Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Use a Realtor or Buy in Private ????

Use a Realtor or Buy in Private ????

Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Use a Realtor or Buy in Private ????

Originally Posted by stepnek

My other observation is to do with the initial contract that is signed when an offer is made and accepted. Initially that seems like a great improvement on the UK system but then I found myself wondering what would happen if one party pulled out of the deal as often happens in England. Does that mean that the other party simply has the option to sue? If that's the way it works how useful is that? It might be a straight forward case but if the buyer pulls out and you've got the hassle of finding a new buyer along with the complication of suing a former buyer...well, I just wonder how it all works.
IIRC when you sign that initial precontract offer, you also hand over a healthy deposit. If you renege on the deal, that deposit is lost.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iaink
Why do people keep saying this? If there is no selling agent, who is going to pay the buyers agent? I doubt he's working from the kindness of his heart just 'cos he loves a british accent
I personally keep saying it because its true... I've bought four houses now and having not needed to sell any of them at the time, its cost US, as buyers, absolutely nothing. We sold our house in Saskatoon as a sale only and paid our realtor accordingly but the purchases were 'free'.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smokey
I personally keep saying it because its true... I've bought four houses now and having not needed to sell any of them at the time, its cost US, as buyers, absolutely nothing. We sold our house in Saskatoon as a sale only and paid our realtor accordingly but the purchases were 'free'.
You are missing my point entirely. The realtor in your buying case, if you used one, is paid half the commision that the selling agent gets. Fine, thats not in doubt.

In the example at the beginning of this thread there is NO selling agent (or at least doesnt seem to be) , its a private sale. So in this type of case where is any agent employed by the buyer going to get his money from?

Where's Ray when you need him...catching up on his sleep I hope!
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC when you sign that initial precontract offer, you also hand over a healthy deposit. If you renege on the deal, that deposit is lost.
I guess that's what puzzles me because we paid a deposit of only $300 which didn't seem such a lot to lose really. We did of course complete the sale.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by stepnek
I guess that's what puzzles me because we paid a deposit of only $300 which didn't seem such a lot to lose really. We did of course complete the sale.
I think I paid $500? I guess you are right, its not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but enough to cover any fees for lawyers or survey the seller may be out of pocket??? Better than the English system anyway.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this is how comission works in Ontario (and probably other provinces) I haven't read all the posts.

A "listed sale" has 2 comission ends one paid to the listing agent one paid to the buying agent who brings a buyer, this is paid by the SELLER of the house
Typically it is 2.5% points each BUT its up to the seller to determine what he wants to pay, if he pays less then 2.5% then he'll end up getting less agents viewing, since they could get paid more elsewhere.

A private sale again depends on the seller he may offer to pay a BUYING agent only a comission if he/she brings a buyer , on the other hand he/she may not.

However if you sign a buyer agency agreement and during the period of the contract you buy a house privately, your agent has the right to request a commission from YOU. (not sure that they do pursue that in reality though)

SO Buyers never usually end up paying their agent a comission except in the last circumstance mentioned

Hopefully thats clearer.

By the way a typcal deposit is around $3-4% of the value of the house

Now back to bed

Ray
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

if you go over for a visit, ask for the mls. listings book they print its like a telephone directory of property.

Now that we have this cleared up, to a certain extent......... i ask on the quote ?
i use mls to do a lot of house hunting, just to get the feel of things..... am i to assume this "telephone directory type book" is listing's on a whole and that the properties i see on mls are paid to be listed on the www, if so can i assume there are 1000's more properties available than what me and the wife look at?

wife keeps moaning because i always use lower case iiiiiiiii's as opposed ti I
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:54 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by George-Ang
if so can i assume there are 1000's more properties available than what me and the wife look at?
Not really ... sometimes properties sell before they get onto MLS.

There are private sale websites too .... welist.com is the only one I can think of right now, but most (not all) people who try to sell privately seem to give up and go with a realtor.

Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

You are missing my point entirely. The realtor in your buying case, if you used one, is paid half the commision that the selling agent gets. Fine, thats not in doubt.

In the example at the beginning of this thread there is NO selling agent (or at least doesnt seem to be) , its a private sale. So in this type of case where is any agent employed by the buyer going to get his money from?

Where's Ray when you need him...catching up on his sleep I hope!
Now you know why I'm going to be a chambermaid and not a realtor
Old Jan 27th 2005, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

colin wilk is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=George-Ang]My wife Ang does a lot more surfing than me, tonight after i think a 5 hour stint on the internet, avidly searching Saskatoon area, at the same time i was on my pc surfing mls.ca. she turns and says ive found a lot more properties at far less prices from people who are selling privately........ the question i ask is.
Is it more or less risky..... or are these people just trying to avoid the realtors fees? if it can be done are there more risks, and what laws are in place to help the buyer if the property turns out to be a

Hi there,
we have lived in saskatoon since october 2004 and i am already on my second move. The reason not being that we don't like the house we love it.
It is brand new and everything we dreamed of.
The reason we are moving is that the school my son attends is only a 7minute journey by car, but because of the ice the roads are very slippey and they don't get cleared very often so the ice builds up and after slidding and having cars and trucks slid towards me i have now lost my nerve to drive.
I gave my son the choice of moving school or moving house and he chose to move. Anyway getting back to the subject. We have a wonderful realtor who we have dealt with on both occassions now, she is reliable and honest and very patient after all she did drive me all over the place viewing houses everyday for a whole month in the summer.
I am not sure about private sales all i know is that i am covered if anything goes wrong because i have used a realtor and their prices are only the same as you would pay in the uk. You dont pay them for showing you houses and you can always say no at the end of it, but i definitley reccomend Karen Clouthier at remax saskatoon (the mad english women) Her email address is [email protected]
She will email you any info that you require, give her a whirl,
regards linda
Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:46 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I've bought my house through a real estate agent.

A property on the same subdivsion I was looking at was up on a private sale. I paid just over $400k for mine, but the private sale property - same no of bedrooms etc, was having $550k asked for it.

My folks who live out here in Ontario said that most private sales are on offer at vastly inflated prices.

One advantage of using a good realator is that they know the areas much better than you do, and they can give you a very good steer on fair market value for the place you want to buy...