Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver cost of living....whats it like?

Vancouver cost of living....whats it like?

Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vancouver cost of living....whats it like?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
My garage door is on the side. It's big though; I cleaned it out the other day and found that the previous owner had left a bag of birdseed in one of the cupboards. Needless to say I wasn't the first to make this discovery as it contained a number of mice both living and dead. The live ones scampered off into various mouse sized hiding places that you get in garages. Even though I only saw one or two do this, I've caught four of the cute but dirty little buggers in traps since. One thing I've learned from this is that mice really do like cheese.
You're giving cheese to mice !! I bet your one of those people that lights cigars with money and baths in Champagne
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
You're giving cheese to mice !! I bet your one of those people that lights cigars with money and baths in Champagne
As it's their last meal on this mortal coil I feel it's only fair. Still, that only goes so far, so I set the traps with Canadian cheddar.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:50 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

My garage door is on the side. It's big though; I cleaned it out the other day and found that the previous owner had left a bag of birdseed in one of the cupboards. Needless to say I wasn't the first to make this discovery as it contained a number of mice both living and dead. The live ones scampered off into various mouse sized hiding places that you get in garages. Even though I only saw one or two do this, I've caught four of the cute but dirty little buggers in traps since. One thing I've learned from this is that mice really do like cheese.
Given the price of cheese in Canada, that says a lot about your income and lifestyle. Why it's the equivalent of using Foie Gras to catch rodents. Or having the staff do the same.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:50 pm
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Thanks for all the posts...first of all there was no reason why I put Toronto(capped) and Vancouver (uncapped)....typo on my part.

All the info is great and I am open to townhouses though I am being put off moving to Canada somewhat just now.......maybe now is not the right time financially to us.

I cant believe some of the prices I am hearing (its not that I don't believe you guys I just can't imagine there is actually a place more expensive that good old Blighty). I agree the exchange rate is making this sound worse.

Apart from house prices, the extra long commutes are a bit of a downer on things(looks like I would need to stay over the 30km mark), car insurance (I thought it was bad when I was 18 in the uk and the car insurance was more than the actually bloody car), annual leave entitlement (10 days average WTF).

When I originally thought of Canada I just thought it would be cheaper than the UK, I wasn't expecting to stay Downtown but I thought a 30km radius would be far enough outside of Toronto or Vancouver downtown to buy an average fairly big family house (more for your money than the uk)

The only plus seems to be that the summer is better than the UK which to be honest is not that hard to beat.

Is there any plus points out there? Any?

Rose tinted glasses are off and I am wonder if the grass actually would be greener for us just now........maybe one day!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

iF money/living standard was the main pull for you to come to Canada then maybe you're right to stay in the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:05 pm
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
iF money/living standard was the main pull for you to come to Canada then maybe you're right to stay in the UK.
Thanks Kiwilass.........what are the main pulls for Canada?

I live in Scotland outskirts of Edinburgh (5 miles from city) have the country side on my door step or not far to travel.......the weather is rubbish thats a given, but Canada also sounds harsh weather....worse probably barr the summers
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyboy3
Thanks Kiwilass.........what are the main pulls for Canada?

I live in Scotland outskirts of Edinburgh (5 miles from city) have the country side on my door step or not far to travel.......the weather is rubbish thats a given, but Canada also sounds harsh weather....worse probably barr the summers
The rest of Canada is a frozen hellish wasteland, but lower mainland BC isn't harsh, it's temperate. Summers in Vancouver are great and the winters are probably not far off what you get in Edinburgh (at least from what I remember when I lived there a long time ago).
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:14 pm
Banned

The rest of Canada is a frozen hellish wasteland, but lower mainland BC isn't harsh, it's temperate. Summers in Vancouver are great and the winters are probably not far off what you get in Edinburgh (at least from what I remember when I lived there a long time ago).
Thanks Alan.....yeah my wife works with a Canadian who said that the winters in Vancouver are not all that bad, not worse really than Scotland.

So if you don't mind me asking why did you move? Family? Job? Better lifestyle? etc...........and would you do it again now?

I never thought I would utter these words but "Blighty doesn't sound that bad after all"
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:16 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

The rest of Canada is a frozen hellish wasteland
I take exception.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:23 pm

Thanks Alan.....yeah my wife works with a Canadian who said that the winters in Vancouver are not all that bad, not worse really than Scotland.

So if you don't mind me asking why did you move? Family? Job? Better lifestyle? etc...........and would you do it again now?

I never thought I would utter these words but "Blighty doesn't sound that bad after all"
I'd visited Vancouver a number of times and thought it would be a nice place to live. And it is.

Would I do it again? I managed to keep my UK job when I came here but I was prepared to come without it. Knowing what I know now, I would not be prepared to move here without a decent income lined up.

Originally Posted by Tangram
I take exception.
No offence meant there fella. I'm sure your part of Canada is balmy for two weeks in August.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any plus points out there? Any?
For us it was wanting a bit of adventure, to live in beautiful surroundings, a society where we could live in peace, and to be 6,000 miles away from the in laws.

Not necessarily in that order though.

We had a reasonable comfortable lifestyle in the UK and didn't move to be better off. However, we were fortunate in our timing. Then the housing here was considerably cheaper than SE England in 1999.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Adventures are great as long as you can go home afterwards.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:32 pm
Banned

I'd visited Vancouver a number of times and thought it would be a nice place to live. And it is.

Would I do it again? I managed to keep my UK job when I came here but I was prepared to come without it. Knowing what I know now, I would not be prepared to move here without a decent income lined up.

No offence meant there fella. I'm sure your part of Canada is balmy for two weeks in August.
Thanks alan......yeah I am thinking I really need to secure a job with a decent wage from the UK before we take the leap.

Vancouver looks great but wouldn't be great without the $$$$$behind you
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
For us it was wanting a bit of adventure, to live in beautiful surroundings, a society where we could live in peace, and to be 6,000 miles away from the in laws.

Not necessarily in that order though.

We had a reasonable comfortable lifestyle in the UK and didn't move to be better off. However, we were fortunate in our timing. Then the housing here was considerably cheaper than SE England in 1999.
Couldn't agree with you more on the in-laws bit hahaha

It is also about adventure for us, a new place to live, new surroundings etc but at the end of the day (apart from it getting dark) you need the $$$ to live and enjoy that adventure. An hour plus communte and 10 days annual leave is not floating my boat (maybe I am having a bad researching week!)
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

10 days. Joking aside we tend to get good summers ( taking into account mozzies )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.