Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver to the UK

Vancouver to the UK

Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:55 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver to the UK

Originally Posted by james.mc
I agree... I wasn't being picky, but was just pointing out that the OP does not have to be British only, by way of nationality. Just about any other EU citizenship will give the OP the right to live and work in the UK. Not many Canadians (or those with dual nationality brought up in Canada) might know that.

On a similar vein (Canada to the UK) .... is Canada a 'Visa Exempt' country as far as UK immigration is concerned? Would a Canadian be able to front up in the UK without a visa and stay (as a visitor - no right to work) for 6 months the same way a Brit can in Canada?
Plans are to 'move for a few years' so that would mean getting a job, unless coming from a very rich family or very wealthy in her own right.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:59 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Plans are to 'move for a few years' so that would mean getting a job, unless coming from a very rich family or very wealthy in her own right.
Yeah, I get that also, I was just pondering on the latter point as an aside.

Rather than be totally lazy I googled it. The answer is pretty much the same in both directions. 6 months no visa required (with exceptions).
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/cou...e=UK%20English

Last edited by james.mc; Jan 5th 2013 at 11:38 am.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
Yeah, I get that also, I was just pondering on the latter point as an aside.

Rather than be totally lazy I googled it. The answer is pretty much the same in both directions. 6 months no visa required (with exceptions).
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/cou...e=UK%20English
From what the OP said, she is looking to come over for a few years, so would need a visa if she isn't British citizen, so needs to sort all that out first before trying to decide on what city would be the best.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKorBust
Basically what I'm asking for. Is there anyone here who grew up in a Canadian/American lifestyle. then moved to England (Bonus points for BC city!!)
My children were born in Canada and grew up in Toronto. They went to high school next to Maple Leaf Gardens. The eldest later worked in a trauma unit downtown and so was familiar with urban life in Canada. She emigrated and now lives in central London.

Differences she's mentioned:

- she easily purchased a house in Toronto but in London it's not feasible, the rent on their two bedroomed flat is GBP500 a week.

- the weather in London is dreary, she misses the sun

- access to everywhere is better from London, they're two stops on the DLR from the city centre airport and have had recent holidays in the Canaries, Malta, Turkey and Italy. They're going to Vietnam for February.

- From a professional perspective, Toronto has more shootings, London more stabbings.

She has a sister who lives in Kits. The contrast in lifestyle between the London sister, always out, smokes, drinks, having a high old time, and the one in Vancouver, reads a lot, attends her partner's family gatherings some of them involving church, could not be more marked. They are, however, similarly active in sports. The one in London boxes and SCUBA dives (hence the Canaries). The one in Vancouver skies once a week and sails.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 5th 2013 at 1:39 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Early twenties, want to experience culture and a big city buzz in the UK?

London.

Not much else to discuss.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

UKorBust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
From what the OP said, she is looking to come over for a few years, so would need a visa if she isn't British citizen, so needs to sort all that out first before trying to decide on what city would be the best.

Yes, I know I would need a visa. I've checked out the Tier5 Youth mobility Visa. I fit the requirements completely, and it would allow me up to 24 months of living/Working in the UK. I am keeping it as a possibility, but I'm currently searching to find a Visa that would allow me to stay longer. (36 Months MINIMUM)

and I do plan on working. I don't believe in living off of others people's money
Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

I am considering Southampton. or Bristolo, but would that be boring for a city girl? I work in Retail and Marketing, so How would the job aspects be in any of those 3 places?

My other question,is the cultural differences. Some people say its a vast difference, but others say its all in the way you think.. I checked out a post saying 'day-to-day differences' but it didn't explain much.

Xx
Personally at least initially I would move to West London: anywhere between Hammersmith to West Ealing etc. For the new to the culture its a guaranteed soft landing, without losing any benefits. Culture-wise so much depends on what you are like as a person. Do you like small talk? smile easily? can you take a joke?, weather a snub ? If so, you will do just fine, promise you!.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

We got a lad from Toronto trains at our gym in sheffield, he's studying medicine at one of the uni's.. he's staying after he graduates, loads to do and a massive choice for social life, peak district on your doorstep, safest large city in the UK.. greenest city in the UK... 4th largest city in england... top city...
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clay
We got a lad from Toronto trains at our gym in sheffield, he's studying medicine at one of the uni's.. he's staying after he graduates, loads to do and a massive choice for social life, peak district on your doorstep, safest large city in the UK.. greenest city in the UK... 4th largest city in england... top city...

This isn't the first time I've heard good things of this sort about Sheffield. And toher description of it definitely entices me, I'll have to check further into here, and ask my roomie how she feels about it. For some reason it sounds like home. Xx
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gezza
Personally at least initially I would move to West London: anywhere between Hammersmith to West Ealing etc. For the new to the culture its a guaranteed soft landing, without losing any benefits. Culture-wise so much depends on what you are like as a person. Do you like small talk? smile easily? can you take a joke?, weather a snub ? If so, you will do just fine, promise you!.
I am not the best at small talk, but I like listening to it, and giving my own opinion...
I would say I smile extremely easily haha and I can take however much people can take in return my friends and I dont mind self-deprecating humour upon most occasions <3
A snub?

I'm from Vancouver. And I love Vancouver. Thus meaning I love rain.. Random fact
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Vancouver. And I love Vancouver. Thus meaning I love rain.. Random fact
Visit Ireland. I took a woman, originally from Ireland, from Toronto to visit Vancouver

"28 years of this weather, I suffered. I moved to Canada to get away, now you put me in this miserable place?".

For this, I wondered, I should have left the Jew?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Visit Ireland. I took a woman, originally from Ireland, from Toronto to visit Vancouver

"28 years of this weather, I suffered. I moved to Canada to get away, now you put me in this miserable place?".

For this, I wondered, I should have left the Jew?
What?.... I'm quite confused....
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

another thing about sheffield is its very cosmopolitan, loads of little coffee shops, great fashion shops, it is also close to everywhere.. ie. London 2 hour by train.. Manchester is 50km away, you can drive to scotland in less than 4 hours..... we are moving back there from NS next year... the weather is pretty ok. no major differences , but we don't get big snowfalls...
foe a new 2 bed condo in the city you will pay around $700 a month...
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

What?.... I'm quite confused....
If you want rain, constant miserable drizzle, then visit Belfast, it's like Vancouver in that way.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:33 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't the first time I've heard good things of this sort about Sheffield. And toher description of it definitely entices me, I'll have to check further into here, and ask my roomie how she feels about it. For some reason it sounds like home. Xx
Don't go north of Watford, it is made up of mainly mining villages and awash with chip shops.
Stay south and you should be OK.

Last edited by Danny B; Jan 6th 2013 at 8:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.