Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Victoria, nice place

Victoria, nice place

Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of
Default Victoria, nice place

Well, we've been here a week and a half and so far love it

Homeless bums are a bit of problem near the apartment but we should be moving into our new suite out of town in the next couple of days.

At the moment, we *think* we've made the right move
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria, nice place

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki

Homeless bums are a bit of problem near the apartment but we should be moving into our new suite out of town in the next couple of days.

I was there on a business trip a few months back. I loved it.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:50 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I was there on a business trip a few months back. I loved it.
Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:53 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.
Ya, too many ye olde worlde tea shoppes and antique stores. Brits too. Everywhere like a plague. Lots of old people too.

R.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,

After you've lived in Montreal for about 46 years it is hard to imagine living anywhere else. I spent a year in Ottawa (well paying contract work) and disliked it intensely. But that's me. There is no accounting for tastes.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Lots of old people too.
Way too many of these and I'm becoming one of 'em.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Doesn't seem to be too many antique shops and olde worlde tea shops, don't think I've seen a single olde worlde tea shoppe and the only antiques have been on Antique Row (and driving old Chryslers or coming on the Clipper from Seattle ).
Seems to be a ton of vibrant bar/pub/restaurants and a good mix of people though.
Just need to sort out some work.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Steve,

After you've lived in Montreal for about 46 years it is hard to imagine living anywhere else. I spent a year in Ottawa (well paying contract work) and disliked it intensely. But that's me. There is no accounting for tastes.
Mike I sort of feel the same way about Alberta in general I've lived here for 45 years the last 34 in Calgary and I really have no desire to leave.

I spent 4.5 months in Ottawa in 1972 training for ATC and hated it, however it was September to through to the middle of January, not the best time to see Ottawa also it was a really lousy winter that year.

I really like "the island" and love to visit but I'm always happy to get home.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

ryancoffey is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, Victoria's pretty nice, and there's lots of Brits there. The only downside is the seedy people downtown. I planned to settle there for many years but didn't want to raise my kids with access to that stuff downtown. Outside of that, it's really a very nice town. I enjoy visiting people there.

Lots of good food for a North American "city"too.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Having been to a vast amount of cities across the world, I certainly wouldn't rank Victoria's "seedy" people as anywhere approaching other places
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

westchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura aboutwestchilt has a spectacular aura about

We moved here from Edmonton where we had lived for 18 years after leaving the UK. We live just north of Victoria and love it. So many people talk about old people and teashops and it really is not like that at all. There is so much to do here it is amazing, and you don't have to worry about clearing snow for 7 months of the year! Yes there are homeless people downtown but it is no different to any other inner city.
There are loads of great restaurants, pubs etc and forests, trails, beaches, coves I could go on and on.

As for the old people, they are the most active sharp minded seniors I have come across since moving to Canada, and I hope I will be like them when I get to their age

PaulandNikki hope you settle in well and I am sure you will love it.. good luck
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Enjoy victoria and hope the settling in is a smooth transition for you! Get ready to stormwatch during the fall/winter months, its fabulous...
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi. glad you are liking the island

where abouts are you staying?? husband and son are working on the homeless place downtown at the moment. They said its like watching the Thriller video everyday
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Vancouver Island and pleased to hear you are enjoying it!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

where abouts are you staying?
At the moment we are down on Swift St, right in the middle of it, we call the walk from the top of the road to the apartment block the bumrun
Moving to our new place at the end of the week, that's in the Lake Hill area just north of Swan Lake.
If any Victorianites fancy a coffee/beer etc then let us know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.