Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

US/Canada border allowance

US/Canada border allowance

Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

sarah.h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US/Canada border allowance

Want to go grocery and cloth shopping over to USA, Does anyone know how much you can bring it back,and can we bring fruit and vegetables. Our friend went over last week and they asked the border agency staff that what items they not allowed to bring back, and their answer was citrus fruit.
Sorry this question might have been asked before but i couldn't find it.Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/Canada border allowance

Try this link
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html
Basically less than 24 hours nothing must pay taxes on all goods
24 - 48 hours $50 Canadian no alcohol or tobacco exemptions. If you exceed the $50 then everything is subject to taxes/
48 hours up to 7 days $400 Canadian plus the 1.14 litres of alcohol, 200 cigarettes. See link for more detailed info.
As a rough guide if goods are duty free then you will be paying around $12 on each $100 over any exemption.
If not interested in booze then why bother with the 2 nights hotel and meals just go down for the same day and declare everything.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

We nip over to Massena once a month (for the day) to do our grocery shopping and have never (touch wood) had any trouble coming back in, or been charged duty.

Most of the time we have around $500 worth of groceries, and always declared it to the customs officer and always keep the receipts in case we get a secondary inspection.

Whilst away from the country for 24 hours, you have no allowance, but you can still bring back in certain goods manufactured in Mexico or the States, duty free, under the NAFTA agreement (which is probably why we never have any trouble with our groceries).

With regards to the booze... always, always declare it. If you get a good deal it will still likely work out cheaper even after paying taxes on it. I phoned customs prior to a trip once and they told me on an average 24 case of beer, you'll pay around $10 (FL, correct me if I'm wrong?). The sickening thing - $5 of that goes straight to the LCBO (in Ontario obviously).

Before Christmas, in Massena, I bought 28 bottles of Blue for $16, and 30 cans of Molson for $20. In the end we paid $30 in duty, so I estimated we saved around $10-$15. Not a great amount, but as we were there already, why not save a bit?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you can even get lucky with a small amount of alcohol.

There is no sales tax on basic groceries, in the US or Canada, so not much of a concern for Customs for tax purposes. There are limits on meat and dairy but sufficient for normal shopping. Some fruit and veg items are not permitted so we don't bother with anything. It is fresher and just as cheap in our local greengrocers.

As said above, declare everything.

One word of warning for BCers. Browsing the wine selection (and prices) in Costco will make you seriously consider applying for a Green Card.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

I went over the border at Niagra on the December 29th. Through the Lewiston/Queenston Bridge. A true female went to shop in the sales. I crossed at 4pm into the US and back into Canada at 9:30pm. I had spent $300.00 in the sales. Declared the whole haul to the customs officer was asked the same questions 3 times. " Do you have any alcohol?" Then I was waved through with all my items tax free. Phew! Just as well as I had my new years eve ball gown I had scooped a bargain on.

I will certainly go again soon maybe Family Day weekend. As it will be President Day.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose1
I went over the border at Niagra on the December 29th. Through the Lewiston/Queenston Bridge. A true female went to shop in the sales. I crossed at 4pm into the US and back into Canada at 9:30pm. I had spent $300.00 in the sales. Declared the whole haul to the customs officer was asked the same questions 3 times. " Do you have any alcohol?" Then I was waved through with all my items tax free. Phew! Just as well as I had my new years eve ball gown I had scooped a bargain on.

I will certainly go again soon maybe Family Day weekend. As it will be President Day.
Just dont always expect the same result
You got a break and did everything right so you benefited. Just goes to show we are not always the SHOPPING POLICE
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:25 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wolstie
We nip over to Massena once a month (for the day) to do our grocery shopping and have never (touch wood) had any trouble coming back in, or been charged duty.

Most of the time we have around $500 worth of groceries, and always declared it to the customs officer and always keep the receipts in case we get a secondary inspection.

Whilst away from the country for 24 hours, you have no allowance, but you can still bring back in certain goods manufactured in Mexico or the States, duty free, under the NAFTA agreement (which is probably why we never have any trouble with our groceries).

With regards to the booze... always, always declare it. If you get a good deal it will still likely work out cheaper even after paying taxes on it. I phoned customs prior to a trip once and they told me on an average 24 case of beer, you'll pay around $10 (FL, correct me if I'm wrong?). The sickening thing - $5 of that goes straight to the LCBO (in Ontario obviously).

Before Christmas, in Massena, I bought 28 bottles of Blue for $16, and 30 cans of Molson for $20. In the end we paid $30 in duty, so I estimated we saved around $10-$15. Not a great amount, but as we were there already, why not save a bit?
Hi! We are moving to Ottawa in the next few months - can I PM you for more details of your cross-border shopping trips? Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Skimom
Hi! We are moving to Ottawa in the next few months - can I PM you for more details of your cross-border shopping trips? Thanks!
Of course
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

From my nexus guide:

Prohibited for entry into Canada: (products may vary according to province of import)

Fresh: apples, apricots, nectarines, plums, peaches, quince, blueberries, hawthorn, cherries, corn on the cob, potatoes.

Pet food containing beef

Firewood

For further info - www.inspection.gc.ca

Also - Any meat within the allowances has to be identified as products of the USA.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
From my nexus guide:

Prohibited for entry into Canada: (products may vary according to province of import)

Pet food containing beef

For further info - www.inspection.gc.ca

Ha ha so true. We bought just a few cans of cat food and a bag of treats when we moved up here and they read the label on every one and confiscated any that contained beef or products.

I think the cats got over it but you never can tell.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Sometimes you can even get lucky with a small amount of alcohol.

One word of warning for BCers. Browsing the wine selection (and prices) in Costco will make you seriously consider applying for a Green Card.
Exactly, that's why we always try and vacation across the border - we save a small fortune. Even the Costco wine in Maui is cheap compared to BC.