Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

View from our bedroom tonight .....

View from our bedroom tonight .....

Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:53 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default View from our bedroom tonight .....

summer storm .... the REALLY BIG ONE got away!
Attached Thumbnails View from our bedroom tonight .....-lightning-2s.jpg  
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:03 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: View from our bedroom tonight .....

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Wow... fantastic pic Morwenna!

( If this was in the Maple Leaf, I'd be saying something else. )
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:05 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant photo Morwenna
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:09 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Wow... fantastic pic Morwenna!

( If this was in the Maple Leaf, I'd be saying something else. )
Thanks! I was wondering if it should go in the Maple Leaf, but decided it was relevant to "lifestyle" - better than the telly anyway! I'm tempted to post it there as well now, just to see your response!

I thought the house had been struck this afternoon, a collossal explosion of sound and light which shot the three of us out of our seats, and set the dog barking! :scared:

ps I can't take credit for the pic, except that it was my idea to try and capture it .... hubby did it!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:30 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Very nice photo. I would classify that as "sheet lightning".
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:57 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Very nice photo. I would classify that as "sheet lightning".
Thanks .... mmm though I believe "sheet lightning" is really just light from distant "forked" lightning reflected off clouds.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant picture!

I love thunderstorms, having said that I have never experienced a canadian one.
Not sure what my daughter will think though

Thanks.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Fantastic pics mo - remind me of growing up in Manitoba!

Well done.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice photo

How do you get the pic, have tried it myself a couple of times but they have never turned out. What type of camera did you use?

Mark
Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:59 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Wow! Great piccie Morwenna!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 1:11 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Cool picture, i love a good storm ( natures fireworks !)
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:16 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Nice photo

How do you get the pic, have tried it myself a couple of times but they have never turned out. What type of camera did you use?

Mark
We have a Fujifilm FinePix S305 digital camera. It's about 3-4 yrs old.
It has a night photography setting with a long exposure .... about 3 secs I think. So we set it up on a tripod and just kept clicking cos obviously you have to click before the lightning or there's no time for you (or the camera!) to react. Then you wait to get lucky. We have about two dozen shots of empty night sky and one of a lightning bolt!

The funniest thing was Alan just turned to me to say "well I think it's moving away now...." when THE most enormous great crackling light went weaving and branching across almost the whole SE sky! It was stupifying ..... but it just cracked us up cos of what he'd just finished saying.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks .... mmm though I believe "sheet lightning" is really just light from distant "forked" lightning reflected off clouds.

Absolutely correct it can also be seen in nearby storms but it is exactly as you described it is forked lightning that not seen but is reflected of the clouds.

sheet lightning n. Lightning that appears as a broad sheetlike illumination of parts of a thundercloud, caused by the reflection of a lightning flash.

Fanatastic shot are you considering a print perhaps.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:41 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Hangman

Fanatastic shot are you considering a print perhaps.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks (I'll pass that to the photographer!)

LOL, Aye, that one could be worth printing off .....
Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:50 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Indeed, the clouds are strongly illuminated in your photo - that's what I was referring to. Contrast you photo with this one (where the clouds aren't illuminated):

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 10th 2006 at 3:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.