Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vacation and UK benefits

Vacation and UK benefits

Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all
Default Vacation and UK benefits

My parents are coming over on vacation this year and I'd like for them to stay for over a month.
My Mum says that she was told that if they were out of the country (UK) for over a month, that their benefits would be affected.
The benefits are disability (my Dad has some health issues) and their pensions, although I'm not sure if she meant both or one or the other.
Does anyone have any experience, or advice on whether they wouod be adversly affected?
Thanks for any input!

Kenny
Old Jan 12th 2015, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation and UK benefits

Great that your parents are coming to stay!.
Yes, there is a possibility the disability paymeny MAY be affected, they do need to let the appropriate dept know they will be abroad and for how long.
Here's the info; Change of circumstances - Going Abroad | nidirect. They will decide if they need to "adjust" the benefit.

State pensions , unless they are staying with you for a long time, should not be a problem as they are visiting, not emigrating! If one of them was in hospital in UK for more than I think 6 weeks, then the State Pension is reduced until they come out.If their pensions are paid direct into their UK bank accounts, i would not worry as by the time they tell the pension dept they are going on holiday and the pension dept answer , they'll be back!
Parents come here to visit their children for up to 3 months at a time and it never crosses their minds to tell the dept of pensions! We came for 6/7 weeks at a time before we moved here. Benefits are different though.
Private pensions are not interested in where you live/travel to!

The only problem I can see is the cost of them getting travel insurance to cover for any health problems in Canada.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty sure that outside of the EU benefits can be claimed for up to 3 months,that was around 2 years ago that I had looked into it though.
I would deffo check with the benefits agency to be safe though.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 5:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You only need to inform them if you are going abroad for more than 3 months.

*you go abroad for more than 13 weeks

https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-li...t/how-to-claim
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

Awesome Siouxie!
I'll let them know when I call then at the weekend. They were really worried about that!
Thank you to all you folks!
I love this site! :-)