Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver cheap but nice eats

Wikiposts

Vancouver cheap but nice eats

Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:11 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver cheap but nice eats

Originally Posted by Lychee
No, you don't have to do pizza express for that price range. For £8-12 you can very well in Vancouver. One of my favourite restaurants within that budget range (for lunch):

http://theflyingpigvan.com/

I asked for a dollar amount because some of the results you were getting were bottom rung cheap (which isn't necessary unless you're on a serious budget)
Says a lot when you have to go for lunch for it to be cheap

Fancy that Wild Seafood Pappardelle though
Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here although one has to take into account who's doing the reviews.

http://blog.letsgofordinner.com/2010...-and-tweeters/
Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Says a lot when you have to go for lunch for it to be cheap

Fancy that Wild Seafood Pappardelle though
It doesn't say a lot, it just says that this particular restaurant doesn't fit their budget for dinner, but it does for lunch. Their pastas are fabulous.

The other restaurants I recommended previously do suit their budget for both dinner and lunch.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:05 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I know its unbelievable but they flock to the naffing places.
it's safe, consistent and unthreatening.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:49 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It’s symbolic of their cultural makeup. They seem to revel in mediocrity. Like Earls or the Cactus Club. The food is pretty ordinary; it’s over priced and has the atmosphere of a work canteen so they dress their staff up like strippers obviously to hide the glaring banality of the places. And stay away from Montana's. I had the misfortune of having to go there once, I still can't quite come to terms with the trauma.
I have never eaten at Montana's, but I have in Earls, Cactus Club, The Keg and so on. OK food, a bit overpriced, fills a whole but I won't cry if I don't eat there again.

However, defining dining in Vancouver by chain restuarants is like defining dining in London by Aberdeen Steak Houses.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
However, defining dining in Vancouver by chain restuarants is like defining dining in London by Aberdeen Steak Houses.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

I have never eaten at Montana's, but I have in Earls, Cactus Club, The Keg and so on. OK food, a bit overpriced, fills a whole but I won't cry if I don't eat there again.

Nicely put.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:53 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't, I'm just saying there's a a lot of them and they seem to be packed most of the time. As I mentioned before, there are some very good Asian places and a few decent higher end ones, the rest, especially 'Canadian cuisine' are mediocre at best but tipping the scale towards pretty shit. The defining characteristic is that nobody seems to know or care how shit they are.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:54 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't, I'm just saying there's a a lot of them and they seem to be packed most of the time. As I mentioned before, there are some very good Asian places and a few decent higher end ones, the rest, especially 'Canadian cuisine' are mediocre at best but tipping the scale towards pretty shit. The defining characteristic is that nobody seems to know or care how shit they are.
imo, the Cactus et al crowd aren't there for the food, they're there because it's a confirmation they can afford to go there and be seen to go there. If that makes any sense. It's a status thing (imo).

Agree the food is average.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:27 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Also...many if not most of the sushi places are nothing special, as they will be run by Chinese entrepreneurs that have little appreciation for the food and ingredients but lots of appreciation for the $$. Not saying that you have to be Japanese to do sushi, just as you don't need to be Greek to do greek food, but it helps.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Shard
Also...many if not most of the sushi places are nothing special, as they will be run by Chinese entrepreneurs that have little appreciation for the food and ingredients but lots of appreciation for the $$. Not saying that you have to be Japanese to do sushi, just as you don't need to be Greek to do greek food, but it helps.
You are right there are some dreadful places, usually the all-you-can-eat ones that completely invert the aesthetic of Japanese cuisine.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:41 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Many are run by Koreans. Quite how Koreans became good at Japanese food is something probably best left for another thread.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:46 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Many are run by Koreans. Quite how Koreans became good at Japanese food is something probably best left for another thread.
Oppa Gangnam Style...
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:29 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
It doesn't say a lot, it just says that this particular restaurant doesn't fit their budget for dinner, but it does for lunch. Their pastas are fabulous.

The other restaurants I recommended previously do suit their budget for both dinner and lunch.
Maybe just me then but when we talk about going for food its for dinner not lunch.

Too many chains here like other have said. Cant get over the Starbucks since ive come back. Its staggering.

Last edited by Londonuck; Nov 22nd 2012 at 2:31 am.