Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vacation Advice

Vacation Advice

Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:09 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Vacation Advice

I really need some help about this one.

I started at my job in Feb 16th 2010, I am trying to get time off at Christmas my employer thinks I am going to get around 3 days of vacation time (still to work it out correctly) but my Canadian boyfriend says I am entitled too 8.5 days off. Is one of them not working it out correctly. I'm confused.

I haven't been getting it in my pay and here is a link to the gov website let me know what you think I am a bit confused.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/lwd/employmentr...onleavepay.asp

thanks

Emma
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vacation Advice

Are you full or part time? Technically that website says that you're only entitled to vacation after 12 months of employment, which you don't have.

In our company, they pro-rate the vacation days down depending on when you start, and they are available immediately, but that's not law, that's just company policy.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Are you full or part time? Technically that website says that you're only entitled to vacation after 12 months of employment, which you don't have.

In our company, they pro-rate the vacation days down depending on when you start, and they are available immediately, but that's not law, that's just company policy.
I am full time but it states "and within" 10 months?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:40 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I really need some help about this one.

I started at my job in Feb 16th 2010, I am trying to get time off at Christmas my employer thinks I am going to get around 3 days of vacation time (still to work it out correctly) but my Canadian boyfriend says I am entitled too 8.5 days off. Is one of them not working it out correctly. I'm confused.

I haven't been getting it in my pay and here is a link to the gov website let me know what you think I am a bit confused.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/lwd/employmentr...onleavepay.asp

thanks

Emma
Speak with your HR department and have them provide evidence of their numbers.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably legally entitled to take 8 days off, but have only worked long enough to have 3 of them PAID....

Thats my guess anyway...
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You are probably legally entitled to take 8 days off, but have only worked long enough to have 3 of them PAID....

Thats my guess anyway...
Come to think on it, you're probably right.

How depressing for the OP
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:38 pm

Ok so I was right I get 8 days off paid.

Now this is a big secret I am not telling my family I am coming home for xmas so if you know me on Facebook please keep it quiet. My Dad knows but I'm hoping to surprise my sister mum and niece who I haven't seen in two years

I am checking airlines for best deals, anyone got some good website to get good flights.

Looking at leaving Halifax 22nd Dec (flexible) to get to Glasgow and leaving Glasgow around the 3rd Jan (flexible)

I have checked some airlines and I am getting between $1000 - $1300.

Any help ?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Now this is a big secret I am not telling my family I am coming home for xmas so if you know me on Facebook please keep it quiet. My Dad knows but I'm hoping to surprise my sister mum and niece who I haven't seen in two years

I am checking airlines for best deals, anyone got some good website to get good flights.

Looking at leaving Halifax 22nd Dec (flexible) to get to Glasgow and leaving Glasgow around the 3rd Jan (flexible)

I have checked some airlines and I am getting between $1000 - $1300.

Any help ?
Good job on getting the vacation sorted. As to travel, you are flying in peak time so are not likely to get any kind of deal. (My Mrs always used to fly back to Canada before the 15th Dec when the prices go up.) Your only way of getting a cheaper option is likely to fly on a day no-one else wants to fly like Christmas Day itself.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:08 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Your only way of getting a cheaper option is likely to fly on a day no-one else wants to fly like Christmas Day itself.
My dad looked into that this year... nothing doing
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:53 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

HI Emma

Just a heads up we are travelling back to UK xmas day night, cheapest deal, paid approx $1000 each

Original flights were direct from Halifax for 25th dec to 8th Jan

Got email this week all direct flights from Halifdax Air Canada have been cancelled from 22nd Dec through to the 27th

I have therefore just had to re arrange flights and am now going Halifax to Ottawa, then Ottawa to UK on the 25th Dec, night flight, back on a direct uk to Halifax flight on the 8th Jan.

If you want direct from Halifax, you will have to be gone by 21st Dec and I think these were really expensive
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:56 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Air Canada currently $1277.91 21st dec to 3rd Jan direct flights
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Thats my guess anyway...
Eh?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Eh?
I was confused about the same thing, I read it as the same Iaink has suggested, time off but not all paid
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:21 pm

Thanks Guys, and thanks Nikki for looking at flights for me I'm off to have a look at flights
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
HI Emma

Just a heads up we are travelling back to UK xmas day night, cheapest deal, paid approx $1000 each

Original flights were direct from Halifax for 25th dec to 8th Jan

Got email this week all direct flights from Halifdax Air Canada have been cancelled from 22nd Dec through to the 27th

I have therefore just had to re arrange flights and am now going Halifax to Ottawa, then Ottawa to UK on the 25th Dec, night flight, back on a direct uk to Halifax flight on the 8th Jan.

If you want direct from Halifax, you will have to be gone by 21st Dec and I think these were really expensive
Just curious to know direct flights to where as there has never been direct flights from Halifax to Glasgow via Air Canada. I can see one cheap ticket for sale that is from Halifax to London... ?? Is that what flight you mean has been cancelled? I hope it doesn't change for me... to book or not to book that is the question lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.