Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver vs Calgary

Vancouver vs Calgary

Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver vs Calgary

Just some context: A ridiculous amount of Quebec PNPs end up in Vancouver. I doubt Ontario is any better, do they even ever follow up? Data (such as tax returns etc.) can't be shared between government departments due to privacy laws. However there certainly is a risk doing this that you will be found out, though if you are caught you will be entitled to an appeal to explain your case. If you are able to explain you legitimately couldn't make it work in Ontario, you might be allowed to stay, though it won't be a fun time thats for sure.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Aug 15th 2019 at 6:30 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Just some context: A ridiculous amount of Quebec PNPs end up in Vancouver. I doubt Ontario is any better, do they even ever follow up? Data (such as tax returns etc.) can't be shared between government departments due to privacy laws. However there certainly is a risk doing this that you will be found out, though if you are caught you will be entitled to an appeal to explain your case. If you are able to explain you legitimately couldn't make it work in Ontario, you might be allowed to stay, though it won't be a fun time thats for sure.

'
I know there is that risk :-/ My only other option is to land as a holiday and move back to somewhere else in Ontario.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

the consequences of changing the flights pales in comparison with losing your PR status.

Yeah, I guess in that way, it takes away my dilemma of where to go back to in Canada :-/
Old Aug 15th 2019, 9:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_mp
I understand. My problem now is I've already booked my flights the other day for Vancouver :-/

'
I know there is that risk :-/ My only other option is to land as a holiday and move back to somewhere else in Ontario.

Then you have a problem - particularly as you left so soon after gaining PR - and are not returning to your Province of Nomination .. with a one-way ticket they are likely to question you saying it's a holiday - so if you want to remain a Permanent Resident I would strongly suggest that you either change your ticket or book yourself an onward ticket to Ontario either by plane or train for when you arrive (i.e. leaving within a couple of days of your flight arriving) so that you can show the CBSA officer that your intention is to remain in Ontario thus meeting your Provincial Nomination conditions.

As to where to live - Burlington is a nice City.. or what about Guelph - a University town where you may find opportunities (and there's transportation to Toronto if you needed it).

Have a look at jobs in the pharmaceutical industry perhaps?
https://ca.indeed.com/Pharmaceutical...obs-in-Ontario

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 15th 2019 at 9:13 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Then you have a problem - particularly as you left so soon after gaining PR - and are not returning to your Province of Nomination .. with a one-way ticket they are likely to question you saying it's a holiday - so if you want to remain a Permanent Resident I would strongly suggest that you either change your ticket or book yourself an onward ticket to Ontario either by plane or train for when you arrive (i.e. leaving within a couple of days of your flight arriving) so that you can show the CBSA officer that your intention is to remain in Ontario thus meeting your Provincial Nomination conditions.

As to where to live - Burlington is a nice City.. or what about Guelph - a University town where you may find opportunities (and there's transportation to Toronto if you needed it).

Have a look at jobs in the pharmaceutical industry perhaps?
https://ca.indeed.com/Pharmaceutical...obs-in-Ontario

Thanks Sioux for your advice on this.

One of my thoughts was to move to Burlington, though it looks lovely, it's almost just as expensive as Toronto and I think I'd have to commute to Toronto to find work since it does look like it would be somewhere where I can find a job within Burlington itself. I struggled to think of where else in Ontario which was decently priced and still not long a commute or seemed like somewhere I'd like to move to.

Thanks for the link to Indeed. I know I'll need to continue to look for related jobs. So far, I've not found something else that really appeals and the ones that do, I've not really had much success in, or still require licensing.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean the investors in Quebec Immigrant Investor Program?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3886743/q...ram-vancouver/

I doubt any of them have lost PR.

Old Aug 15th 2019, 10:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It seems there are two issues that may be problematic.
You must continue to demonstrate on a reasonable basis an intention to reside in Ontario.
If that is considered to be around two years, would it be from the original landing date - Sept 2016 - or two years total as in the 730 days calculation?
Does anything flash up when the PR Card is presented that PR was based on Ontario residency and that OP left Canada early 2017?

The other issue is that 5 years have not been reached yet. In theory the 730 days residency may be met but I believe the OP has to prove to IRCC that the 730 days will be met, not just that it's still possible to achieve. That might be the first problem.

In the event of any questioning one imagines something of the following would be important - a definite job in Ontario; accommodation already arranged there; sufficient funds to enable one to secure accommodation and live on until one or both arranged; or a sound explanation including something about maintaining links with Ontario while absent for an extended period. Maybe a course signed up for?

Arriving in another province? I can't see that helping unless that's just sightseeing or something before returning to Ontario.

On the other hand it seems from other discussions that sometimes people have already failed to meet the PR conditions but have yet to have reached a stage of being reported, have re-entered Canada without issues and later succeeded with renewing the PR Card.

But what happens if you don't get lucky and lose PR?

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 15th 2019 at 10:15 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
You mean the investors in Quebec Immigrant Investor Program?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3886743/q...ram-vancouver/

I doubt any of them have lost PR.
Yeah the investor program, and what you said is actually my point. The risk of being caught is probably fairly low if Ontario is anything like Quebec with it's PNP.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 11:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the investor program, and what you said is actually my point. The risk of being caught is probably fairly low if Ontario is anything like Quebec with it's PNP.
I don't think this is similar. As I understand it the investor programs are simple passport sales, the government wants money and provides status in return; lots of countries have such deals. In the case of the PNP programs, the government wants people, people with specific skills, and offers residency in return for those skills. In the first case so long as the money's there I'd expect a blind eye to be turned to the location of the person paying it. In the case of PNP, not so much. I think you'd likely get away with living in ON for a while then quietly moving west so long as you didn't make it obvious what you're doing.

I fear that we shall never know, for years we'll wonder if the OP is in Stanley Park or booted back to Bootle.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It seems there are two issues that may be problematic.

If that is considered to be around two years, would it be from the original landing date - Sept 2016 - or two years total as in the 730 days calculation?
Does anything flash up when the PR Card is presented that PR was based on Ontario residency and that OP left Canada early 2017?

The other issue is that 5 years have not been reached yet. In theory the 730 days residency may be met but I believe the OP has to prove to IRCC that the 730 days will be met, not just that it's still possible to achieve. That might be the first problem.

In the event of any questioning one imagines something of the following would be important - a definite job in Ontario; accommodation already arranged there; sufficient funds to enable one to secure accommodation and live on until one or both arranged; or a sound explanation including something about maintaining links with Ontario while absent for an extended period. Maybe a course signed up for?

Arriving in another province? I can't see that helping unless that's just sightseeing or something before returning to Ontario.

On the other hand it seems from other discussions that sometimes people have already failed to meet the PR conditions but have yet to have reached a stage of being reported, have re-entered Canada without issues and later succeeded with renewing the PR Card.

But what happens if you don't get lucky and lose PR?
Thanks BristolUK for your thoughts on this. I have decided not to take the risk and will land in Toronto when I go back. I know it's not worth risking my PR for leaving to go to another province. Luckily my flight actually has a changeover at Toronto and when I called the airline to change my flights to Toronto instead, they advised me that I didn't need to and that I could just inform them that I won't board the second leg of my flight, and just get out at Toronto. I guess I learnt things the hard way, but I know it's not worth the risk of losing my PR.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 7:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily my flight actually has a changeover at Toronto and when I called the airline to change my flights to Toronto instead, they advised me that I didn't need to and that I could just inform them that I won't board the second leg of my flight, and just get out at Toronto. I guess I learnt things the hard way, but I know it's not worth the risk of losing my PR.
So long as your luggage gets out with you

Old Aug 22nd 2019, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So long as your luggage gets out with you
Yeah I had checked with the airline about luggage, and apparently I would need to collect my luggage in Toronto whether I was going on further or not - apparently all flights coming into Canada from Europe, the luggage needs to be collected at the stopover at Toronto before checking it in again if you're flying further afield. But I'll double check with them to make sure it does before I board my flight in UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I had checked with the airline about luggage, and apparently I would need to collect my luggage in Toronto whether I was going on further or not - apparently all flights coming into Canada from Europe, the luggage needs to be collected at the stopover at Toronto before checking it in again if you're flying further afield. But I'll double check with them to make sure it does before I board my flight in UK.
I just looked it up - you will go through Canadian customs in Toronto, before flying to Vancouver as if it was a domestic flight. Having a that ticket for the connection to Vancouver could still raise questions. On the other hand this could mean it won't actually make any difference whether you fly onwards to Vancouver or not. The guide mentions "Do not pick up checked baggage." but I think this part is just Air Canada, not necessarily all airlines.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/int-ca.html

Customers connecting from U.S., U.K. and Europe
  1. Follow purple signage to Connections / D gates.
  2. Clear Canada Customs. Do not pick up checked baggage.
  3. Proceed onward to your departure gate via bus.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Aug 22nd 2019 at 10:57 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked it up - you will go through Canadian customs in Toronto, before flying to Vancouver as if it was a domestic flight. Having a that ticket for the connection to Vancouver could still raise questions. On the other hand this could mean it won't actually make any difference whether you fly onwards to Vancouver or not. The guide mentions "Do not pick up checked baggage." but I think this part is just Air Canada, not necessarily all airlines.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/int-ca.html

Customers connecting from U.S., U.K. and Europe
  1. Follow purple signage to Connections / D gates.
  2. Clear Canada Customs. Do not pick up checked baggage.
  3. Proceed onward to your departure gate via bus.
Last time I arrived in Toronto from London there was signage to the effect above and airport staff running around contradicting it. No one knew whether bags had to be collected or not. Some officials thought it depended on the originating airport, some the destination one, some the airline. I smiled, nearly losing the customs form from my mouth. It's always like that at the Toronto airport.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Last time I arrived in Toronto from London there was signage to the effect above and airport staff running around contradicting it. No one knew whether bags had to be collected or not. Some officials thought it depended on the originating airport, some the destination one, some the airline. I smiled, nearly losing the customs form from my mouth. It's always like that at the Toronto airport.
You will be pleased to note that you no longer have to fill out that pesky paper form and stick it in your mouth anymore. You simply just go to a kiosk and answer questions on a touch screen and then receive a printed ticket which you may then choose to stick in your mouth before handing it over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.