Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:05 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: vancouver advise.for people wanting to move here

Originally Posted by love_it_here
oh for god's sake just let it lie. You obviously take great delight in taking the moral high ground and I am sure you have not said or done anything your entire life that could be construed as politicaly incorrect. Her comments are ill-advised but I suspect they are not said with any malice. It is human culture that people want to live with others that they can culturally identify with - there wouldn't be a bloody Chinatown otherwise and what are you doing hanging out on a web site for British expats!!! I think that this was all she was saying. She believed that she would be going to a city which was truly multi-cultral i.e. a mix of all cultures but found herself - she believed in the minority.

I don't believe that she hates or even dislikes chinese I just think she probably felt overwhelmed. Anyway now that we have established that all you folks who jumped down her throat are "better people" perhaps we can move on?
Yes, why don't you just follow your own advice and "just let it lie"?

I wonder what qualifies you to suggest who should post to this forum? Do you own this website or what? You seem to think that for someone to post here, they need to be a Johnny come lately from Britain. I know more than a little about the topic - Canada. I've corrected so many factual errors and misconceptions about this country over the months, that it is beyond count. That is why I started posting here in the first place, I couldn't believe some of the inaccuracies that I was reading.

Yes, Britons are a minority in Canada - surprise, surprise.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 28th 2004 at 4:37 am.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Yes, why don't you just follow your own advice and "just let it lie"? I wonder what qualifies you to suggest who should post to this forum? Do you own this website or what? You seem to think that for someone to post here, they need to be a Johnny come lately from Britain. I know more than a little about the topic - Canada. I've corrected so many factual errors and misconceptions about this country over the months, that it is beyond count. That is why I started posting here in the first place, I couldn't believe some of the inaccuracies that I was reading.

Yes, Britons are a minority in Canada - surprise, surprise.
I felt compelled to say something because you were all ganging up on her. I thought the idea of this web site is to provide support, share experiences and offer helpful advice to people from Britain who are either thinking about moving to Canada, going through the process or already here. I didn't realize it was for half a dozen people to gang up on one person, decide that she is a racist (even though you do not know her) and pump up your chest with self righteousnesses. Your arrogance is staggering and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:00 am
Velouria

I felt compelled to say something because you were all ganging up on her. I thought the idea of this web site is to provide support, share experiences and offer helpful advice to people from Britain who are either thinking about moving to Canada, going through the process or already here. I didn't realize it was for half a dozen people to gang up on one person, decide that she is a racist (even though you do not know her) and pump up your chest with self righteousnesses. Your arrogance is staggering and you should be ashamed of yourself.
i dont think anyone is being self-righteous here. when i first read the post, i was also taken aback by the comments. yes, people do come here for helpful advice and support, but when you make statements such as:

but really there are too many chinese over here, more than one you exspect, you feel like you are the foreigner which i know i am but believe after a while it does get you down
what do you expect people to say? sure we do not know her, but as far as first impressions go - zilch in my book.

i find the naiveté of some people emigrating quite fascinating really. do they expect their destination country to be exactly like the country they left behind? are they really that insular and naive?

and what about the chinese posters on here? i would have personally taken offense to that if i was of chinese descent. jesus, i take offence as a canadian! there is nothing wrong with a non-white majority group anywhere in the world. what's wrong is perhaps those white people who have gotten used to being the majority for the longest time.

and if being a foreigner gets you down - then maybe the best choice was not to emigrate at all? its not bloody rocket science. leave the xenophobia back in britain, thank you very much

if you put your thoughts down, especially ones like those, on a public forum, then you open yourself up to all kinds of responses. people have a right to respond. just like they will to this post!

<puts soap box away>

Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:01 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I didn't realize it was for half a dozen people to gang up on one person, decide that she is a racist (even though you do not know her) and pump up your chest with self righteousnesses. Your arrogance is staggering and you should be ashamed of yourself.
I don't know her, so I can only judge her by what she said on this thread, and based on that, in the literal sense of the word, her statement was racist. I'm not known to follow the politically correct line myself, so I wasn't condemning her. Rather, I wanted her to know how her comments would be construed - right here and now - by many (if not the majority) of Canadians. So in that sense, those who criticized her statement on this thread were really doing her a favor because it's better to understand Canadian attitudes here and now, rather than in the real world where her words could do damage to her reputation. She need not worry what others think of her here in cyberspace.

I'm sorry, but this time, I don't think my statement was 'arrogant'. Candid or frank yes, arrogant not really. I would say however, that your statement to me was the height of arrogance, and it is you who perhaps ought to be ashamed. After all, who are you to tell a Canadian what to say regarding a matter involving his own country?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 28th 2004 at 5:14 am.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:03 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Hmm... when I moved to England I really didn't expect people to be like the Queen, Princess Di, or Benny Hill...
Out of curiosity, what were your expectations? You stepped off the plane in the UK with a single preconception of what the country would be like?

I don't really see your point.
Canada shows a "white" face to the world nothing more than that ... that's my interpretation for what its worth.

This is really a pointless, over debated topic that really doesn't have an answer ... similar to any thread that compares life in Alberta with life in Ontario ... it's all down to personal experience, prejudices and expectations.

Maybe we can get back to talking about issues regarding Canadian lifestyle?

Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:05 am
Velouria

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Canada shows a "white" face to the world nothing more than that ... that's my interpretation for what its worth.
where exactly does canada show this white face? im curious....

Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:06 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Velouria
jesus, i take offence as a canadian!
I take offence at blasphemy ... you probably don't see the world the same way as I do ... if you did, you might be more sensitive in your use of language ... why be so sensitive about issues that are somebody else's to deal with?

Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:14 am
Velouria

I take offence at blasphemy ... you probably don't see the world the same way as I do ... if you did, you might be more sensitive in your use of language ... why be so sensitive about issues that are somebody else's to deal with?
fair enough, i apologise for the use of jesus

im sensitive because i have seen both sides of the coin. ive spent time in the uk where ive heard people complain about the constant influx of immigrants or asylum seekers. it made me cringe everytime i heard it, because i was in fact an immigrant in the uk. its something i dont wish to encounter here.

whenever i was in the uk and used to complain about things, the natives would tell me to go home. well, i did. and i give the same advice to those here who think they have it so bad.

its a shame that people have to classify other people according to race. its also a shame that people feel uncomfortable around people 'not of their kind'. but then, i suppose that says a lot about the person.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:20 am
Glaswegian

where exactly does canada show this white face? im curious....
Look at the thread about Canada News ... it's a Canadian government sponsored "newspaper" for potential UK immigrants ... I remember it being full of stories of nice white people from the UK finding lives in Canada.

I asked a serious question earlier ... are there really no non-european mounties?

I've never seen a photo of a mountie who wasn't obviously european.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:26 am
Glaswegian

fair enough, i apologise for the use of jesus
Thank you, I appreciate that

whenever i was in the uk and used to complain about things, the natives would tell me to go home.
I'm a Scot who lived in England for fifteen years ... we've been told to "***** off back to where you came from and stop taking our jobs" in England ... nobody in Canada has told me that yet, it's a much more tolerant place.

There seems to be an element of English society that has a problem with race ... I don't think they would feel very much at home in Canada.

Perhaps this thread does have a use after all.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:31 am
mañana is my busiest day

I'm a Scot who lived in England for fifteen years ... we've been told to "***** off back to where you came from and stop taking our jobs" in England ... nobody in Canada has told me that yet, it's a much more tolerant place.
I would be shocked - especially in Canada's larger urban areas - if anyone ever said that to you.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:37 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I would be shocked - especially in Canada's larger urban areas - if anyone ever said that to you.
After three years of living in Canada, I would be too ... England is a different issue ... there are elements of society that detest everything non-English ... that includes the Irish, Scots & Welsh ... I find it amusing that Canadians don't see the divisions in the UK ... nobody has called me a Jock in three years and I'm getting to like it.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:13 am
mañana is my busiest day

After three years of living in Canada, I would be too ... England is a different issue ... there are elements of society that detest everything non-English ... that includes the Irish, Scots & Welsh ... I find it amusing that Canadians don't see the divisions in the UK ... nobody has called me a Jock in three years and I'm getting to like it.
The term 'Jock' in Canada refers to an athlete. In high school, we especially referred to football players (Canadian football that is) as 'jocks'. The term is not considered offensive in North America, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Scots. We have the Scottish Highland Games in Fergus, Ont. by the way - they even have a website.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:10 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I wholeheartedly agree with Velouria's comment.

I'd also have to say, and this might be where Vel and I diverge, that it is not necessarily racist to want to live in a community where you feel that you fit in and have something in common with your neighbours. That is why there are - in England and Canada and in many parts of the world - pockets of people predominantly fro one country. My mother-in-law's aunt lives in Little Italy in Toronto, and I don't think that she would feel comfortable living in a place with no one from an Italian background. Similarly, I don't see that it would be racist for an English person to want to live somewhere where he or she is at least able to commmunicate with his neighbours. There was a point ot this when I stated, but I've forgotten what it was, but I'm not going to delete this now I've typed it. I think one of the points was that one canot brandish the original poster racist on the basis of his or her message. It could have been worded rather more sensitively, though.

well sorry, im going to have to disagree there. calling someone a briton or an italian or a spaniard does not constitute racism to me. thats just political correctness gone way too far.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:13 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

The fact that the original poster called ‘Chinese people’ as a group ‘immigrants’ instead of seeing them as the Canadians that they are speaks volume about that person’s mis- or non-understanding of the culture and history of Vancouver (and Canada perhaps). It also suggests (to me) that she likely sees non-white Canadians as immigrants rather than the Canadians that they are and assumes ‘real Canadians’ are white (I’m guessing).

I don’t necessarily see the original comments as racist but, as I wrote previously, I find them arrogant and ignorant.
Ah, this expresses what I meant in my last post rather more eloquently than I managed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.