British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver real estate now 9.3 times incomes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-real-estate-now-9-3-times-incomes-651190/)

dboy Jan 27th 2010 7:02 am

Re: Vancouver real estate now 9.3 times incomes

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 8287929)
Oh, stop being rational, dboy.

Brizzle would much rather believe it's all a conspiracy driven by drug lords.. ;)

yep, although it is true that the drug industry here is worth billions and contributed to the local economy at some level, just not sure i'm convinced it's what caused prices to more than double in the past 7 years or so.

Juliew Jan 27th 2010 7:15 am

Originally Posted by brizzle (Post 8285227)
i.e. Homes might be more expensive in London, but wages are a lot higher (av. London individual wage is 40,000 pounds versus av. household income in Van is $58,000). Multiple of this to the average house price is lot higher in Van, hence it is less affordable.

The only thing keeping this all inflated here IMO, is drug/crime money, rich immigrants with money from either dubious or legitimate sources and those who have made money from real estate already. It certainly isn't from vast quantities of high paying jobs.

I wouldn't trust this report very much! If you actually look at the report it states that the average household income of London GLA is 37, 800 pounds or approximately $66,000 Cdn. It also assumes that 270,00 pounds is the average price of a house which is not that accurate.

dboy Jan 27th 2010 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Juliew (Post 8288021)
I wouldn't trust this report very much! If you actually look at the report it states that the average household income of London GLA is 37, 800 pounds or approximately $66,000 Cdn. It also assumes that 270,00 pounds is the average price of a house which is not that accurate.

Another flaw is what types of houses are compared, or is it all homes added together ? Given that houses are a lot smaller and mostly semi detached nor terraced in the UK, it's hardly a fair comparison when looking at a larger, detached home here. To be truly reflective it should be done a per square foot average. No matter how you spin it though, it's bloody pricey here for real estate.

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2010 9:10 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8288242)
Another flaw is what types of houses are compared, or is it all homes added together ? Given that houses are a lot smaller and mostly semi detached nor terraced in the UK, it's hardly a fair comparison when looking at a larger, detached home here. To be truly reflective it should be done a per square foot average. No matter how you spin it though, it's bloody pricey here for real estate.

For me comparisons to London are meaningless anyway - I don't live in London so the prices there don't affect me.

dboy Jan 27th 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8288320)
For me comparisons to London are meaningless anyway - I don't live in London so the prices there don't affect me.

No, but the comments are about the validity of the study, rather than anything to do with London.

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2010 9:45 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8288366)
No, but the comments are about the validity of the study, rather than anything to do with London.

Yeah, we know the study isn't perfect; but an imperfect study doesn't mean that property is actually affordable here after all. It is, as you say, bloody expensive.

JonboyE Jan 27th 2010 9:47 am

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8288242)

A couple of years ago waterfront Yaletown condos were selling at around $1,000 per square foot, and waterfront flats in Wapping UKP1,000 per square foot.

Given the exchange rate at the time I though this quite nice symmetry.

The4BellsLondon Jan 27th 2010 9:53 am

Originally Posted by brizzle (Post 8287833)
Oh lord. Poor you. I can think of at least 3 grow-ops closed down near our old house and there is definitely a drug type house near where we live now - The comings and goings are very suspicious and have a remarkably quick turnaround??

Actaully once we moved in and my big dog tried to eat their yappy thing they have been remarkably pleasant to us!! Lot of flash cars at all ours tho!

dboy Jan 27th 2010 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8288472)
Yeah, we know the study isn't perfect; but an imperfect study doesn't mean that property is actually affordable here after all. It is, as you say, bloody expensive.

Yes quite. I certainly wasn't attempting to suggest that it was affordable, but apples should be compared to apples.

ExKiwilass Jan 27th 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8287955)
have i to go down and see the drug guys and give him a swift kick you know where?

Ha! Thanks.

Don't live there anymore, but being a bored stay-at-home mum, I used to stand in the window sometimes and really obviously write down license plate numbers of the cars. And if I was feeling perky sometimes I'd even wave.

They moved out about 3 months later (they were renters). Dunno why.

jerry brewer Jan 27th 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8280879)
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...163/story.html

Sustainable?

The mal-investment in non-productive assets that counts as growth continues apace. Nice work governments!

Hi
Must admitt personally not suprised, despite a lot of talk here on the forum, the prices never really went down last year,
and I don't think they will after the olympics, they may just still rise more, when more people see how it is here,
i.e. no polar bears roaming the streets and it doesn't snow all the time.

i personally think the job market will have a severe dent in it after the olympics finish, but won't have any efect on house prices.

As many old guys have said to me ...
'buy land it will only get more expensive as the poulation grows...'
likewise ......
' gas is still cheap so the recession can't be over .

on the other note,:thumbdown:
still to expensive for us to move up to a bigger house :thumbdown:
cheers
Jerry

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2010 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jerry brewer (Post 8289041)
Hi
Must admitt personally not suprised, despite a lot of talk here on the forum, the prices never really went down last year,
and I don't think they will after the olympics, they may just still rise more, when more people see how it is here,
i.e. no polar bears roaming the streets and it doesn't snow all the time.

i personally think the job market will have a severe dent in it after the olympics finish, but won't have any efect on house prices.

As many old guys have said to me ...
'buy land it will only get more expensive as the poulation grows...'
likewise ......
' gas is still cheap so the recession can't be over .

on the other note,:thumbdown:
still to expensive for us to move up to a bigger house :thumbdown:
cheers
Jerry

You do realize that's not your house getting more expensive, but your income getting less.

You are right of course, but your post indicates that you don't understand why. If you did, you wouldn't be so smug about the fact that you were.

Lord Vader Jan 27th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8280879)
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...163/story.html

Sustainable?

The mal-investment in non-productive assets that counts as growth continues apace. Nice work governments!

The problem I have with that article is that in the first paragraph it states that "Canada has been judged to have the most unaffordable real estate in the world", then it states in the next paragraph "you know my conviction that Canadians are property fools"

To back up his claim he shows a list of real estate affordability ( or unaffordability) from a few English speaking countries with Vancouver the highest and a few other cities in BC scattered on the list along with the nations largest city and financial capital coming in at 57th. A total of 5 Canadian cities on a list including 22 Australian cities, 19 UK cities, 11 US cities and 5 New Zealand cities. This guy should get an award.

As far as housing prices are concerned, the market determines the price. Houses don't sell if people don't buy them. That is economics 101, supply, demand. Here is a wild hypothesis, those expensive areas in Canada are where most immigrants tend to flock to, that is where the money is coming from.

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2010 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 8289227)
The problem I have with that article is that in the first paragraph it states that "Canada has been judged to have the most unaffordable real estate in the world", then it states in the next paragraph "you know my conviction that Canadians are property fools"

To back up his claim he shows a list of real estate affordability ( or unaffordability) from a few English speaking countries with Vancouver the highest and a few other cities in BC scattered on the list along with the nations largest city and financial capital coming in at 57th. A total of 5 Canadian cities on a list including 22 Australian cities, 19 UK cities, 11 US cities and 5 New Zealand cities. This guy should get an award.

As far as housing prices are concerned, the market determines the price. Houses don't sell if people don't buy them. That is economics 101, supply, demand. Here is a wild hypothesis, those expensive areas in Canada are where most immigrants tend to flock to, that is where the money is coming from.

I expect better from you LV... We know the reason why they are where they are - dboy has listed them quite nicely in an earlier post.

The question is - what happens next? Where are the upwards and downwards pressures coming from? What effect are crazy real estate values having on the economy? What about the deficits affect on the value of the dollar? What is the end game? These are important questions and they worry me - as they should anyone unless they live a self sufficient lifestyle on a farm.

Lord Vader Jan 27th 2010 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8289237)
I expect better from you LV... We know the reason why they are where they are - dboy has listed them quite nicely in an earlier post.

The question is - what happens next? Where are the upwards and downwards pressures coming from? What effect are crazy real estate values having on the economy? What about the deficits affect on the value of the dollar? What is the end game? These are important questions and they worry me - as they should anyone unless they live a self sufficient lifestyle on a farm.

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8287869)
It more to do with:

limited land and building restrictions

Limited inventory

cheap money and over-extended FTB (easier qualifications)

Foreign investment

Hype

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 8289227)

you don't see a correlation between what I said and what dboy said? Interest rates are the same everywhere in the country and will always be the same everywhere in the country. The GVA and GTA are hotspots for new immigrants, many of whom come with lost of cash from their home countries and intend to buy homes when they get here. Victoria and Kelowna have many retirees who have built up funds/equity to be able to purchase homes. Supply/Demand. What does the dollar have to do with real estate in GVA? The USD or the CAD? If the USD tanks, will people still come to live in the GVA from Asia and Europe? if the CAD tanks, would that not make it cheaper for people from Asia and Europe? If the USD was going to tank, wouldn't it already be well on it's way? All I am saying is that the market will react to the demand for housing. If their is less demand the housing prices will fall, increased demand and they will continue to rise. Welcome to suburbia Vancouver.