Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Video converter

Video converter

Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Video converter

Hi guys! Hope someone can help - I've bought a video converter for my PAL VCR and the lead won't connect into the back of the VCR as the socket thingy (really technical me!!) is a different size.

Any ideas from the techies out there?

TrishB
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:52 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future
Default Re: Video converter

Hi,

Possibly need a bit more info. What are you trying to convert? The lead goes from what to what?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mctree
Hi,

Possibly need a bit more info. What are you trying to convert? The lead goes from what to what?
Video converter has the multiple connectors to plug into the TV at one end and that's OK as they fit. It's the other end that plugs into the VCR that doesn't fit - it's the same shape, but the lead has a larger connector than the socket on the VCR will take. Any idea where I could get some sort of jack for it?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
Video converter has the multiple connectors to plug into the TV at one end and that's OK as they fit. It's the other end that plugs into the VCR that doesn't fit - it's the same shape, but the lead has a larger connector than the socket on the VCR will take. Any idea where I could get some sort of jack for it?
There's a shop in Toronto called House of 220 where they keep everything related to importing appliances. Perhaps, if you called them and explained, they could ship you the piece in question. They're at 1444 Gerrard Street East - (416) 461-2602.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the cost of buying and shipping the connector, you could always go to Walmart and buy one of their $29 DVD players. Diamond something or other mine is called. It will play any kind of DVD.

They are so cheap, instead of moving the player from room to room, I have one for every TV.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Chester Copperpot is on a distinguished road

Is the convertor something like this:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Home.aspx?C=GKW&U=maplins&T=E

Are those phono/rca sockets on the front like the ones you are on about?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Depending on the cost of buying and shipping the connector, you could always go to Walmart and buy one of their $29 DVD players. Diamond something or other mine is called. It will play any kind of DVD.

They are so cheap, instead of moving the player from room to room, I have one for every TV.
We aready have a DVD player for our Candian DVDs. I just want to get my VR working now so I can watch my videos from the UK, a collection we've built up over quite a few years that would cost a lot more to convert to DVD.
Ho hum, and here's me thinking that I'd cracked the problem by ordering the converter!!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot
Is the convertor something like this:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Home.aspx?C=GKW&U=maplins&T=E

Are those phono/rca sockets on the front like the ones you are on about?
Thanks CC

I had a look at the Maplin site and that seems to be what we're after! I'll try the Source and see if they have anything in stock beofre I go down the mail order route as that'll take forever!!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you are saying about getting your present machine working. I was just commenting that those el-cheapo machines from Walmart will play PAL and NTSC - and probably every other region in the world too, whatever they are called. All for $29.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know what you are saying about getting your present machine working. I was just commenting that those el-cheapo machines from Walmart will play PAL and NTSC - and probably every other region in the world too, whatever they are called. All for $29.
Got one already! We deliberately held off buying a DVD in UK so we could get the Walmart special when we got here!!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Hi Liz,
Could you please confirm the make and model number of that $29 DVD player (although I doubt there are too many of those about!) that you bought? I think a trip to Wal Mart is in order and I want to make sure I buy the right DVD player for my UK discs.
Thanks!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonthelad
Hi Liz,
Could you please confirm the make and model number of that $29 DVD player (although I doubt there are too many of those about!) that you bought? I think a trip to Wal Mart is in order and I want to make sure I buy the right DVD player for my UK discs.
Thanks!
If memory serves me right, it's a Diamond model, not sure of the model number, but it's quite a small machine for a DVD player. It plays UK DVDs OK.

TrishB
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TrishB
If memory serves me right, it's a Diamond model, not sure of the model number, but it's quite a small machine for a DVD player. It plays UK DVDs OK.

TrishB
Thanks for the info!
Jon.