Vernon Bc

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

glenlivet is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Vernon Bc

Hi,

This is a general trawl for information/opinions on Vernon and surrounding area. Planning to move across there later this year with my wife and 2 young kids.

In particular ,any information on good areas of Vernon or smaller outlying communities to settle in and school info would be appreciated. Or just any words of encouragement please, as things are starting to get scary now.

Have already accessed the more obvious Vernon and OK websites so links to any others that people have stumbled across would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Roy
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:19 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Vernon Bc

I've spent a lot of time in Vernon. It is a nice place and used to be fairly quiet but it has grown beyond recognition now. The road system is not really up to the amount of traffic and the town can get quite clogged at peak travelling times.

To the east of Vernon is an area called Coldstream - this is where a lot of executives chose to live, although up in BX is becoming pretty popular because of Silver Star Ski Resort.

Lavington, a bit further on from Coldstream and Aberdeen plays home to Tolko, a large company who have an incinerator. It would be worth your while to investigate Tolko - as they were planning to enlarge in size. There are major concerns about health problems due to the pollution levels. It is a shame as Lavington is such a lovely little place.

Further to the east is a place called Lumby - do not be tempted to move there, even though the prices are greatly cheaper, LOL!!

To the west of Vernon, is a large IR so not so many people tend to live there. South West is where the newish golf course Predator Ridge is and there are properties available for purchase on the golf course.

To the north of Vernon is Armstrong; a real cute old western-type town in pretty countryside, however it is surrounded by tonnes of smelly chicken farms.

The shopping in Vernon is pretty good and you will be able to get almost everything there. Kelowna is not such a far drive away for larger stores. The schools are nice and the people are very friendly. Good luck.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:45 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Glen,

To help answer and give more specific answers perhaps you could fill in the gaps in your question

You

Hobbies - really like to carry-on
interests - would like but not essential
Work - Got - looking
Social requirements - Get involved in community\group or sideline.

Your Partener
Hobbies
interests
Work
Social Requirements

Your kid 1

Hobbies
interests
Work
Social Requirements
School requirements - Advance - normal - help

Your Kid 2

Hobbies
interests
Work
Social Requirements
School requirements - Advance - normal - help

-----------------------

example
Kid 1
Age 12
Sex girl
Hobbies - deep sea fishing, scuba diving
interests - music, highland Dance
Hates - Walking in Hills
Work - Doesn't need a paper or grass cutting etc kid jobs
Social Requirements - Individualist, hates team sports
School requirements - Advance

People could then direct you to things that you need
Lake fishing & diving requirements, the local dance & music schools

Be alright if home is more remote near a lake than a mountain top - No team activities in town 5 nights a week,
School has an advance course etc
Old Feb 5th 2006, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I've spent a lot of time in Vernon. It is a nice place and used to be fairly quiet but it has grown beyond recognition now. The road system is not really up to the amount of traffic and the town can get quite clogged at peak travelling times.

To the east of Vernon is an area called Coldstream - this is where a lot of executives chose to live, although up in BX is becoming pretty popular because of Silver Star Ski Resort.

Lavington, a bit further on from Coldstream and Aberdeen plays home to Tolko, a large company who have an incinerator. It would be worth your while to investigate Tolko - as they were planning to enlarge in size. There are major concerns about health problems due to the pollution levels. It is a shame as Lavington is such a lovely little place.

Further to the east is a place called Lumby - do not be tempted to move there, even though the prices are greatly cheaper, LOL!!

To the west of Vernon, is a large IR so not so many people tend to live there. South West is where the newish golf course Predator Ridge is and there are properties available for purchase on the golf course.

To the north of Vernon is Armstrong; a real cute old western-type town in pretty countryside, however it is surrounded by tonnes of smelly chicken farms.

The shopping in Vernon is pretty good and you will be able to get almost everything there. Kelowna is not such a far drive away for larger stores. The schools are nice and the people are very friendly. Good luck.
I live in Armstrong have done for 30 years I live on 10 ac..there is a chicken farm on the next piece of land to me (the chickens are egg layers) there is more smell from the Wood mill then the chicken farm..I dont know where the other Tonnes of chicken farms are, I will say this it's a great place to live we are only about an hour from Sicamous (houseboat heaven)...
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Vernon Bc

[QUOTE=Tiaribbon]

Thanks for your comments. Can you be more specific about Lumby as it was one of the places we were considering. We will be renting initially so this should give us a good opportunity to get a feel for the various areas.

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeannie
I live in Armstrong have done for 30 years I live on 10 ac..there is a chicken farm on the next piece of land to me (the chickens are egg layers) there is more smell from the Wood mill then the chicken farm..I dont know where the other Tonnes of chicken farms are, I will say this it's a great place to live we are only about an hour from Sicamous (houseboat heaven)...

Thanks Jeannie for your comments on Armstrong. Again, another location we are considering and will have a good look round when we get out in June (hopefully). We currently live in a small rural community and would possibly prefer something similar.

Cheers
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by glenlivet
Thanks Jeannie for your comments on Armstrong. Again, another location we are considering and will have a good look round when we get out in June (hopefully). We currently live in a small rural community and would possibly prefer something similar.

Cheers
Great if you come to Armstrong I"ll take you for coffee at the Cheese Factory (Armstrong is famous for its cheese)...My sister is coming out for 3 months in May , She lives in Cheshire.......
Old Feb 8th 2006, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeannie
Great if you come to Armstrong I"ll take you for coffee at the Cheese Factory (Armstrong is famous for its cheese)...My sister is coming out for 3 months in May , She lives in Cheshire.......
Hi,

We'll take you up on your invite once we are out there. Have been viewing some lovely looking houses in Armstrong on the internet today. Wish we were there at the moment as one of the houses looks fantastic.

Was reading a while ago on a Vancouver forum about the difficulty in getting "real" cheese. Doesn't sound like this is a problem in Armstrong...
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glenlivet
Hi,

We'll take you up on your invite once we are out there. Have been viewing some lovely looking houses in Armstrong on the internet today. Wish we were there at the moment as one of the houses looks fantastic.

Was reading a while ago on a Vancouver forum about the difficulty in getting "real" cheese. Doesn't sound like this is a problem in Armstrong...
Good bring the kids Armstrong is horse country.. in fact more horses than chickens....
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:32 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

In my opinion, Lumby is very much a "redneck" village. Not a lot going on there but lots of "odd-looking, in-bred" people! Go visit and you will see what I mean.

As for Armstrong, as I said, really cute old-western type town however we viewed over 20 large farms there and every single one was right next door to a chicken farm, and they stank! Perhaps Jeannie lives on the non-chicken farm side of town!

I found this quote from the Virtual Vernon site:
The North Okanagan chicken growers in Armstrong produce more than 11 million kilograms of chicken meat worth $13 million per year.
That's quite a lot of chickens in my book.