US to Canada

Old Aug 22nd 2001, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

L&MAsp is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been reading the postings on this site for several weeks now… and I’ve gotten many answers, but still have questions… Here’s my situation…

My boyfriend (a Canadian citizen) and I (US Citizen) would like to be married and live in Canada… I know that given only that part of the story – the simplest solution would be to apply for a fiancée visa/permanent residency…

However, my prior spouse is dragging our divorce out as long as he possibly can, so we do not know how long it will take until I am legally able to qualify as a “fiancée� for the Canadian visa/permanent residency process…

We have considered living together until my divorce is final… And from the information I’ve read, I believe I could stay in Canada up to 6 months as a temporary visitor… but I would not be able to work during that time – without some type of employment authorization…

I don’t have certified IT skills – so I don’t think I could qualify for skilled worker employment authorization… I know that I could take my chances after I got to Canada, and hope I can get a job offer from a company willing to go through the whole employment authorization application process – but what are the odds of that?

I have considered going back to school, for some type of IT certification… Could I do that schooling while staying as a temporary visitor in Canada? If I need a Student Visa – how difficult is that to get – and how long does that process normally take?

If I’m able to get employment authorization and/or student visa I assume then that the 6-month time limit is null/void… But if I can’t get those items – how long would I have to go back to the US before being able to come back to Canada for another 6 month stay?

Any suggestions or guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated.