Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver for mid-twenties?

Vancouver for mid-twenties?

Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver for mid-twenties?

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Craigslist had a date section!!!!

Christ it sounds like the UK, especially where I am from! Maybe it's easier for women?!
Haha I am a woman! And apparently part of the problem is that the women outnumber the guys (6-1 I've heard, but that could be nonsense). I wouldn't worry too much, if I had put the same amount of effort in as my roommate it's entirely possible that I would be fretting over spousal sponsorship right now

And there's also the luck element, a girl I work with met her now Canadian husband at a martial arts class she attended within the first month of arriving here.

And yes, Craiglist has a date section...it's horrific, never go there!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Vancouver is that it's so transient, it's expensive to go out every night unless you're making a 6 figure salary, and the city's gathering spaces tend to revolve around introverted activities - gazing at sunsets, jogging around the seawall, yoga, etc.

In my experience, the secret is to immerse yourself in Vancouver's social media communities. If you like photography, look for Vancouver Instagram communities and join them on organized walking tours. Volunteer to do event photography for a blog like VancouverIsAwesome.com or VanCityBuzz.com. If you like beer, join CAMRA Vancouver and pay attention to Twitter #YVRBeerTweetup, and then go to the monthly meets: http://yvrbeertweetup.com/... or sit at the bar at Parallel 49 or 33 Acres (new breweries in the city), and chat with the regulars (who are mostly all 20-30 somethings). If you're into the arts, volunteer at festivals (the PuSh Festival, the Vancouver Folk Festival, the Vancouver In't Film Festival, etc.) - you'll meet lots of people.

Unlike most cities, Vancouver's public socializing revolves around the outdoors - joining friends to go hiking in the woods, to go skiing in the mountains, bike rides to the beach, etc. - it doesn't revolve around clubbing and drinking, unless of course, you're into ice hockey. (Vancouver is obsessed with the Vancouver Canucks. People in Vancouver go to pubs and bars to watch the Canucks. If you're not interested, you're in the small minority). However, if you have a niche hobby or interest (craft beer, indie rock music, photography) - pursue those hobbies and network with fellow locals in social media, and you'll find you have unlocked a welcoming community of Vancouverites... people who are likely from elsewhere in Canada and around the world. The secret, I believe, is in those niche communities.

And god forbid... don't move to some isolated suburb or posh community that looks good on paper. If you're seeking to socialize, move to a social community. Right now, Gastown, Strathcona, Commercial Drive, and Mount Pleasant/Riley Park appear to be the most social/interesting for 20 somethings.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 21st 2014 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
The secret, I believe, is in those niche communities.
I have to agree with this. My roommate is a DJ, and after attending a few open deck nights he has managed to break into a sizeable community of friendly people.

When I first arrived, I attended a few meet up groups (meetup.com), one themed around nature and conservation. The group has kind of disbanded now, but I'm still in close contact with a few friends I made there.

So yes, if you have something like this you can get into, get involved.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz

I have to agree with this. My roommate is a DJ, and after attending a few open deck nights he has managed to break into a sizeable community of friendly people.

When I first arrived, I attended a few meet up groups (meetup.com), one themed around nature and conservation. The group has kind of disbanded now, but I'm still in close contact with a few friends I made there.

Thanks! Yes, it's all about the niche communities (on social media or not). Social media simply makes it easier to break into those communities.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

I still refuse to use Twitter, Facebook or buy an Apple product myself !
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by floatsy
I still refuse to use Twitter, Facebook or buy an Apple product myself !
Whatever floats your boat!

(Sorry, I couldn't help it!)
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Whatever floats your boat!

(Sorry, I couldn't help it!)
Had to be done
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:24 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz

I've used meetup.com before in the UK but the groups tended to be on the be geeky side and for people that did not appear to be as outgoing as myself.

I'm a beginner snowboarder so I'm doing that a lot at the moment as I live near Milton Keynes, so that's great for Vancouver in the winter but probably not for the rest of the year unless they have a dry slope somewhere.

I should be ok when I head I'm usually into meet ups and round a few locals at the cambie bar in gastown
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:25 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

vancouver is full of geeks. btw, geeks here are cool.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:29 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
vancouver is full of geeks. btw, geeks here are cool.
Oh don't get me wrong, I like geekiness, many of my friends could be considered that - it's the socially inept - the ones where you try and have a conversation with and they just don't how to respond - about 90% of the men in Northampton!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:31 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

oh boy, you're in for a treat with Vancouver men! ha ha
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:40 pm
Bex in the city

oh boy, you're in for a treat with Vancouver men! ha ha
Can't wait
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:50 pm

yeah. My OH is a local but I met him in France. They seem to be easier to meet out of their natural habitat. Otherwise they just like to hang out with species they know (highschool friends etc), kind of like meer cats or dolphins.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Can't wait
you might be okay if you're outgoing. Van men are pretty chill.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:53 pm
Bex in the city

yeah. My OH is a local but I met him in France. They seem to be easier to meet out of their natural habitat. Otherwise they just like to hang out with species they know (highschool friends etc), kind of like meer cats or dolphins.
Well as someone said before, there is always POF as a last resort! Haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.