Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Anybody?

Vancouver Anybody?

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:21 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver Anybody?

Despite several searches, I have been unable to find any down to earth views about life in Vancouver for a British expat. All I read is about the various suburbs, which mean bugger-all to a complete newbie. The fact is that, after 10 years in Saudi/UAE, an opportunity has arisen which I would like to explore further. So how cold and wet does it get? How much for a 3-bed town house? Would a pre-tax salary of USD 120,000 be enough? What is the normal rate of taxation? The usual stuff...any observations would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Vancouver Anybody?

Originally Posted by lionheart
Despite several searches, I have been unable to find any down to earth views about life in Vancouver for a British expat. All I read is about the various suburbs, which mean bugger-all to a complete newbie. The fact is that, after 10 years in Saudi/UAE, an opportunity has arisen which I would like to explore further. So how cold and wet does it get? How much for a 3-bed town house? Would a pre-tax salary of USD 120,000 be enough? What is the normal rate of taxation? The usual stuff...any observations would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Thanks for all your help guys...people over here are evidently right about Canadian hospitality.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Might one point out that you posted your original post during the night and then, 6 hours or so later you got sniffy 'cos no-one replied. In vancouver as I type this it's 6:23am. Who do you think is going to be answering your post, insomniacs?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Might one point out that you posted your original post during the night and then, 6 hours or so later you got sniffy 'cos no-one replied. In vancouver as I type this it's 6:23am. Who do you think is going to be answering your post, insomniacs?
You pipped me to the post!! I was just going to say that its not even 7am yet and a holiday weekend.

If the poster had waited he may have had a responce now I doubt it!!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I don't think as many people are moving to Vancouver as used to, especially with recent property prices soaring and those that do are most likely out in the suburbs which is the case with most of the poepl moving to Toronto or Calgary etc. it is mostly about suburbia.
I've only been to Vancouver once, but I am going there again in a week or so with work but I really liked it as a city. I grew up next to the sea in England so I like places that are on water, the city is small but has a lot of distinct areas and neighbourhoods.
The hardset thing about mving there is finding somewhere to live as I understand it. They just did an affordability survey in Canada and housing is at it's most expensive since the late 80's boom. For example to live in Toronto and buy a standard detached two storey house would take up about 48% of your income, in Vancouver it was more like 76%. It's going to come down at some point, maybe, they are on a building boom as far as condos go, cranes everywhere.
I couldn't give you much advice on areas to live in Vancouver as I've only visited, apart from that you want to avoid the East end where Vancouver gets it's bad rep for drugs etc. and I know that West Vancouver over the Lion's Gate Bridge is a farily upscale expensive place.
It rains much more than it snows, unlike the majority of Canada. I guess it would be like living in Manchester but with much better views. When I was there it rained everyday. I will see what it is like at the beginning of April. However after getting on 200cm of snow this winter in toronto and endless shovelling I wonder how much worse rain would be, but then growing up in Northern England rain isn't exactly an unfamiliar thing.
You aren't going to get broiled to death in 35 degree plus humidity temperatures and you won't freeze in winter in -30 wind chills.
A pre tax income of 120K is pretty good and you would need it given Vancouvers cost of living. Is that for just one person, or to support a family? For one person I think you would be doing pretty well. For two people you could do pretty good too if you were lucky to find somewhere affordable to live. If you were adding kids etc. then you would be starting to have to make sacrafices to get by I think. We live downtown in Toronto and there are just two of us with no kids and household income just over 100K and we have managed to buy a fairly ordinary house in a lower cost neighbourhood and we aren't struggling much but we don't have a car or anything.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:17 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by High numbers
You pipped me to the post!! I was just going to say that its not even 7am yet and a holiday weekend.

If the poster had waited he may have had a responce now I doubt it!!
Well at least he got an answer from someone in Ontario - always amazes me how people who don't live in an area come up with so much qualified (?) info. But, with an attitude like that I hope he doesn't come here.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help guys...people over here are evidently right about Canadian hospitality.
Obviously you've never heard of time zones.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:34 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Well - was going to reply - but all seems to be answere now!

I can tell you more when i go in May !
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by startwin
Well at least he got an answer from someone in Ontario - always amazes me how people who don't live in an area come up with so much qualified (?) info. But, with an attitude like that I hope he doesn't come here.
Thanks for the helpful comments, Wizzard, very much appreciated...as for the attitude, we are all like that in Dubai...
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

...as for the attitude, we are all like that in Dubai...
Then perhaps you should stay there.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:40 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In vancouver as I type this it's 6:23am.

Hmmm.... and the posting timing is 6:54 am.

Scotty!!??

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:43 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the helpful comments, Wizzard, very much appreciated...as for the attitude, we are all like that in Dubai...
We are off for a recce in May - so should get some ideas - if you scan the threads there are quite a few relating to Vancouver and environs.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Then perhaps you should stay there.
Calgary was the place I was specifically warned about by the oil industry guys over here so I will take your comments with a pinch of salt...its my wife and daughter who really want to move. Who am I to disagree? Family should come first I believe.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary was the place I was specifically warned about by the oil industry guys over here so I will take your comments with a pinch of salt...its my wife and daughter who really want to move. Who am I to disagree? Family should come first I believe.
The Uk is full of people with your attitude, perhaps you would feel at home there.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:47 pm
half a century

Calm down peeps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.