Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vacations/Holidays

Vacations/Holidays

Old Oct 17th 2004, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Vacations/Holidays

On average how amny holiday days are allocated at work?
Do the majority of expats spend them flying to the uk to visit family and friends or explore their new home?
What has been the best vacation since settling in canada?

Nosey bugger
Old Oct 17th 2004, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vacations/Holidays

Originally Posted by owen
Do the majority of expats spend them flying to the uk to visit family and friends or explore their new home?

Nosey bugger
Hi Owen,

I get three weeks vacation, although this isn't the norm, I think it's usually two weeks. I seem to have a nice employer as I have only just started there!

I will spend one week of that visiting the U.K and another travelling some where nice and then the other sorting stuff out at home.

My best vacation since settling in Canada was visitng the Rockies. It's so beautiful there and I'd love to retire there, but I have about 40 years to go!

Interested
Old Oct 17th 2004, 4:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I get two weeks at the moment, three next year. Been back to UK once in 6+ years. Too expensive to go against the exchange rate very often, and it seemed cramped and generally "not home" when I did visit. Now with a small kid the thought of travelling with a grouchy toddler kind of puts us off major expeditions! MAybe in a year or two well go back to the UK again to visit. Have family and friends visit here fairly often though.

Best holiday here was a week spent in SE USA, few days in Las Vegas, then touring round the grand canyon, monument valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Fantastic places in Utah, Arizona and Nevada. Mostly we just mooch around our corner of Ontario though, like the license plates say "Yours to discover"

Getting used to the poor holiday allowance takes time, and apart from the 4th month of winter is the major bummer about life in canada. Really its a case of mind over matter. I think cos my life here is generally a lot less stressfull than in the UK, I dont have the same need to get away from it all several times a year. Might feel different is I lived in a large city though, who knows.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 5:41 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Nosey bugger

You know, our best best best holiday so far has been four days in the Sunshine Coast - that was last year and by popular demand we will be doing it again next year

I am lucky to get 3 weeks a year, but I want more to visit this WONDERFUL country (I'm in BC, and I want to see ALL of it!!)

Been to Britain once in 3 years. Much prefer family coming over here to see us

Clare
Old Oct 17th 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Much prefer family coming over here to see us

Clare

I have to agree with this!!!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 7:09 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Interested
I get three weeks vacation, although this isn't the norm, I think it's usually two weeks. I seem to have a nice employer as I have only just started there!
Ditto

Haven't been outside Alberta in 3 years!

Old Oct 17th 2004, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Nosey bugger
Hi

We have spent a lot of holidays in BC and have pretty much seen all of it now. Also been down to the States a few times too. I enjoy going back to the UK and like to go back every year. Seriously considering Mexico for a holiday destination too as I have to get out there and see some culture from time to time, can't just live with the North American culture (or lack of it) I'm afraid.

JJ
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:11 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I will get two weeks paid holidays.....but only next year after I have worked 1827 hours in this post. Also just found out that I may get "zeroed" for taking maternity leave in April - so when I go back, I have to work another 1827 hours before I qualify for any holidays. This is a Union, Provincial Government job. I have been back to Blighty three times in eight years...it gets harder to come back to BC every time. Travelling from BC is prohibitively expensive most of the time, none of your week in Ibiza for a hundred quid jobs here. I have seen most of Canada and have no desire to see anymore. Been all over the US too over the years, Mexico to a lesser extent. I nearly always used my holidays for sick days with the kids.I had no other way of covering the time off. Great eh? I left six weeks holidays plus bank hols in the UK.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

([/QUOTE]

I think we've had this discussion before.....but your union really "screwed you guys around" with your last contract......really unbelieveable. I hope you find a really good job where they appreciate your education and all the hard work you do.......in my opinion you are really and truly undervalued in BC.......
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:59 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
(
I think we've had this discussion before.....but your union really "screwed you guys around" with your last contract......really unbelieveable. I hope you find a really good job where they appreciate your education and all the hard work you do.......in my opinion you are really and truly undervalued in BC....... [/QUOTE]

Well thank you.