Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

US pay as you go cell? Question!

US pay as you go cell? Question!

Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute
Default US pay as you go cell? Question!

Help!
I have a Canadian PAYG phone with Virgin. I put on $100 voucher which lasts me for the year - great no problem.

I am off to the US for a 2 week road trip in the middle of nowhere and think a cell is a good idea (!) BUT virgin CA will not allow me to roam with my CA cell - apparently you have to be on a monthly plan (which I don't want to be).

So, can anyone tell me if the US does PAYG and can I buy a cheap phone and then chuck it away?

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US pay as you go cell? Question!

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
Help!
I have a Canadian PAYG phone with Virgin. I put on $100 voucher which lasts me for the year - great no problem.

I am off to the US for a 2 week road trip in the middle of nowhere and think a cell is a good idea (!) BUT virgin CA will not allow me to roam with my CA cell - apparently you have to be on a monthly plan (which I don't want to be).

So, can anyone tell me if the US does PAYG and can I buy a cheap phone and then chuck it away?

The US does PAYGO, virgin has a US operation for one
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

LOL the virgin website has said "We're working on roaming agreements to bring on the US soon" for at least 6 years now. "Soon" is an elastic term I guess!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:25 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

From what I remember you can pick up PAYG phones in the US for around $20usd.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
Help!

I've been using Net10 for years. 10c per minute call within the US and 5c text anywhere in the world. (I text my best friend in Australia every day, very inexpensive)

Did you want to call Canada using that phone? Then all you need to do that is get International Roaming activated on it and it's around 15c per min.
Never had a prob with these guys.

And when you buy the phone (only $30), you get $30 worth of calls included, so in effect, it's free. Then you can chuck it.

I tried to get a PAYG iN Australia last year. Bloody expensive. We're spoiled here.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to Target or Wal-Mart in the US you can pick up a pay as you go for as little as 9 bucks.

I have Virgin Mobile in the US here and no issues with it, my phone cost me 9.99 at Target, its not a fancy phone but works for calling.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:56 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelstation
I've been using Net10 for years. 10c per minute call within the US and 5c text anywhere in the world. (I text my best friend in Australia every day, very inexpensive)

Did you want to call Canada using that phone? Then all you need to do that is get International Roaming activated on it and it's around 15c per min.
Never had a prob with these guys.

And when you buy the phone (only $30), you get $30 worth of calls included, so in effect, it's free. Then you can chuck it.

I tried to get a PAYG iN Australia last year. Bloody expensive. We're spoiled here.
I also use Net10. The main drawback is that to call Canada from the US you first have to dial a 1-800 number every time to make a connection. A nuisance to me but I'm told that they all do that. Otherwise it's fine. I just have to try to remember my new number every winter !
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Tracfone is probably the cheapest payg if you don't use loads of minutes, can pick one up for $10 at walmart, target etc.

ATT have a sim payg too, but your phone will have to be unlocked if you want to stick it in.