Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vernon BC - nursing jobs/elementary schools

Vernon BC - nursing jobs/elementary schools

Old May 24th 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

soetpeel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vernon BC - nursing jobs/elementary schools

Is there anyone with any knowledge of nursing employment opportunities in the vernon region? ( I'm currently working in community nursing/wound care) All the jobs I've seen have been casual. Any tips ?

Also we plan to be in Canada to start the new school year if at all posssible and any advice regarding housing areas/ good junior schools/ realtors would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 25th 2010, 4:33 pm
Londonurse

marina is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vernon BC - nursing jobs/elementary schools

Hi there, I work in Vernon Community Care, IHA, and yes, you are right there are only casual jobs advertised at present. It is a very different working environmnet as you will find out once you are here. It all revolves around Union and seniority. In this economic situation with newly restructured community care in Vernon it is harder to secure a permanent job full or part-time. We came here 2,5 years ago and once I completed my registration nearly a year later plus working with community for a year plus I still do not have a permanent job with them. Luckily, my husband has had a full time job with IHA before we came here. I am hoping it will get better as they are building a brand new building for the hospital.
As for the elementary schools there are a few in town and here is the link to the school district:
http://www.sd22.bc.ca/schools.html
My kids who are 6 and 9 go to Coldstream Elementary. Kids love being here, enjoy the sports and the rest.
How did you pick Vernon? Hope that helps and let me know if you need any more help with info.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Vernon BC - nursing jobs/elementary schools

Thanks for your reply - Interesting to hear how you are finding things - I think Canada cut back on their spending much sooner than the UK from what I've read in the forums. We have posts where staff retired last year that have not been filled and are told that we are not allowed to use bank or fill in with overtime. Difficult at times especially as work load is unpredictable e.g palliative care patients

I don't really understand how the unions work - do you have something similar to the RCN. How do they affect your work? Since you've been working in Vernon have any of your colleagues got permanent jobs or are there just none going?

We were thinking of Vernon as a possibility having been to Canada a few times. We're looking for a place that isn't too big but has resources that can be accessed not too far away (kelowna ). Also sunnier weather than where we are at present (North Yorkshire) We get about 1400 in our region, you get about 2200 hours a year.

My son is 8 - rather ambivilent about the move. How do you find the schooling?

I've already passed the CRNE in October 09 and am waiting to hear from Canada re our sponsership so are hoping to be there to start the new school year. This may be overly optimistic but we'll see!!
Old May 28th 2010, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we also moved to Vernon - well, Coldstream last year. My youngest was 9 and loves his new school- has lots of friends- finds the work quite easy I think. Most of the Elementary schools in Vernon seem good-the 2 in Coldstream seem to be thought of as "better", but I guess that will be debatable. Honestly at 8 , your child will be fine! The problem will come later in that the secondary in Coldstream really does seem to be very good.
Housing wise I am very biased, I love Coldstream, but BX is also nice and only 15mins from Silver Star. There are also some nice areas out towards the Okanagan Lake.
You've chosen Vernon well- we also thought it had a bit of everything. Great weather, summer and winter ( well not yet this summer!!). Great skiing, snowboarding at Silverstar. Close to Kelowna airport- what a great little airport that is! Ok shops in Vernon, but close to Kelowna for more.
Amazing lakes for the summer months. Beautiful parks- Kalamalka Park is stunning.
I'm a GP not a nurse, but I know from talking to Canadian nurses that getting posts can be very difficult- I think that may be your biggest problem! But good luck!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

glenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the rough

I know a few Brits that work at the hospital... PM me if you want me to pass their info on..
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the time taken for replies and kind offer Glenn and apologies for not responding for some time.

Things are steadily moving along - London now has my husbands passport and so it shouldn't be too long before he has his PR.

I don't think you ever know what its like in an area until you've lived there but good to hear your views Snoopdawg. My OH said our GP looked really wistful when he said we were going to Canada - I'll certainly miss our excellent GP & wish we could import him too. Apparently GP's are demand.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

Hi Glenn Wilson mentioned you to me. I work at Vernon Jubilee Hospital in Theatres (OR).I moved March 09 straight to here with my husband and 2 teenagers. The kids did not want to come!! didn't want to leave their friends. They now love is here. Vernon is small but very friendly with loads to do and Kelown is only 40 mins away if you need a larger place or better clothes shopping!!

The hospital is very friendly and you never know what other casual work might be available there in the meantime.

I don't know if you have moved here by now, but if you need any help with anything just PM me.