Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver/Calgary relocation

Vancouver/Calgary relocation

Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:30 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver/Calgary relocation

If you willing to make a big commute then you can buy a place out on the sunshine coast for about 300,000
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you I'm sure you must be excited.
Yeah but 1 mill whoah! Oh thanks for the suite explanation, that makes sense, I had never heard of that before and Google wasn't that helpful too for once :O

Cheerio.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
If you willing to make a big commute then you can buy a place out on the sunshine coast for about 300,000
I'll google it. I wouldn't mind buying but it probably doesn't make sense at the beginning..pros for buying is just that sense of "oh home!" but the negative is it might take a little longer for me to figure out the home concept, especially after reading here. But definitely hope to buy eventually.

The rain in Vancouver is probably the biggest turn off about it, personally speaking.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:37 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
I'll google it. I wouldn't mind buying but it probably doesn't make sense at the beginning..pros for buying is just that sense of "oh home!" but the negative is it might take a little longer for me to figure out the home concept, especially after reading here. But definitely hope to buy eventually.

The rain in Vancouver is probably the biggest turn off about it, personally speaking.
The rain is what makes it so lush, plus even when it rains when you look out and see Grouse Mountain etc it makes it a lot better than the view I have currently of the manchester skyline.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:39 pm

Good for you I'm sure you must be excited.
Yeah but 1 mill whoah! Oh thanks for the suite explanation, that makes sense, I had never heard of that before and Google wasn't that helpful too for once :O

Cheerio.
Yes pretty stoked but just awaiting the LMO to put eberything into place now. To be honest I had never heard of the whole suite thing until my sister moved to Vancouver.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

The rain is what makes it so lush, plus even when it rains when you look out and see Grouse Mountain etc it makes it a lot better than the view I have currently of the manchester skyline.
Yeah I will have to see if it affects me too much or not.

Checking out places on Craigslist now, thanks for the referrals foreigngirl & MikeyPM!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes pretty stoked but just awaiting the LMO to put eberything into place now.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Well you look out and see the grey clouds that engulf Grouse, you know it is there, you just cannot see it.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Calgary feedback also welcome!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you are keen to be downtown look at the area known as the West End. It is between Coal Harbour and English Bay. The rental stock is more older units - less steel and glass - but the rents are a bit cheaper. It is still walking distance to just about anywhere.

Definitely rent at first. It takes about a year to get to know Vancouver and the suburbs, and the type of housing available and what suits.

The Sunshine Coast is lovely, and the ferry ride to and from Horseshoe Bay is stunning. However, the commute to downtown is brutal if you have to do it every day. If you can work from home and visit the office once a week or so it can be ideal.

Rain? It bothers some people, but not me. It can persist down in November and December. This is when the bulk of Vancouver`s rain falls. We try and take a break somewhere warm and dry in December. Spring is not that different to the UK. We are now approaching summer when we can expect three months of dry, warm, sunny weather. Where you live can also make a big difference to your rain experience. Near to the mountains is significantly wetter than the south of the region.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks, Jonboy!

I don't want downtown per se, but for work purposes at the beginning, I prefer an easier commute. The rest of your post, very helpful, as usual. I am quite apprehensive about liking it but I'll never know until I try it. Cheers for the leg up.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary feedback also welcome!
I don't think you will like Calgary
Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Commercial Drive and Mount Pleasant/Main Street are areas outside of downtown (but quick easy commutes) which will be cheaper than downtown, but have a sense of community with shops, restaurants, a vibrancy to the street, etc. South Cambie as well.

Downtown Vancouver is also good, but rents typically are the most expensive, especially in Yaletown and Coal Harbour. Everything else is also expensive (groceries) but you don't have to commute. The West End is typically better value for money.

I've rented in Yaletown ($$$$$), South Cambie ($$$), and now Commercial Drive ($$) and it's astounding how much cheaper living only a 20 minute bike ride from downtown can make. The community is certainly more eccentric, but it's older and more established. I'm glad I made the move two years ago.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I rent in Fairview (a block from Cambie and Broadway) and love it - so close to downtown, transit, seawall, stores, and yet it's still quiet and leafy. I hop on the Canada Line to get to work in the centre of downtown and get off 2 stops later - door to desk in 15 mins. I do NOT miss the Huddersfield - Leeds commute at all!

My OH lives just off Commercial Drive a few blocks from Broadway, that's a really convenient area too, and a bit cheaper - East Van is mostly cheaper than the west side. Main St. would be another good, affordable choice. Check out Padmapper and Craiglist to get a feel for the rents for basement suites, apartments, rooms etc. in the different areas.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Lychee and adele!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.