Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK PASSPORT HELP

UK PASSPORT HELP

Old Nov 18th 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK PASSPORT HELP

would my husband be able to renew our daughters passport as he is going back to the uk for a few days, or does she have to be with him? she is 8

thanks
Old Nov 18th 2012, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: UK PASSPORT HELP

I think technically your daugther should be resident in the UK to renew her passport there; it should be done via Washington USA for Canadian residents.

if you choose to do it in the UK the main problem may be getting the new passport delivered to you as this can take up to 2 weeks (possibly longer at some times of the year) and you will need to provide an address for the passport to be sent to.

I'm not sure what the consequences might be if the UK passport authority found out that you'd renewed a passport in the UK when you are actually living in Canada.

Good luck, whichever way you go.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yandros
I think technically your daugther should be resident in the UK to renew her passport there; it should be done via Washington USA for Canadian residents.

if you choose to do it in the UK the main problem may be getting the new passport delivered to you as this can take up to 2 weeks (possibly longer at some times of the year) and you will need to provide an address for the passport to be sent to.

I'm not sure what the consequences might be if the UK passport authority found out that you'd renewed a passport in the UK when you are actually living in Canada.

Good luck, whichever way you go.
thanks wasnt sure if he could or not as the website says you can renew your passport by making an appointment and visiting the office to get it as urgent if in the country for a visit, but was not sure if she had to be there. Will go Washington route just in case

thanks again
Old Nov 19th 2012, 12:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiganfem
would my husband be able to renew our daughters passport as he is going back to the uk for a few days, or does she have to be with him? she is 8

thanks
Not sure, might want to check the Home Office website. But you can get a same day passport quite easily if you pay extra.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:38 am
Just Joined

Haleian is on a distinguished road

You can call the Passport Office in the UK and arrange an appointment for an emergency passport application, you can be in front of an agent within a few days and the document can be provided within half a day. It costs 128 GBP for a 4hour turnaround but its more expensive going down the Canada route and waiting 6 weeks. You don't really get any questions as to why you think it's an emergency, just tell them you need it quickly.

Your daughter doesn't need to be present when applying for her passport, as you will be completing all of the application documents for her but you do need to fill in the forms before you attend your local passport office, otherwise they growl at you.

Be prepared to be sat with the great unwashed for an hour and hopefully your passport office will have somewhere to wander while the document is being printed, as you don't really have a choice but to wait the full 4 hours. Security will turn you away if you leave the office and chance coming back too early.

Cheers,

Paul
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said, if you make and appointment and turn up in person, you can get it in the UK.

Before I came to Canada, one of my friends who couldn't go without a passport because of work would get me to ring up and make an appointment for him when his passport was about to expire.

He would fly in for a long weekend and visit his parents at the same time.

If you get your husband to do it without your daughter being present, make sure that the photos are in order as sometimes workers in Canada get it wrong.

When ringing up for the appointment just answer their questions honestly and you should not have any problems.