people, getting into Canada within a realistic time frame involves finding a job first.

• Yes, in most cases, it does involve finding a job first.

• But keep in mind that the job that you find can't be just any old job.

• To be useful from an immigration point of view, you have to find a job that no qualified Canadian resident wants to do.

• If you want to enter Canada on a temporary work permit, for example, the employer has to obtain a Labour Market Opinion (LMO).

• An LMO will be forthcoming only if the employer can demonstrate that he/she has recruited across Canada and has been unable to attract a qualified Canadian resident to the position.

• In most cases this means that you need to seek work in a part of Canada that is experiencing labour shortages.

• To understand more about this, it would help if you read the Wiki article called Labour Shortages.

• It would be a good idea to read the
  • [*]

Now, if you click on the Labour Shortages article, you'll see that it covers four categories:

• Provincial Nominee Programs
  • Occupations Under Pressure
  • Expedited Labour Market Opinion Pilot Project
  • Information Technology Workers

Let's work from the bottom of the list upwards.

You're not an information technology worker, so that point does not apply to you.

You can check the Expedited Labour Market Opinion Pilot Project link if you like, but I can tell you from memory that it does not include interior designers.

If you check the Occupations Under Pressure lists, you will find that interior designers appear on only one of the OUP lists, namely, the one for British Columbia.

If you look at Ontario's OUP list, you'll find that it is very short and covers only a handful of occupations.

The OUP lists give you a fairly good indication of how feasible it would be for a prospective employer to get the Labour Market Opinion that would enable you to apply for a temporary work permit. Remember, under normal circumstances, an employer has to advertise a job across Canada for 3 months. If a qualified Canadian resident applies for the job, the employer has to give the job to that applicant. The employer has to give an accounting of how many Canadian residents applied for the job and why they were not suitable before he/she can offer the job to a foreigner.

In the case of Occupations Under Pressure, the government has recognized that people in certain occupations are in short supply in specific regions of the country. When an occupation is recognized as being "under pressure," the length of time that the employer is obliged to advertise the job across Canada is reduced considerably.

You can use the OUP lists as a sort of litmus test. The OUP lists tell you if and where there are labour shortages.

Now we come to the remaining item in the Wiki article on Labour Shortages that we have not yet addressed -- the Provincial Nominee Programs. Open the link to that article, and then click on the link to the Ontario Provincial Nominee Program. Once you're there, click on the link called Eligible Occupations. Interior designers are not on the list.

Most immigrants who are heading to Canada seem to have heard of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, and that's about it. Toronto has a steady influx of immigrants, so it does not have as great a shortage of workers as some other parts of the country.

You might call Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal "the box" and the rest of the country "outside the box." If you want to get into Canada quickly, you often have to go "outside the box." Now it just happens that there is a shortage of people in your particular occupation in one of the place that's "inside the box."

Postscript. Since the "Beginner's" article obviously was not clear enough to demonstrate to a newcomer to the forum just how the article on Labour Shortages could show a person which province (or provinces) might be a suitable destination for him/her (if he/she wanted to fast-track his/her entry to Canada), I've added to the Labour Shortages article an explanation similar to the one that I've provided to you here. I will add to the Beginner's article a brief note to the effect that the Labour Shortages article contains such an explanation.

x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Feb 26th 2008 at 7:22 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Under the heading of Not just any job, the "Beginner's" Wiki article states:

• It has been stated that, for many people, getting into Canada within a realistic time frame involves finding a job first.

• Yes, in most cases, it does involve finding a job first.

• But keep in mind that the job that you find can't be just any old job.

• To be useful from an immigration point of view, you have to find a job that no qualified Canadian resident wants to do.

• If you want to enter Canada on a temporary work permit, for example, the employer has to obtain a Labour Market Opinion (LMO).

• An LMO will be forthcoming only if the employer can demonstrate that he/she has recruited across Canada and has been unable to attract a qualified Canadian resident to the position.

• In most cases this means that you need to seek work in a part of Canada that is experiencing labour shortages.

• To understand more about this, it would help if you read the Wiki article called Labour Shortages.

• It would be a good idea to read the
  • [*]

Now, if you click on the Labour Shortages article, you'll see that it covers four categories:

• Provincial Nominee Programs
  • Occupations Under Pressure
  • Expedited Labour Market Opinion Pilot Project
  • Information Technology Workers

Let's work from the bottom of the list upwards.

You're not an information technology worker, so that point does not apply to you.

You can check the Expedited Labour Market Opinion Pilot Project link if you like, but I can tell you from memory that it does not include interior designers.

If you check the Occupations Under Pressure lists, you will find that interior designers appear on only one of the OUP lists, namely, the one for British Columbia.

If you look at Ontario's OUP list, you'll find that it is very short and covers only a handful of occupations.

The OUP lists give you a fairly good indication of how feasible it would be for a prospective employer to get the Labour Market Opinion that would enable you to apply for a temporary work permit. Remember, under normal circumstances, an employer has to advertise a job across Canada for 3 months. If a qualified Canadian resident applies for the job, the employer has to give the job to that applicant. The employer has to give an accounting of how many Canadian residents applied for the job and why they were not suitable before he/she can offer the job to a foreigner.

In the case of Occupations Under Pressure, the government has recognized that people in certain occupations are in short supply in specific regions of the country. When an occupation is recognized as being "under pressure," the length of time that the employer is obliged to advertise the job across Canada is reduced considerably.

You can use the OUP lists as a sort of litmus test. The OUP lists tell you if and where there are labour shortages.

Now we come to the remaining item in the Wiki article on Labour Shortages that we have not yet addressed -- the Provincial Nominee Programs. Open the link to that article, and then click on the link to the Ontario Provincial Nominee Program. Once you're there, click on the link called Eligible Occupations. Interior designers are not on the list.

Most immigrants who are heading to Canada seem to have heard of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, and that's about it. Toronto has a steady influx of immigrants, so it does not have as great a shortage of workers as some other parts of the country.

You might call Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal "the box" and the rest of the country "outside the box." If you want to get into Canada quickly, you often have to go "outside the box." Now it just happens that there is a shortage of people in your particular occupation in one of the place that's "inside the box."

Postscript. Since the "Beginner's" article obviously was not clear enough to demonstrate to a newcomer to the forum just how the article on Labour Shortages could show a person which province (or provinces) might be a suitable destination for him/her (if he/she wanted to fast-track his/her entry to Canada), I've added to the Labour Shortages article an explanation similar to the one that I've provided to you here. I will add to the Beginner's article a brief note to the effect that the Labour Shortages article contains such an explanation.

x
Thanks for taking the time out to explain it all to us Judy,
cheers, Gary