vacation pay

Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

cushdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vacation pay

In my new job i have been told that i dont get paid for my 2 weeks holiday per year nor do i get paid for bank holidays.

BUT i do get 4%Vacation pay and 6% holiday pay?
Is that 10% of my monthly wage extra?

I really dont understand how this works?
Any help would be great
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vacation pay

It is very common to be paid only for the hours you work. If someone is entitiled to the basic minimum vacation time of 10 days a year they are paid their regular hourly rate plus 4%. If they save tht extra 4% then after 50 weeks they will have saved the equivalent of two weeks pay, and they use this to cover their vaation time when they will not be paid by the employer.

6% is eqivalent to three weeks, or 15 days, vacation.

From what you said, it seems that you employer is also adding statutory holiday pay onto your hourly rate. This is more unusual. How many statutory holidays are there in the province you will be working in?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

cushdee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is very common to be paid only for the hours you work. If someone is entitiled to the basic minimum vacation time of 10 days a year they are paid their regular hourly rate plus 4%. If they save tht extra 4% then after 50 weeks they will have saved the equivalent of two weeks pay, and they use this to cover their vaation time when they will not be paid by the employer.

6% is eqivalent to three weeks, or 15 days, vacation.

From what you said, it seems that you employer is also adding statutory holiday pay onto your hourly rate. This is more unusual. How many statutory holidays are there in the province you will be working in?
I will be working in edmonton alberta
im not really sure how many holidays they have there?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I asked about holidays also and was told that I get an additional 7% with each wage to cover holiday time off.
I didn't really get into bank holidays etc.. I'll ask someone in the workplace when I get there.

Hitting Edmonton on the 24th
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The minimum is 4% of wage as vacation pay for under 5 years employment, 6% 5+years. This can be retained or paid out with each pay cheque, it is up to the employee as to which option is chosen. If it is retained, you can ask for it to be paid out at any time. Statutory holidays are not paid during the fisrt 30 days of employment, thereafter they are paid. This does vary by industry though, agriculture does not pay stat holidays at all.

An employer can offer whatever they like, but it cannot be below the minimums set by labour standards.

http://humanservices.alberta.ca/work...berta/996.html