Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

the VERY best thing

the VERY best thing

Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

annie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud of
Default the VERY best thing

If you had to choose only one thing.What is the very best thing in your experience about relocating to Canada..and the worst ,if you like..
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

annie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud of
Default Re: the VERY best thing

Originally Posted by annie3-4
If you had to choose only one thing.What is the very best thing in your experience about relocating to Canada..and the worst ,if you like..
PS NOT vanilla flavour coffee...
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:34 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Meeting my wife.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For me the very best thing has been access to the US; it's where the money comes from. Being in Canada as been better than being in the US as Canada has OHIP.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:40 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

What is the very best thing in your experience about relocating to Canada
Being far away from my family of origin.

and the worst

Paradoxical, but true.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Best = Getting away from Britain

Worst = The stress leading up to the move
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:30 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Best = spending more quality time with the gorgeous man in my life and our 2 fab kiddies and getting out and about exploring all the new things this country has to offer. A new lease of life.

Worst = well, predictably, it has to be leaving family and friends behind, although they all keep telling us we are not missing anything 'back home' and that nothing changes.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

As the wife thing is taken already, I would say being able to raise my family in a nice place in the country in a relatively safe and stress free environment, without being mortgaged to the gills.

The worst...undoubtedly separation from family, missing seeing my brothers and friends children, my parents missing out on their grandchild(ren)
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Best thing: the lifestyle

Worst thing: Health care or lack of. I have been trying for 5 months to get us registered with a family doctor but none are taking on new patients. I finally found one (that was about 10 days ago and went straight down and filled in the forms) it will be another 2 weeks before we know if the doctor will accept us on her list or not. If not, the hunt goes on. Annoying because we are paying for the privilege of not having a family doctor. I have just had to order a repeat prescription for my asthma medication from the UK. Fortunately, as we are at the moment, we have homes in both countries, otherwise I'd be stuffed.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
Best thing: the lifestyle

Worst thing: Health care or lack of. I have been trying for 5 months to get us registered with a family doctor but none are taking on new patients. I finally found one (that was about 10 days ago and went straight down and filled in the forms) it will be another 2 weeks before we know if the doctor will accept us on her list or not. If not, the hunt goes on. Annoying because we are paying for the privilege of not having a family doctor. I have just had to order a repeat prescription for my asthma medication from the UK. Fortunately, as we are at the moment, we have homes in both countries, otherwise I'd be stuffed.
Where are you, Colsgirl ? Are there no walk-in clinics there ?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi, we are in Kelowna, BC. I was given the address of a walk-in clinic and not wanting to put it to bluntly I did not feel that my 3yo and 5yo should have to sit in a waiting room with people who looked like junkies. I know they will come across people like that in later life, but it really did not feel safe.

Besides, I want a doctor who has my medical records and someone I can keep going to. Not somewhere where I see a different Doctor or go to a different clinic every time.

I wouldn't have thought that wanting a family doctor would be too much to ask. But doctors around here are like gold dust. So the hunt goes on. Not being able to get a doctor, feels like 3rd world health care. Makes me realise that I will never criticise the NHS again.

One receptionist actually told me to hang on until I haven't got any medication left. When I run out and I'm having problems, go to the hospital. :scared:

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where are you, Colsgirl ? Are there no walk-in clinics there ?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:22 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, we are in Kelowna, BC. I was given the address of a walk-in clinic and not wanting to put it to bluntly I did not feel that my 3yo and 5yo should have to sit in a waiting room with people who looked like junkies. I know they will come across people like that in later life, but it really did not feel safe.

Besides, I want a doctor who has my medical records and someone I can keep going to. Not somewhere where I see a different Doctor or go to a different clinic every time.

I wouldn't have thought that wanting a family doctor would be too much to ask. But doctors around here are like gold dust. So the hunt goes on. Not being able to get a doctor, feels like 3rd world health care. Makes me realise that I will never criticise the NHS again.

One receptionist actually told me to hang on until I haven't got any medication left. When I run out and I'm having problems, go to the hospital. :scared:
Its awful to hear your situation, and am frankly shocked that no doctors will accept you into their practice, especially as you have two such little children. Is this situation unique to Kelowna or are other people finding the same problems where they live? Fortunately, we have had no such difficulties where we are, and we were accepted by the first practice we went to. Having said that, the lady doctor I saw was a bit of a dragon,.....that may be why. Still, I'm sure you'd rather see a dragon when your wee ones are ill, than no-one at all !
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi R2D2

I am not sure if the problem is just Kelowna or if it is in other areas too. I am not impressed to say the least.

I'm not really bothered about the personality of the doctor, or the sex for that matter. All I ask is that they are qualified and can treat us when we are ill.

Louise

Originally Posted by R2D2
Its awful to hear your situation, and am frankly shocked that no doctors will accept you into their practice, especially as you have two such little children. Is this situation unique to Kelowna or are other people finding the same problems where they live? Fortunately, we have had no such difficulties where we are, and we were accepted by the first practice we went to. Having said that, the lady doctor I saw was a bit of a dragon,.....that may be why. Still, I'm sure you'd rather see a dragon when your wee ones are ill, than no-one at all !
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

Here finding such a doctor takes a year or so on the waiting list but there are lots of walk in clinics and few of them are frightening in the day. The alternative is to drive to the US where you can have any sort of treatment on demand in a very nice facility and they'll keep your records in a database. Horses for courses really, each time we moved we went to clinics until our name came up, some colleagues chose to pay instead. We're always been pleased with the service and we're not dead.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Paradoxical, but true.

OMG I swear I was just about to write the same thing!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.