Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver vs Calgary

Vancouver vs Calgary

Old May 16th 2011, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Ddogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Vancouver vs Calgary

I lived in Calgary over 10 years and after 1 year I was ready to blow this ghost town full of the most hatefull people I have ever seen and met. First off the only things to do in this city is visit the over priced and under developed Zoo they have which is nothing more than a park with animals in the most tight quarters I have ever seen animals live in. You could go swimming, oh wait, I forgot to mention that there are no outside pools. Inside pools only and very boring at that. Or you could go walk through the parks they have if you like looking at the same tree's over and over again and people bringing their dogs to crap all over the place. You can't even play at the park without rolling in dog crap or stepping in it. If you are in Calgary to make friends just forget about it that is unless you can buy them then every crooked back calgarian will follow you when you mention money and you have lots of it. Don't expect a smile from anyone or a good morning or friendly nieghbor giving a helping hand, it just isn't going to happen. I lived in the States most of my life and people there atleast smile and say good morning and good night and they were strangers. I am moving back to Los Angeles where people are atleast nice and friendly and smoke friendly. Calgary you are way behind in things as simple as actual satellite channels and how to treat people and not just once a year when the stampede comes around so you can take the money and run. Calgary is nothing more than a old folks home with nothing to do but drink your memories of it down the drain. Vancouver was fun but then again nice place to visit but not live. Calgary is just plain boring with a capitol BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!
Old May 16th 2011, 8:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver vs Calgary

Originally Posted by Ddogg
I lived in Calgary over 10 years and after 1 year I was ready to blow this ghost town full of the most hatefull people I have ever seen and met. First off the only things to do in this city is visit the over priced and under developed Zoo they have which is nothing more than a park with animals in the most tight quarters I have ever seen animals live in. You could go swimming, oh wait, I forgot to mention that there are no outside pools. Inside pools only and very boring at that. Or you could go walk through the parks they have if you like looking at the same tree's over and over again and people bringing their dogs to crap all over the place. You can't even play at the park without rolling in dog crap or stepping in it. If you are in Calgary to make friends just forget about it that is unless you can buy them then every crooked back calgarian will follow you when you mention money and you have lots of it. Don't expect a smile from anyone or a good morning or friendly nieghbor giving a helping hand, it just isn't going to happen. I lived in the States most of my life and people there atleast smile and say good morning and good night and they were strangers. I am moving back to Los Angeles where people are atleast nice and friendly and smoke friendly. Calgary you are way behind in things as simple as actual satellite channels and how to treat people and not just once a year when the stampede comes around so you can take the money and run. Calgary is nothing more than a old folks home with nothing to do but drink your memories of it down the drain. Vancouver was fun but then again nice place to visit but not live. Calgary is just plain boring with a capitol BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!
So did you like Calgary or not?
Old May 16th 2011, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Calgary over 10 years and after 1 year I was ready to blow this ghost town full of the most hatefull people I have ever seen and met.
Where else in the world have you been to be able to justifiably describe Calgary as hateful?

First off the only things to do in this city is visit the over priced and under developed Zoo they have which is nothing more than a park with animals in the most tight quarters I have ever seen animals live in.
I take it that you haven't visited many zoos, if you really believe that statement.

You could go swimming, oh wait, I forgot to mention that there are no outside pools. Inside pools only and very boring at that.
I can think of at least 6 outside pools that I have visited. Have you actually been outside in Calgary?

Or you could go walk through the parks they have if you like looking at the same tree's over and over again and people bringing their dogs to crap all over the place. You can't even play at the park without rolling in dog crap or stepping in it.
Really? Dogs are banned from all parks (in the sense you imply) in Calgary. I have never trodden in doggie do-da in Calgary.

If you are in Calgary to make friends just forget about it that is unless you can buy them then every crooked back calgarian will follow you when you mention money and you have lots of it. Don't expect a smile from anyone or a good morning or friendly nieghbor giving a helping hand, it just isn't going to happen.
This hasn't been my experience.

I lived in the States most of my life and people there atleast smile and say good morning and good night and they were strangers. I am moving back to Los Angeles where people are atleast nice and friendly and smoke friendly.
You blew all your credibility with that one

Calgary you are way behind in things as simple as actual satellite channels and how to treat people and not just once a year when the stampede comes around so you can take the money and run. Calgary is nothing more than a old folks home with nothing to do but drink your memories of it down the drain. Vancouver was fun but then again nice place to visit but not live. Calgary is just plain boring with a capitol BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!
Old May 16th 2011, 8:50 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Trollyroll.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Ddogg is an unknown quantity at this point

My point exactly. My guess is that you senorita's are from Canada. Wow! You really do live in a bubble up here. When i walk down a street and not one person will even so much as look or smile or say atleast hello and you think just because you experience something you lived with your whole life that we are all supposed to some how respect you for it. Good luck on that one. You people really put the "H" in hate even when someone post their experience in Boring Calgary you can't accept the truth. Whimps! please stop you senorita's are killing me!!
Old May 16th 2011, 10:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
So did you like Calgary or not?
It is hard to tell but I think he does really.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:00 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

My point exactly. My guess is that you senorita's are from Canada. Wow! You really do live in a bubble up here. When i walk down a street and not one person will even so much as look or smile or say atleast hello and you think just because you experience something you lived with your whole life that we are all supposed to some how respect you for it. Good luck on that one. You people really put the "H" in hate even when someone post their experience in Boring Calgary you can't accept the truth. Whimps! please stop you senorita's are killing me!!
Yawns.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:03 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

My point exactly. My guess is that you senorita's are from Canada. Wow! You really do live in a bubble up here. When i walk down a street and not one person will even so much as look or smile or say at least hello...
You must have lived in a different Calgary to the one I live in.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:05 pm
Meh

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You must have lived in a different Calgary to the one I live in.
Probably the NE.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GavinR
Probably the NE.
But even there they smile and nod...just before they shoot you.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Although the guy is clearly a troll, Calgary is definitely not all roses.

My generalization of Toronto is that the people there are generally uptight, money-oriented, in a rush all the time and not really interested in being friendly.
There are very few really in-your-face obnoxious assholes in Toronto though there are also very few super friendly people either.

My generalization of Calgary is that it's split: there are the down-home, friendly cowboy types who smile at your on the street, strike up conversations etc and who you can joke around with. These are about 80% of the population.
The other 20% of Calgarians are pretty in your face offensive to be quite frank. They are ignorant red-neck fncks who just don't want anyone from outside in "their" city and they have no qualms about letting you know that. I run across these kinds infrequently, but my wife runs across them all the time, leading me to suspect it's old fashioned racism.

I also need to point out that I have seen actual neo-nazi skinhead youth on the buses a couple of times in Calgary whereas I *never* saw that in Toronto.

Also: the same thing applies to driving in Calgary. There are *way* too many obnoxious tailgating assholes in this town. In Toronto they are impatient and pass you while shaking their fists at you but at least they pass you. In Calgary they sit on your tail, risking *your life* because they are too lazy and selfish to pass.

That said, on balance I like Calgary better than Toronto because they're *mostly* nicer, but let's not ignore the shit on the sidewalk just because there's *some* nice shiny things to look at.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Something I'd like to add about Calgary:

I noticed when I was in Toronto that the average Canadian had an insufferable arrogance about all things Canadian. To generalize basically the opinion was that all things Canadian were the best in the world. You couldn't shake that opinion.

In Calgary, however, they are more willing to admit that maybe not everything is perfect. That's very refreshing and makes them a lot easier to deal with. They are at least willing to entertain they are not right all the time.

Examples you will hear in Ontario:
"We have no accent"
"We have the best military in the world"
"We speak the best English in the world"
"We have the best Universities in the world"
"We have the best schools in the world"
"Everything here is cheaper than in your country"
"Everything in your country costs the same in pounds as it does in dollars"
"This is the best country in the world"

You're expected to shut up and be so grateful that you're here that you cannot voice an opinion, even if there's clearly something wrong because you've seen it done better elsewhere with your own eyes.

You will also get hit with "If you don't like it get out" line in Ontario more than in Calgary.

I've probably missed a few.

That said, I could spend a few hours describing all the things I don't like about back home. I guess I'm a whingeing Brit to an extent LOL.
Old May 17th 2011, 7:15 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

When i walk down a street and not one person will even so much as look or smile or say atleast hello
Is it because you're black? Maybe your fatness offends?