Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vehicle MOT/Road Tax in Ontario

Vehicle MOT/Road Tax in Ontario

Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle MOT/Road Tax in Ontario

Originally Posted by stepnek
It's my experience of living in Ontario that the emission test is required every other year. When the reminder arrives in the mail for the license plate sticker renewal information is included as to whether the emission test is due that year or not.
Unless you fail to pass the etest and have a "conditional" certificate (ie you spent up to the set ~$400 limit to try and pass, but didnt), in which case you get to repeat the charade annually.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:14 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

As said by others, in Ontario the only test you really test is the DriveClean emissions test done every two years.

A lack of MOT or some other yearly test does explain some of the horrific cars you see driving along. Part of me really would like to see a yearly safety test and I'm surprised they've not tried to implement this as an "environmental" measure to get old junkers off the road.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:12 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
I honestly do not remember, but would be easy to google and find out http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...stkrenew.shtml

about half way down page, but yes it's cheaper in Ont
If you live within the City of Toronto boundaries, there's also a $60 Personal Vehicle Tax on top for renewing licence tags.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Unless you fail to pass the etest and have a "conditional" certificate (ie you spent up to the set ~$400 limit to try and pass, but didnt), in which case you get to repeat the charade annually.
I'd heard of this thing where you can effectively spend up to $400 and get a pass anyway but it didn't make any sense to me. So let me get this straight:

If the vehicle doesn't pass the emission test then there's a $400 limit on fixing it and then once that is spent the vehicle can be used for another year before being tested again?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:38 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I'd heard of this thing where you can effectively spend up to $400 and get a pass anyway but it didn't make any sense to me. So let me get this straight:

If the vehicle doesn't pass the emission test then there's a $400 limit on fixing it and then once that is spent the vehicle can be used for another year before being tested again?
Sounds about right....

How to pass your DriveClean test.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Sounds about right....

How to pass your DriveClean test.
I guess Iain's use of the word "charade" is about right then.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

Yes, and we're not referring to 80's Daihatsu cars either...
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, thats just the half of it.

so you pay your $400 or whatever for the diagnostic check and whatever steps that indicates are necessary....but your car is still failing right? They send you on your way, come back next year... OK, thats reasonable, we cant all afford to keep spending till we pass, or else get a new car that does.

Next year, surprise surprise, the car still fails, so what happens?

EXACTLY THE SAME THING. you do the diagnosis, it fails the same way, gets the same diagnosis, gets THE SAME REPLACEMENT PARTS!!!, not suprisingly it still fails, you reach $400, and repeat ad nauseum year after year, never fixing the poluting cars on the raod unless the first step (usuall a cleaning of some sort) actually works. They dont take the previous years work into consideration, they dont start from where they left off and try the next thing, they are not allowed too. If you want to do that then you take the chance that the money you spend in pursuit of the problem will not count towards your spending threshold!

My old mazda was in this situation, I decided to take a chance on a new Cat converter, and after that, it passed. If it had failed them I would have been $300 out of pocket.

Charade is being charitable. I was so pissed off I actually wrote to the minister in charge, who fobbed it off as someone elses problem of course.

The only thing I guess is that if you sell it in that state the new owner cant register it without a full pass, so in that respect it sort of works to take polluting vehicles out of the system eventually.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 11th 2009 at 1:05 am.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh, thats just the half of it.

so you pay your $400 or whatever for the diagnostic check and whatever steps that indicates are necessary....but your car is still failing right? They send you on your way, come back next year... OK, thats reasonable, we cant all afford to keep spending till we pass, or else get a new car that does.

Next year, surprise surprise, the car still fails, so what happens?

EXACTLY THE SAME THING. you do the diagnosis, it fails the same way, gets the same diagnosis, gets THE SAME REPLACEMENT PARTS!!!, not suprisingly it still fails, you reach $400, and repeat ad nauseum year after year, never fixing the poluting cars on the raod unless the first step (usuall a cleaning of some sort) actually works. They dont take the previous years work into consideration, they dont start from where they left off and try the next thing, they are not allowed too. If you want to do that then you take the chance that the money you spend in pursuit of the problem will not count towards your spending threshold!

My old mazda was in this situation, I decided to take a chance on a new Cat converter, and after that, it passed. If it had failed them I would have been $300 out of pocket.

Charade is being charitable. I was so pissed off I actually wrote to the minister in charge, who fobbed it off as someone elses problem of course.

The only thing I guess is that if you sell it in that state the new owner cant register it without a full pass, so in that respect it sort of works to take polluting vehicles out of the system eventually.
Wow. That's quite something isn't it? I mean I just end up shaking my head not understanding why those in charge cannot see the complete stupidity of it all. It's quite scary really.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in that exact situation myself...I need to go in August of 2010 to try and pass and I need to spend $400 (not sure if it is parts and labour or just parts) to try and fix it (and the place that is doing the work is the place that does the test...hmm). If I still fail I only get a 1 year reprieve...I think that is how it works.

I'll try some of the known tricks next time
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:46 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'm in that exact situation myself...I need to go in August of 2010 to try and pass and I need to spend $400 (not sure if it is parts and labour or just parts) to try and fix it (and the place that is doing the work is the place that does the test...hmm). If I still fail I only get a 1 year reprieve...I think that is how it works.

I'll try some of the known tricks next time
Its parts and labour, but you dont have to get the work done at the place that does the testing, that's up to you.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Its parts and labour, but you dont have to get the work done at the place that does the testing, that's up to you.
I've been taking the car to the same place for years and they seem to know my level of interest in cosmetic repairs etc.

I do have a friend who has told me he can guarantee I'll pass (probably based on some of the tricks of the trade listed on the internet)...I'll probably take him up on it...it will probably mean I have to pass the ball to him more often....suffice to say he isn't the most naturally talented on our team