Reload this Page >

vancouver islan

vancouver islan

Old May 28th 2003, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

vanessa g is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking vancouver islan

Hi everyone
Can anyone help please, I need to subscribe to a newspaper on Vancouver Island,does anyone know the name of the main paper? Or how I would go about getting it?

Also does anyone have any info good or bac about living on Vancouver Island?

Thank you
Old May 28th 2003, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to the Victoria Times Colonist

http://www.canada.com/victoria/timescolonist/

I have never been to Vancouver Island but I know its very pretty there. Don't know what the job situation would be but perhaps you can check the paper.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 6:27 am
Just Joined

juliak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: vancouver islan

Hi
I am Brit female 33 who moved over to Victoria BC 18 months ago and married my Canadian husband who I met in UK in 2000. We are setting the ball in motion to move back to UK as the economy here is going down the toilet! Victoria is a beautiful place but the unemployment here is horrendous! There have been major government cuts and the amount of beggers on the streets here is awful. This is not a good time to move to Vancouver Island. I've heard that Alberta is the best place to move to - plenty of jobs, cheap property etc.

Feel free to ask me anything else about life here :-)

Julia
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

vanessa g is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by juliak
Hi
I am Brit female 33 who moved over to Victoria BC 18 months ago and married my Canadian husband who I met in UK in 2000. We are setting the ball in motion to move back to UK as the economy here is going down the toilet! Victoria is a beautiful place but the unemployment here is horrendous! There have been major government cuts and the amount of beggers on the streets here is awful. This is not a good time to move to Vancouver Island. I've heard that Alberta is the best place to move to - plenty of jobs, cheap property etc.

Julia

Hi Julia

Thanks for info.....can't believe anyone would want to move back to the U.K. most people I know want to get out....this country is falling apart! Full of bogus asylum seekers, rip off prices, high taxes, NHS on its knees, underfunding in schools, public morale is so low, there is going to be so much trouble in this country in the not so distant future, people have had enough.

Anyway, good luck and thanks again for info, will investigate Alberta.

Vanessa
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future
Default Van Isle

Hi,

We moved here in 2001 (myself, wife and two kids) and have just come back from a trip to the UK (spent a month visiting friends and family) - Vancouver Island does have it's plus points but it is isolated and small - takes a bit of adjusting to.

The paper I read is the Times Colonist

http://www.canada.com/victoria/timescolonist/

If you want anymore info. drop me a line.

Cheers - Steve
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 9:00 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

"Also does anyone have any info good or bac about living on Vancouver Island?"
i've spent 2 yrs in victoria. i disagree with negative posts about van island. that is to say i don't consider it isolated at all. you could say britain is isolated because it's an island. there are 3 ferry companies that service victoria/van island to seattle/vancouver and other places, along with the usual air services.
there are homeless people but not in uk/euro quantities. last week in galway & dublin i couldn't believe the number of beggars i came across. unemployment is no more prevalent to me than anywhere else but that may depend on occupation eg are you a thatched-roofer? then work may scarce. i mean some 'problems' may be more obvious to some folk than others.
victoria has all you need. climate is similar to sth england. i find people are noticeably friendly. there are loads of schools, tertiary institutes and 2 major hospitals-one in city is brand new.
some of the best mountain bike trails on the planet are 16km from downtown.
i consider victoria to be a very good all round locale.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point

Coming from a Kiwi, where New Zealand is often regarded by its people as "God's Own Country", you have done Vancouver island some serious service with your accolades!

Yet, travelling-kiwi, you are not alone. We, too, fell in love with Vancouver Island and will be there soon.

My wife and I have travelled the world extensively. We have toured the USA, explored England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. We have spent months in France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Switzerland. We have enjoyed Spain and Portugal. We've spent a good deal of time in Australia and a life time in Africa. Yet, for me, the most unforgettable place on this earth has been Vancouver Island.

Every country and city on earth has its pros and cons. Most of one's perceptions, however, are moulded by ones experiences and job situations. If you are working in a lousy job situation in Victoria, then Victoria will appear lousy to you.

Nothing, however, can take away the fact that Vancouver Island is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The people are friendly and for good reason.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

vancouverisland is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Yes, I totally agree with Goose
Old Jul 13th 2003, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

stodge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by juliak
Hi

Julia
Alberta? You've been misled. I think all provinces are pretty much in the same state right now.