Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Updating Iplayer

Updating Iplayer

Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:35 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Updating Iplayer

Frustrated.com

So brought my iplayer app on my ipad when we came in January. However we were on satellite internet at home and dns/iplayer didn't work with it- too slow. Fast forward to our new house, a telephone line internet "high speed" as it's called, have got a dns in place. Opened a new itunes account to a UK version, and put the dns in. My iplayer upgrade comes on but it won't allow me to do it as it says I'm in the Canadian App Store and it's not available.

Is it possibe to upgrade iplayer while in Canada? It must be surely- you guys all do it. We have been watching iplayer through my husbands account/phone with a dns set up in his work, but need to set something up at home. Disappointed I can't seem to get it to work on my ipad.

We have a bought an Apple TV (unopened in case we want to buy Roku) but that must surely work on your ability for your itunes account to access iplayer which mine can't. What's the best way forward from here?

It might have helped had I not changed my original uk itunes account to the us version to download a tv programme. Now I can't get rid of the season pass to change it back to the original uk account. A common problem from what I can gather from the apple store forum hence the opening a new one.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old Jun 27th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice
Default Re: Updating Iplayer

I recently had to upgrade my iplayer on the ipad - you have to be signed into your iTunes UK account & make the iplayer think you are in the UK ie..behind a vpn or change DNS to UK

I was trying to update mine & had forgot I was in the Canadian iTunes store

Do both of above & it works fine
Old Jun 28th 2014, 2:02 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply. I did that though. UK itunes account and DNS, and it still came up as canadian store, not sure why!
Old Jun 28th 2014, 11:29 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I upgrade ITV player, 4OD and iPlayer apps fro my ipad by logging into my UK itunes account and downloading from there. Works fine, then I just flip back to the Canadian store.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I upgrade ITV player, 4OD and iPlayer apps fro my ipad by logging into my UK itunes account and downloading from there. Works fine, then I just flip back to the Canadian store.
^What he said.

Get yourself a VPN connection and run your UK media stuff via VPN. Works for PCs/tablets/smartphones. There are free services, but i pay for the reliability and awesome connection quality of IPVanish VPN at around $12 per month. It does most country's IP addresses which is handy if you're into the content of US Netflix etc.

Pick your UK server and connect to the Itunes store to update your apps. That content is driven purely by IP address in the same way BBC iPlayer/ITV/4oD are.

There's nothing to it apart from that...but do yourself a favor and make sure you're using a UK iTunes a/c to begin with
Old Jun 29th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I used iplayer and ITV player on meh daughters iPad mini - I can't update them on that, I get the same, even though I am logged into my UK iTunes account, it takes me to the Canadian store. However, on my iPad, it changed and updated with no problems! My older daughter tried to update on her iPod and couldn't do it.
Not sure why - all settings are the same for us all. Seems the iPad mini and the iPod won't work - they are newer and bought in Canada - my iPad is 2.5 years old and bought in the UK. Not sure if any of those factors mean anything?
Old Jun 29th 2014, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleo
I used iplayer and ITV player on meh daughters iPad mini - I can't update them on that, I get the same, even though I am logged into my UK iTunes account, it takes me to the Canadian store. However, on my iPad, it changed and updated with no problems! My older daughter tried to update on her iPod and couldn't do it.
Not sure why - all settings are the same for us all. Seems the iPad mini and the iPod won't work - they are newer and bought in Canada - my iPad is 2.5 years old and bought in the UK. Not sure if any of those factors mean anything?
The devices not working MUST broadcast a UK IP address when trying to access UK data, whatever it happens to be.

Example -
My laptop must connect to a UK VPN server to get a UK IP address.
My iPad must connect to a UK VPN server to get a UK IP address.
My iPod must connect to a UK VPN server to get a UK IP address.

Each device is independent, unless you have your router configured to at the perimeter network level

Open up the devices NOT working and get your IP address - go to What Is My IP - The IP Address Experts Since 1999 and it will tell you where you're connecting from.

Simply being logged into your UK Itunes a/c is nothing to do with it - the app stores and all the streaming services such as iPlayer perform real-time sniffing of your IP address, therefore you must broadcast an IP address from the UK!

I can assure you that these devices will connect to UK content if they are talking from the right place
Old Jun 29th 2014, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuabroad
The devices not working MUST broadcast a UK IP address when trying to access UK data, whatever it happens to be.

Example -
My laptop must connect to a UK VPN server to get a UK IP address.
My iPad must connect to a UK VPN server to get a UK IP address.
My iPod must connect to a UK VPN server to get a UK IP address.

Each device is independent, unless you have your router configured to at the perimeter network level

Open up the devices NOT working and get your IP address - go to What Is My IP - The IP Address Experts Since 1999 and it will tell you where you're connecting from.

Simply being logged into your UK Itunes a/c is nothing to do with it - the app stores and all the streaming services such as iPlayer perform real-time sniffing of your IP address, therefore you must broadcast an IP address from the UK!

I can assure you that these devices will connect to UK content if they are talking from the right place
They are all connected exactly the same. All via unblockus.com - all the same settings. It logs in and says we are connected to UK store until we try to update - it just says not available in Canadian store. They worked before - no problem to download the original app, just seems to have a problem trying to update. On the iPad mini and the iPod, it just said "update required" yet on my iPad, it gave me the option to update later. I don't know what else could be different in the settings.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 12:46 am
Muskoka, Ontario

That's what mine says Caleo. My husband who's only using a dns, not a VPN on his canadian bought iPhone can update iplayer. Go figure!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caleo
They are all connected exactly the same. All via unblockus.com - all the same settings. It logs in and says we are connected to UK store until we try to update - it just says not available in Canadian store. They worked before - no problem to download the original app, just seems to have a problem trying to update. On the iPad mini and the iPod, it just said "update required" yet on my iPad, it gave me the option to update later. I don't know what else could be different in the settings.
Can't vouch for unblockus.com.

Nothing is a substitute for a dedicated VPN. What's your IP address using the link i included above? That's the test...reboot your device...run 'unblockus.com'...then tell me what your ip public address is...
Old Jun 30th 2014, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Can't vouch for unblockus.com.

Nothing is a substitute for a dedicated VPN. What's your IP address using the link i included above? That's the test...reboot your device...run 'unblockus.com'...then tell me what your ip public address is...
We are on our travels right now - home on Saturday, so I will check then and get back to you. Thank you - I really would like to get them working, and hopefully this will help Tinytory too
Old Jun 30th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Frustrated.com

So brought my iplayer app on my ipad when we came in January. However we were on satellite internet at home and dns/iplayer didn't work with it- too slow. Fast forward to our new house, a telephone line internet "high speed" as it's called, have got a dns in place. Opened a new itunes account to a UK version, and put the dns in. My iplayer upgrade comes on but it won't allow me to do it as it says I'm in the Canadian App Store and it's not available.

Is it possibe to upgrade iplayer while in Canada? It must be surely- you guys all do it. We have been watching iplayer through my husbands account/phone with a dns set up in his work, but need to set something up at home. Disappointed I can't seem to get it to work on my ipad.

We have a bought an Apple TV (unopened in case we want to buy Roku) but that must surely work on your ability for your itunes account to access iplayer which mine can't. What's the best way forward from here?

It might have helped had I not changed my original uk itunes account to the us version to download a tv programme. Now I can't get rid of the season pass to change it back to the original uk account. A common problem from what I can gather from the apple store forum hence the opening a new one.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!
There's a whole range of options but I use ProxyPlayer - Proxy and VPN Services | UK IP Address | UK Proxy UK VPN
Not had a problem with speed but then I have fast home internet - what's your broadband speed?
Old Jul 1st 2014, 4:16 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Slow "high speed" of 5/6 Mbps.... Sigh

Anyhow all sorted! My new uk itunes account which I created recently couldn't upgrade, but I finally managed to get the season pass off my original itunes account- which I had changed to Canada store- change it back to the uk (where the app originated from), used Overplay DNS which doesn't change the IP address on the router (Smarty DNS didn't work for us for that reason) and hey presto it allowed me to upgrade iplayer/itv/4od and I can watch them all now.

So for me it was the itunes account/App Store that was blocking me upgrade.