Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver and IT

Vancouver and IT

Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

shaunaghtech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver and IT

After years of hanging around this forum and waiting for our PR visa, I have finally decided to post. (as we got our passports back last week)

My husband and I plan to head to Vancouver in the New Year although sooner if we can get jobs from here. We are both in IT, myself as a Desktop Support Technician and himself as Desktop Support and and Systems Admin.

We are just wondering if there is anyone on here who is in that field and knows what Vancouver is like at the moment for jobs. Also as we have learned it’s all about networking so any contacts you can give us would be great too.

I am sure I will be on again with more questions but so far finding most of my questions already answered in the forums
Thanks in advance for replying.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:38 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver and IT

Hi there, and welcome to B.E. It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to our little bit of madness, help and support!

I can't answer your questions I'm afraid but I know from experience that someone will be along to help you further.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about the site, you can contact me here
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:47 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

It's pretty healthy out here and you will be able to make a lateral move, I even made a step up!

It took me about 4 weeks to find my current gig (Application Analyst).
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:47 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shaunaghtech
After years of hanging around this forum and waiting for our PR visa, I have finally decided to post. (as we got our passports back last week)

My husband and I plan to head to Vancouver in the New Year although sooner if we can get jobs from here. We are both in IT, myself as a Desktop Support Technician and himself as Desktop Support and and Systems Admin.

We are just wondering if there is anyone on here who is in that field and knows what Vancouver is like at the moment for jobs. Also as we have learned it’s all about networking so any contacts you can give us would be great too.

I am sure I will be on again with more questions but so far finding most of my questions already answered in the forums
Hi and welcome,

From what I understand IT is still pretty healthy here in Vancouver. Some of my past clients have told me that it takes a bit longer to find work than they've been used to in London - but not surprising given the relative size of our market compared to London!

The main thing is to adapt your job search style to fit Canadian expectations. Network as much as you can, update your resume (CV) to Canadian style and use all the resources here on the wiki and through the helpful people here. I also hear that LinkedIn is a good resource in IT, especially in certain sectors.

Good luck.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Lot of tech support positions floating around, Sophos has an office in Vancouver so being from the UK that might help. Another company in North Vancouver called Explorer Software that has a lot of UK clients so once again, might help that you are from the UK. (Not sure about Ireland).

Not sure if they're hiring though. Supposedly Victoria is the place to move to if you're into IT, I'm beginning to think this was a rumour rather than a fact though. Haven't found much evidence to support that view. I think basically what it was is that Microsoft is based in Redmond and Boeing etc. use a lot of software so there were this idea that because Victoria is so close by that everyone who can't immigrate into the US would end up getting based in an office in Victoria. Microsoft does have an office there but it's not that big from the looks of it. H-1B applications have fallen off a cliff and there are visas currently available, so I think it was all a momentary blip.

Never understood it frankly, they can do it all from Mumbai for the all the difference it makes. Victoria is a bit of a backwater imo.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Microsoft are in Richmond BC.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:00 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I've moved to a corporate office IT position having transitioned from a technical support role (for our customers) within the same company. Yes networking is far more important here than in London for example. I tried applying for these types of jobs when I first arrived. I got interviews but no job. I don't know what the market is like at the moment as I haven't looked at job adverts in a while.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:34 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking of Vancouver although Toronto is the 2nd biggest IT industry.

I have the urge to see mountains when I come though.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Yep in the same boat as you although have not been on the technical side for years, now in management.

I have started profiling organisations within Vancouver, there is a TOP employers list generated every year. Worth taking a look at as they even have a category for immigrant friendly. The staff rate them on many factors including eduction, pay, conditions and culture.

Send me a PM as once I am in Vancouver will need to recruit techincal staff at some point.

Regards

CBC