Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

View from our bedroom tonight .....

View from our bedroom tonight .....

Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:23 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: View from our bedroom tonight .....

I think we've more or less established that lightning (forked or sheet) is lightning ..... and then there may or may not be ball lightning, which may or may not be something else!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:38 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by grumpy
You'd classify it incorrectly then - it's fork lightning.......

Fantastic pic by the way.....
There are others wrongly (?) classified on the Internet too:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...P-tab-web-t400

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 11th 2006 at 2:53 am.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:46 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We used to have a bit of a debate about whether it was different types of lightning if it appeared to go more or less vertically straight to earth or horizontally across the sky, sort of from cloud to cloud. Do you think that is part of the issue??
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:52 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Morwenna
We used to have a bit of a debate about whether it was different types of lightning if it appeared to go more or less vertically straight to earth or horizontally across the sky, sort of from cloud to cloud. Do you think that is part of the issue??
Perhaps, if the lightning is more horizontal, it may have more opportunity to illuminate the cloud cover above and really light up the sky.

More interesting is just what causes lightning in the first place. Once that is fully understood, then answering your question becomes easier.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:09 am
little snowy owl

I was reading yesterday.... and had heard before, that the lightning bolt is actually fairly thin and comes shooting down to earth, then rebounds upwards in a thicker slower stream, and it is that which we actually see.

That big bolt which we didn't manage to catch last night definitely was spreading upwards through the sky and branching as it went. It was well wow!!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 3:21 am
little snowy owl

OK I found this great site, which explains it well .... it's pages long but really interesting!

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lightning2.htm

enjoy!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 4:07 am
Just Joined

tobyjug is an unknown quantity at this point

wish i could see the lightning, but its hard to see from behind the sofa :scared:
Old Aug 11th 2006, 4:11 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by tobyjug
wish i could see the lightning, but its hard to see from behind the sofa :scared:
Y'know, I'm OK if I'm at home, and especially if I am not on my lonesome...

The worst I find is when I'm driving on my own ...... the other day after we'd had all that good news I had to drive and pick up youngest from Calaway, a few miles west of Calgary, and I prayed all the way, cos there was lightning striking all around, and I was sure the day had been going too well!! :scared:
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

The worst I find is when I'm driving on my own ...... the other day after we'd had all that good news I had to drive and pick up youngest from Calaway, a few miles west of Calgary, and I prayed all the way, cos there was lightning striking all around, and I was sure the day had been going too well!! :scared:
You're safe in a car though - Faraday cage. Did you ever see Adam double-barrelled tax-advert man do that cage experiment thing? Well cool
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:06 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
You're safe in a car though - Faraday cage.
I have heard this ....... just wouldn't want to test it out personally, plus lighning flashes making me jump while driving = not good!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

summer storm .... the REALLY BIG ONE got away!
Morwenna - that is a bloody brilliant photo, no matter what 'type' of lightening it is! Forked, sheet, ballsed, or phucked! It's still brill!
Old Aug 12th 2006, 4:52 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Calgal
Morwenna - that is a bloody brilliant photo, no matter what 'type' of lightening it is! Forked, sheet, ballsed, or phucked! It's still brill!
Thanks! It is rather lovely isn't it .... clever hubby and a little bit of pure luck!