Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Using Alberta healthcare before registering

Using Alberta healthcare before registering

Old Dec 16th 2019, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

bairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using Alberta healthcare before registering

Can anyone advise on the likelihood of being able to use healthcare in Alberta before registering for a healthare card? Cover is immediate but you need to provide proof of residence to apply for the card (which I won't have immediately as I am staying in an Airbnb for the first couple of months). If I don't have the documents straight away to register for a card, how can I utilise the healthcare? I have an ongoing condition which increases the likelihood that I may need to get medication within the first few weeks of my arrival in January.

Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2019, 3:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Alberta healthcare before registering

Do you have a rental agreement for the AirBnB? I wonder if that might be sufficient as proof of residency?

Make sure you keep the receipts (you will probably have to attend a walk in and pay before healthcare kicks in if you don't have proof enough at the start) - you may be able to claim it back if you can prove you were resident at the time.

https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-apply.aspx
Any insured health services you receive and pay for before your application is processed may be reimbursed once you have your personal health care card. You will have to show eligibility for the period when you received the services.
https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...Page11973.aspx
https://skipthewaitingroom.com/region/ab

You could get emigrants insurance but with a pre-existing health condition you may not be covered. I'd suggest bringing up to a 90 day supply (the maximum you can legally bring into Canada) - you could also bring a copy of your health record (or a letter from your doctor) if possible, so that your 'new' doctor is aware of your health issues.
Bringing over-the-counter medication back to Canada
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/heal...ety/medication
You are permitted to import a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply, whichever is less based on the directions for use, of an over-the-counter drug. The drug must be for your use or for the use of a person who is travelling with you and for whom you are responsible. The drug must be shipped or carried in hospital or pharmacy-dispensed packaging, the original retail packaging, or have the original label attached to it clearly indicating what the health product is and what it contains

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 16th 2019 at 3:56 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 3:38 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bairn7
Can anyone advise on the likelihood of being able to use healthcare in Alberta before registering for a healthare card? Cover is immediate but you need to provide proof of residence to apply for the card (which I won't have immediately as I am staying in an Airbnb for the first couple of months). If I don't have the documents straight away to register for a card, how can I utilise the healthcare? I have an ongoing condition which increases the likelihood that I may need to get medication within the first few weeks of my arrival in January.

Thanks
At any and all medical interactions (GPs, hospitals, clinics, vaccinations etc) you are asked to present your AHS card first. Without that card, you'll be charged for the treatment or service you receive.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

bairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I've had a look at immigrant medical insurance and for 2 months I can get $100,000 of coverage (including my ongoing condition as it is 'stable') for $200 so I may just do that for peace of mind.

The one thing I'm not sure of is that I will not be covered if I am 'insured or eligible for benefits under a Canadian Government Health Insurance Plan'. I'm thinking this may make the policy worthless? I can't prove that I'm eligible for the Alberta Healthcare Plan as I can't provide proof of residency. But am I technically eligible anyway?
Old Dec 17th 2019, 3:18 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bairn7
The one thing I'm not sure of is that I will not be covered if I am 'insured or eligible for benefits under a Canadian Government Health Insurance Plan'. I'm thinking this may make the policy worthless? I can't prove that I'm eligible for the Alberta Healthcare Plan as I can't provide proof of residency. But am I technically eligible anyway?
The best case scenario is that you're doubly insured. Worst case is you're insured only on one. In either case, sounds like a good use of $200 for peace of mind with an existing medical condition...
Old Dec 17th 2019, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Photoplex
The best case scenario is that you're doubly insured. Worst case is you're insured only on one. In either case, sounds like a good use of $200 for peace of mind with an existing medical condition...
Very good point!
Old Dec 18th 2019, 12:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Insures you prior to departure, plus the travelling.. and for up to 3 months after you 'land' in Canada (you choose the length of time) - Emigrants Insurance :
https://www.duinsure.com/travel_insu...ies_emigration
Old Dec 18th 2019, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Insures you prior to departure, plus the travelling.. and for up to 3 months after you 'land' in Canada (you choose the length of time) - Emigrants Insurance :
https://www.duinsure.com/travel_insu...ies_emigration
Sounds promising, but...

"Dear Customers, due to unforeseen circumstances we are currently in the process of changing the Insurer who underwrites our travel insurance product base. As such, we are unable to provide quotes or sell travel insurance policies until such time as we have replaced the underwriter. If you have any queries, please contact our travel team at the call centre on 0800 393 908. Sorry for the inconvenience"