Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver's fall from grace in city livability race

Vancouver's fall from grace in city livability race

Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:35 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver's fall from grace in city livability race

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No, electricians all earn $250k per year.
sign me up!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Worked for both public and private mate, not a lot of difference (both have their positives and negatives) just remember the private sector is about making money not supplying you with electricty. My previous utility CEO made $3million in the private sector last year; the equivalent CEO in Hydro about $450k - so much for the public sector earning more than the private! Typical uneducated public seduced by the media and government propaganda. I dont care for one minute if Hydro was in the public or private sector, makes no difference to me. Simple fact is I cannot recruit appropriate skills in the city whatever you think - if you know suitable candidates let me know and I will be more than happy to interview them (I get a bonus for every vacancy I can fill with external candidates and will only be too happy to oblige). I employ utility electricians not industrial electricians (please compare apples with apples when Ops post comments). Our direct competitors for skilled workers are the energy sector not Jo Blogs doing your local domestic wiring you can hire from the yellow pages. The simple reason to employ private sector workers is there is no requirement to report salaries, they can earn big $$$ and do as much OT as they like without public scrutiny - excellent value for the public.Too many people in this place with rose tinted spectacles.
I'll repeat the question. If it's so shit, why aren't you in the private sector - it's quite easy $120/h for 40h week = $240k. Or is that those jobs don't really exist in any significant number in Vancouver?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:42 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Kinhell does that include overtime Is that as a DC or higher? or whatever the rank structure is.
as a major crime sgt....(detective sgt in the UK) yes that is with overtime, plain clothes pay, senority pay, service pay etc....still only works out to about a 48 hour week though...worked 450 hours of overtime last year. Busier this year though, will likely hit around 165 k, if the pace keeps up.

I was chatting to a an ex met copper who works for new west police....he is still astonished at what coppers here earn compared to the UK.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
as a major crime sgt....(detective sgt in the UK) yes that is with overtime, plain clothes pay, senority pay, service pay etc....still only works out to about a 48 hour week though...worked 450 hours of overtime last year. Busier this year though, will likely hit around 165 k, if the pace keeps up.

I was chatting to a an ex met copper who works for new west police....he is still astonished at what coppers here earn compared to the UK.
I tend to think most in the major cities can make over 100 grand with overtime without being totally married to the job. OT where I am is minimal compared to yours but there are a few land border officers making around the 100 grand mark. Im happy enough with my 300 hrs every 56 day cycle of 30 x 10 hr shifts and 26 days off thank you. A 3 hour call back for the 4 am flights on a day off no thank you.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:56 pm
Banned

I tend to think most in the major cities can make over 100 grand with overtime without being totally married to the job. OT where I am is minimal compared to yours but there are a few land border officers making around the 100 grand mark. Im happy enough with my 300 hrs every 56 day cycle of 30 x 10 hr shifts and 26 days off thank you. A 3 hour call back for the 4 am flights on a day off no thank you.
Yep as I said, most cops make at least 100 k, with not much effort. I could work lots more, but turn down the discretionary ot...could have worked 30 hours last weekend at 100 bucks an hour, but I didn't need it, so let the jr members take it. I try and find some balance these days, but it's not always easy. I know guys at my level earning over 200 k a year, but they work all the hours they can.

There are also other benefits....car, phone, pension plan, benefits, compressed work weeks, leave etc....pretty decent over all.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yep as I said, most cops make at least 100 k, with not much effort. I could work lots more, but turn down the discretionary ot...could have worked 30 hours last weekend at 100 bucks an hour, but I didn't need it, so let the jr members take it. I try and find some balance these days, but it's not always easy. I know guys at my level earning over 200 k a year, but they work all the hours they can.

There are also other benefits....car, phone, pension plan, benefits, compressed work weeks, leave etc....pretty decent over all.
Now awaiting the what no doughnut and Timmies allowance
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:07 pm
Banned

Now awaiting the what no doughnut and Timmies allowance
Actually when I worked patrol in burnaby, timmies used to give us free coffee late at night as they liked us around.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There again according to this article Vancouver is pretty elitist

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../20024056.html
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny. There are tons of fatties in Vancouver.

I'd say she had a chip on her shoulder but she'd probably eat it.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:42 pm
Banned

What a load of crap....Although 60 percent of the USA is obese so she can vanish into obscurity.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by el_richo
That's funny. There are tons of fatties in Vancouver.

I'd say she had a chip on her shoulder but she'd probably eat it.
Imo....I notice more fatties in the uk than here.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Imo....I notice more fatties in the uk than here.
Depends where i am. I see more fatties in Maple Ridge than i did in Richmond, UK. I see more fatties in Mission and Abbortsford than i did in Harpenden.

I also noticed more fatties in Leeds than i do in White Rock.

There are probably equally as many fatties in both countries.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
+1.

I know a LOT of ex-Albertans living in Vancouver.
Well I know a ton of ex-Vancouverites living here, doesn't really prove anything. They seem to move here to get bigger houses or merely to afford a house, based on the conversations I've had. I had this conversation at the drug store yesterday, the pharmacist is an ex-Vancouverite and I asked her why she moved here, Vancouver is "too crowded and too expensive".
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

i'd hardly call vancouver an overcrowded place
So what would you call overcrowded? I'm hard pressed to think of anywhere in N America more crowded. Manhattan? Parts of Mexico City?

Basically a tiny sliver of land 25 miles wide at the end of the Fraser Valley.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Personally i hate C town....i know the place very well, bland, boring and depressing, despite the chinooks
Putting down Calgary doesn't make Vancouver a better place to live. How is it "depressing" exactly, not half as depressing as sitting in an endless traffic jam when it's raining, imx.

On the crowding point, Calgary is 22 miles top to bottom and doesn't have a harbour in the middle of it and has a population of 1.1 million. So even purely based on the metro area Calgary is fantastically less crowded. I realize I'm stating the blindingly obvious by saying that, but the point is that Calgary doesn't have the same restrictions on growth. In Vancouver it seems to me the only way to increase space is going to be to go skyward, and Vancouver is famous for the restrictions it has on building height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.