Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To use a fairground analogy...

To use a fairground analogy...

Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

silver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant future
Default To use a fairground analogy...

...for the last 2 years since we first thought of moving to Canada, I feel as though I have been bimbling along on a fairground carousel. You know the ones that bob along nice and gently, wth nothing much to be scared of? We are AOR July 2005 with 30 months quoted, so we have been spending the time researching like mad and looking for opportunities to get into the country more quickly (as you do), but not expecting much. That ride has finished and I find myself now on the biggest, scariest monster of a rollercoaster and I feel sick :scared:

Over a year ago, I applied for a job in Halifax, NS, jumped through the various hoops required and have just found out that I have got the job. I have yet to get the work permit organised as I am waiting for the various documents to arrive via snail mail. The house is going on the market tomorrow (and half our possessions are stacked up in boxes in the garage for that uncluttered look in the house ). I am in a total state of panic at how I will pack up my life and the lives of the family in the next few months - we are aiming to be over before Christmas

This forum has been a fantastic source of information and advice for the last year since I stumbled across it so thank you!! I will be searching past threads with a greater sense of urgency from now on - packers, work permits, schools, places to live, beavers (sorry - a small tribute to Butch and Koogar ).

OMG I am really scared now :scared:

OK, stuff it, I'm off to get a (actually wine...)
Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:49 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: To use a fairground analogy...

Firstly, congrats, thats wonderful news. I guess it just hits like a ton of bricks when something starts to happen a lot quicker than anticipated, and it goes from just thinking about it , to actually doing it all at once !

You really are very lucky to by-pass the excruciating wait. What we did was.....panic, calm down, make lists, inventory all our belongings we wanted rid of and send it out to everyone we knew, panic some more, catch up with all our family and friends, plan when to give notice at work, booked flights, didn't sleep a lot........and finally after all that and nearly missing our flight , we were on our way. The start of a new journey !
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

dkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: To use a fairground analogy...

Congratulations! The switch from limbo to action-stations certainly gets the blood pumping and the panic setting in, but it should all come together in the end - and what a relief when you actually arrive.

I can't believe that this time last year we were having our medicals and getting stressed with house sales/packing etc etc. And here we are settled in our home in NS, enjoying the summer.

Look forward to seeing you in NS.

Deborah