Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Using dual passports.

Using dual passports.

Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using dual passports.

Originally Posted by iaink
What do they care, as long as you are just visiting and its obvious Canada is home and you intend to return....

I can see that if you were returning to the UK permanently, then getting a current UK passport might be worth the hassle and additional expense, but if its just a vacation, then Im going on my Canadian PP as my UK one has now expired and I dont intend to renew it. Whats a Canadian passport worth in terms of visitation rights, 3 months, 6 months? more than enough for any trip I might make anyway.
Exactly, that's why I just nodded contritely and said of course I'd use a UK passport next time. And never have.

I think it's 6mths - see the stamp I got in my post above. Like I said, I wouldn't attempt UK life on a Canadian passport, but I'm happy at UK immigration with it given my year of birth and place.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
It's not much of a backup if one of your passports is sitting back in a draw in Canada and you've lost the other one while on the other side of the Atlantic!
Hah, true! But if my bag's pinched, I haven't got the cost of 2 to replace, and the worry of being passport-less whilst they're replaced. I'd get back to Canada with the police report I guess, and would use the British one to travel, with citizenship card for crossing the US border.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
What difference does it make? If you're a UK citizen and can prove it, you can enter and leave the country whenever you want, regardless of which passport you use to pass through immigration.
The difference is that for the sake of a vacation I don't really care if they think I'm British or Canadian, as long as they let me in for a visit.

Do people go through the shorter British Citizens lineup using just a Canadian PP with a UK birthplace, rather than queue with the great unwashed masses of non British PP holders?

Last time I was there I still had my (valid) British PP with me (as well as my new Canadian one) and went in the short line, along with the wife and kids on their Canadian passports. Could I do that with just my Canadian passport?

If for whatever reason I needed to prove beyond doubt that I was British (although I cant think of any circumstances right now), there is always the option of taking my expired British passport and my birth cert, they should count for something hopefully?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:39 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference is that for the sake of a vacation I don't really care if they think I'm British or Canadian, as long as they let me in for a visit.

Do people go through the shorter British Citizens lineup using just a Canadian PP with a UK birthplace, rather than queue with the great unwashed masses of non British PP holders?

Last time I was there I still had my (valid) British PP with me (as well as my new Canadian one) and went in the short line, along with the wife and kids on their Canadian passports. Could I do that with just my Canadian passport?

If for whatever reason I needed to prove beyond doubt that I was British (although I cant think of any circumstances right now), there is always the option of taking my expired British passport and my birth cert, they should count for something hopefully?
Interesting questions. I think, although I may be wrong, that the lanes are for nationality, not passport. You could probably do what you suggest in your last paragraph but the ensuing conversation might well take longer than lining up with the great unwashed.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I was quite prepared to stay with the wife and kids in the foreign line...What was nice was that one of the staff noticed me standing around with maroon passport in hand and directed us all over to the shorter line... Maybe I should just take the expired one anyway

Any positive impression of customer service in the UK was however erased shortly afterwards while we stood for what seemed like 5 minutes at the rail counter waiting for the "customer service" agent to finish up her obviously personal call on her mobile before she deigned to deal with us! My wife was gobsmaked, but after a week or so she was pretty much resigned to the abysmal level that now seems normal there.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:54 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I was quite prepared to stay with the wife and kids in the foreign line...What was nice was that one of the staff noticed me standing around with maroon passport in hand and directed us all over to the shorter line... Maybe I should just take the expired one anyway

Any positive impression of customer service in the UK was however erased shortly afterwards while we stood for what seemed like 5 minutes at the rail counter waiting for the "customer service" agent to finish up her obviously personal call on her mobile before she deigned to deal with us! My wife was gobsmaked, but after a week or so she was pretty much resigned to the abysmal level that now seems normal there.
I'm surprised to hear that. I find customer service in the UK to be miles ahead of what I get here. Railway stations in particular.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:14 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

We are British born and Canadian citizens therefore have both passports. We will be over our 6 months this time but have our return flight. Passports seem to be scanned now not stamped, but what does the scan say?

I don't think there should be any problem returning past 6 months if we use UK to leave and Canandian to return, do you?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

What do you mean by "over our six months"?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hah, true! But if my bag's pinched, I haven't got the cost of 2 to replace, and the worry of being passport-less whilst they're replaced. I'd get back to Canada with the police report I guess, and would use the British one to travel, with citizenship card for crossing the US border.
Put one in your Hand-luggage and one in your suitcase.... Then if one get's pinched you can still travel without too much hassle on that trip and save all the replacement issues for when you get home.... It's not often (touch-wood) that all your bags get pinched....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We are British born and Canadian citizens therefore have both passports. We will be over our 6 months this time but have our return flight. Passports seem to be scanned now not stamped, but what does the scan say?

I don't think there should be any problem returning past 6 months if we use UK to leave and Canandian to return, do you?
The scan reads the two lines at the bottom of a passport, (known as the "Machine Readable" bit). It is a repeat of the information above it + a checksum to validate.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Though your reasoning is great. I have been warned regarding using your canadain passport to come back in.... and no stamp to show you arrived in the uk.

Remember there is the law of the land and then immigration officials, who have more power than they know what to do with. They love to upset peoples holiday plans. I am personally going to use the same passport for going and arriving back, but would choose my passport for ease. e.g. going to the states..... canadian everytime, far east, australia all love canadians. The british one...... when travelling to europe.
The only way i could see this being a problem is if you submit Advanced passenger info to your airline with one passport and then present another passport at check-in.

I have heard that it is better to enter the UK on your UK passport and Can on your Canadian passport because if you don't it looks like you are trying to hide something. I also saw (a few years ago) a man getting a major bollocking in front of his family by a UK immigration officer for using his Canadian passport instead of his UK one (he had both on him).

I always use the passport of the country i'm entering (UK/Can) and never have any problems. As far as travel to the USA is concerned, i use my Canadian passport to save time and money.

Last edited by neill; Aug 6th 2008 at 3:46 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:46 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
The only way to prove on the spot that you are a citizen would be your UK passport.... Any other method opens you up to the possibility of delay.

Possession of a passport does not prove citizenship. My B-I-L carrys an irish passport, a passport he was entitled to (as I understand) because his mother is Irish.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:17 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

We will be away 7 months so that is more than the usual 6 months. That's what I meant.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We will be away 7 months so that is more than the usual 6 months. That's what I meant.
In which case you dont have much choice but to use a british passport on arrival in London...you wont be allowed in for that long on anything else I suspect.

When you get back to canada it doesnt really matter which you use... although it makes more sense to use the canadian one as it clearly indicates your status as a canadian citizen. As a canadian citizen, the fact youve been out of the country for 7 months makes no difference to anything, it doesnt affect your status at all.

Even if you were still a PR traveling back to canada on a british passport your length of absence shouldnt make any difference, although I suppose it could reaise eyebrows and they might look into your absences in a bit of detail if they suspected that the overall residency requirements for PR were no longer being met.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 6th 2008 at 4:34 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:55 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

On this theme, here's the scenario my family will be facing as we travel back to the UK at the end of this month.

My wife and I are both British citizens with UK passports and 2 year residency visas in Canada right now. Our newly born son has already got Canadian and UK passports in preparation for the trip back.

When flying into the UK do we use our son's UK passport or Canadian, from what I read he's got the right to use either, however thinking ahead to the trip back is the Canadian easier so he gets stamped, but then that means standing in the non-UK line.

To add a twist I'm returning 2 weeks earlier than my wife and son (she's on mat leave so can take her time) . They are going to have a consent letter from me but which passport should we bring our son back in on, Canadian or UK. I almost feel like the UK one would be easier as it matches my wifes so should involve less hassle.

I think overall that this should be straightforward but IO experience in the past around the world (not in Calgary to be fair) means I want to get some advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.