Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

vancouver or toronto??

vancouver or toronto??

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:13 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: vancouver or toronto??

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This demonstrates exactly why the videos should never have been posted in the first place. Also, NumpyPI doesn't live in Toronto.

I've lived in both places. Both are fine and I'm not sure the differences are really that great. Vancouver is smaller, more outdoors stuff, not really a city in lots of ways. I lived in Kits which was very pleasant. Where you can afford to live makes a big difference I think. Toronto is bigger, more city stuff going on. Lots of nice neighbourhoods, good shopping, restaurants etc. Subway makes getting around relatively easy. Easier to get to UK if that matters.
If you do a recce and the weather is nice you will love Vancouver as opposed to Toronto. Just remember a visit is not the same as living there though. Probably more work opportunities in TO for a chef?
I agree with this view. Having spent some time in Toronto, i like it for different reasons over Vancouver. More of the big city vibe, more going on, more people, more established and interesting neighborhoods, better night life....

Vancouver is much prettier and personally I think has much nicer summers. Cost of living is higher if you own, I imagine renting is similar. Lower utility costs in Vancouver due to the milder climate.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:18 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, $1,500 a month is fine for a condo but a bit light for a house in a decent area. The best place to look and get an idea of rental prices is craig's list. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/apa/

$2,000 will get a family home in the suburbs.

Edit: Vancouver area.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jul 23rd 2010 at 3:21 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:30 am
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

If you do decide to give Toronto a try, I'd recommend looking into living in the High Park area. There are a few apartment buildings that offer decent condos for a decent price, or you can look into renting a flat in the adjacent Roncesvalles, within one of those huge old victorian houses that people have split into multi-family units. That's what we did, and we really liked it. This is a nice neighbourhood, you get a "small town" feeling where people actually walk to the grocery store, kids walk to school and lake Ontario and High Park are also within walking distance with all they have to offer. On the other hand, you can get on the subway and be downtown in 10 minutes.

I myself prefer small towns to big cities, but I can see how being a chef that's really not an option, so I won't go into describing the beauties of rural life. But for a young family with kids that has to live in Toronto, High Park/Roncesvalles is a great area.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:44 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo&Alex
I myself prefer small towns to big cities, but I can see how being a chef that's really not an option,
My little village of <3000 people has at least three restaurants I can think of off the top of my head.

No university though to pursue a law career though... I suppose there are plenty of places like Kingston, K-W etc though that could also support the OPs needs, and thats just Ontario. They do say they would prefer a small town feel after all.
There may be fewer absolute numbers of job opportunities in smaller towns, but then there are fewer people chasing those jobs too, and more opportunity perhaps to get known around the place and network?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanna2467
I am currently studying for a law degree which i am hoping to get certified by the NCA in Canada and take the bar there so the universities in both areas were also a factor as are the jobs available after qualification.
I'm not sure I follow this. If attending a university is required as part of the NCA certification then finding one for that will be the driving force in selecting a location. If the certification is administrivia then finding a firm that will take you on with only a foreign qualification might be a project and determine the location. I would think that, compared to this, finding a job in some sort of kitchen would be relatively easy, though finding an appropriate position in an appropriate kitchen might also be a challenge.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:01 am
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

I personally happen to think that Kingston is one of the best places to live. And yes, there are lots of restaurants, and the University, and tons of things to do with the kids. Plus 1500/month for rent will actually take you a long way! And it has the lake, and this amazing vibe....

I love Kingston.... We are talking about Kingston, ON, right?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:02 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I personally happen to think that Kingston is one of the best places to live. And yes, there are lots of restaurants, and the University, and tons of things to do with the kids. Plus 1500/month for rent will actually take you a long way! And it has the lake, and this amazing vibe....

I love Kingston.... We are talking about Kingston, ON, right?
I was. The skiing isnt as good as vancouver though.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

and the University
I'm on another, like, planet. Unless the objective is just to admire the university buildings, one needs a place before a school is any use. This typically means getting into the school and moving to it. Thus, physical proximity to a university for which one may not qualify or which may not offer a course of interest, seems of little value.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

From a purely quasi-experimental empirical basis, Vancouver is nice, Toronto is crap.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:03 pm
Canadians!!

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm on another, like, planet. Unless the objective is just to admire the university buildings, one needs a place before a school is any use. This typically means getting into the school and moving to it. Thus, physical proximity to a university for which one may not qualify or which may not offer a course of interest, seems of little value.
Of course, but this will be the case anywhere OP goes... It seems like this is not what decides the final destination in this case though. Not sure why, since I would think (like you) it's easier to find a job as a chef than a spot teaching at a University. I've never been a chef though...

We always went where our studies took us, that's how we ended up living in Toronto, even though we didn't plan to.

So I think dbd has the best advice: find a place at a Uni and go live there! Maybe you can just open your own restaurant if there aren't enough chef jobs around?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:19 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I hear the Yukon is nice!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:12 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Cant believe it but its looks like we might be going to Toronto now. Rather excited after 2 years of shyte in Ireland. Wont be supporting the Maple Laughs though
Old Jul 24th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently studying for a law degree which i am hoping to get certified by the NCA in Canada and take the bar there so the universities in both areas were also a factor as are the jobs available after qualification.

On the university front, S Ontario has a collection of excellent universities (arguably world class in one or two instances). Waterloo, Western Ont and UofT are all relatively close to each other geographically and excellent in my area (not law admittedly). Queen's, I think, has a really strong reputation for law . Mcgill in Montreal has one of the best in the country but that's a ways north.

If you head to Vancouver, UBC and Simon Fraser are also really strong universities so you prob can't go wrong there on that front. Check out the 'Maclean's Guide to Canadian Universities' if you come out on a recce trip (maybe you can get online) available in most bookstores. That'll give you the latest lowdown on the good law schools in Canada.