Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver or Toronto

Vancouver or Toronto

Old May 11th 2003, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

richardwhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver or Toronto

I am considering emigrating to Canada and would be grateful if you could provide your opinions on which of the 2 cities i have in mind- Vancouver and Toronto would be the best to relocate to in terms of:
property costs
climate
people
jobs
entertainment
Old May 11th 2003, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Dog Biscuit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver or Toronto

Originally posted by richardwhite
I am considering emigrating to Canada and would be grateful if you could provide your opinions on which of the 2 cities i have in mind- Vancouver and Toronto would be the best to relocate to in terms of:
property costs
climate
people
jobs
entertainment
Property: try http://www.royallepage.ca/buying/guide.htm and click the survey of house prices - very interesting!

Climate: Vancouver I believe has a similar climate to London, but with drier summers and wetter winters. I think they actually have seasons.
Old May 11th 2003, 6:51 pm
Keelie

Vancouver or Toronto? If you're a big city person, Toronto easily.
If you love the outdoors, are into ski-ing, jogging, sailing, 'alternative' lifestyles etc., Vancouver's your city.
You've chosen two of the most expensive places in Canada to live, so make sure you find a well-paying job, or better yet start your own business.

Best to look both places over before making a decision. Good Luck.

Old May 11th 2003, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Crowson is an unknown quantity at this point

property costs
climate
people
jobs
entertainment
I spent 3 months in Vancouver 15 yrs ago and truly loved it. Infact
we are now(my partner & I & 2 kids)are trying to get into oz,but I still hang my nose over Vancouver. If we don't get to oz we will with out any dout try Vancouver if possible.
People are VERY FRIENDLY.A beautiful city.It seemed a safe place then , but i don't know what it,s like now. Climate very simillar to uk . House prices expensive then but not sure what they are now. ALL THE VERY BEST TO YOU.
Old May 11th 2003, 9:52 pm
Keelie

The Vancouver of 15 years ago is long gone. The influx of legal and illegal
immigrants from China has changed the whole fabric of the city.
Vancouver is no longer "Little England"... the population is 50percent Chinese and Asian. If you're 'escaping' the U.K. because of these issues, then best to look elsewhere.
It's still a beautiful city, but the price of Real Estate has skyrockeyed. If you can swing it, Vancouver Island is a more affordable place to live.
Last year, when our car was broken into in Vancouver, my husband called the police station, and was met with a voice-recording that asked if he wanted to speak to someone in Mandarin, Cantonese, French, etc.,...quit a change from fifteen years ago eh ?

Old May 13th 2003, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

richardwhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dog Biscuit
Property: try http://www.royallepage.ca/buying/guide.htm and click the survey of house prices - very interesting!

Climate: Vancouver I believe has a similar climate to London, but with drier summers and wetter winters. I think they actually have seasons.

thanks for the link. great website for properties, the best so far i have looked at for candian real estate
Old May 15th 2003, 7:42 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

property costs
climate
people
jobs
entertainment
Why don't you ask the people on the following discussion groups...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/van-immi/ (a mailing list set up for people moving to Vancouver) and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tor-immi/ which is for Toronto.

The topic of which city is better is hotly debated every 10 months or so

Old May 15th 2003, 11:18 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Keelie
The Vancouver of 15 years ago is long gone. The influx of legal and illegal
immigrants from China has changed the whole fabric of the city.
Vancouver is no longer "Little England"... the population is 50percent Chinese and Asian. If you're 'escaping' the U.K. because of these issues, then best to look elsewhere.
It's still a beautiful city, but the price of Real Estate has skyrockeyed. If you can swing it, Vancouver Island is a more affordable place to live.
Last year, when our car was broken into in Vancouver, my husband called the police station, and was met with a voice-recording that asked if he wanted to speak to someone in Mandarin, Cantonese, French, etc.,...quit a change from fifteen years ago eh ?
Couldn't agree more - Vancouver has changed incredibly over the last 10 years and not all of it is for the best, as with any growing city. Its no more than a big town by UK standards, with gobsmacking mountains and lakes but little else. Great if you have loads of money, boring as hell if you don't.

See www.mls.ca for cross canada real estate.